Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silly charging question

• 27-04-2017 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭

Is it ok to leave a leaf plugged into my workplace charger even if it gets to 100% early in the day? It's about a 15 minute walk from my office so would ideally just like to plug in when I arrive and forget about it for the day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Orebro wrote:
    Is it ok to leave a leaf plugged into my workplace charger even if it gets to 100% early in the day? It's about a 15 minute walk from my office so would ideally just like to plug in when I arrive and forget about it for the day.

Nothing wrong with that other than leaving it sit at a high state of charge all day. Why not set an end timer and npt a start time, have it at 100% for when you need it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Orebro wrote: »

I would aim to stop it at 100% as soon as, and maybe once a week leave it to sit all day to balance the cells.

I really need to do this soon as I haven't met it sit over night once since I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

This question got me thinking... I am plugging in my IONIQ each evening, even if next day I have enough to go to work and back without charge. Same logic applies? I should not just keep it at 100% all night? I've seen there is a way to schedule charge times, but they are literally times when to start or stop charge, nothing about "car knowing automatically when to start charging to get to 100% by the time I need to drive off".

Please advise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Mope wrote: »
    This question got me thinking... I am plugging in my IONIQ each evening, even if next day I have enough to go to work and back without charge. Same logic applies? I should not just keep it at 100% all night? I've seen there is a way to schedule charge times, but they are literally times when to start or stop charge, nothing about "car knowing automatically when to start charging to get to 100% by the time I need to drive off".

Please advise

It'll be grand.

Love the answer :D

I strongly believe that manufacturer thought about this scenario of night charging and car has some sort of stop mechanism and not taking more charge after 100% is reached. Similar to phones? :]

• Advertisement

Yup.

Just don't leave it sitting there for weeks on end without using it.

Other than that it's better to have the extra utility of a charged car.

That's the way I've done it and in almost 250,000km of EV driving I've not had cause to regret it.

cros13 wrote: »
    Yup.

Just don't leave it sitting there for weeks on end without using it.

Other than that it's better to have the extra utility of a charged car.

That's the way I've done it and in almost 250,000km of EV driving I've not had cause to regret it.

But not the one vehicle of course ........ big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If the spot is yours to stay in all day then use the onboard timer to have it ready for you at going home time, I have that for the home charge so car is ready at at 05:50: both charged and heated

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Exactly what I do at work, charger activates at 4pm and fully charged and balanced by 8PM when I leave.

But not the one vehicle of course ........ big difference.

Sure ~60k on both Leafs... and I'm over 120,000km on the i3 now, my cars don't get an easy life... but the worst of the batteries is still well above 90% capacity (having come from the factory with between 95-97%). For my mileage that indicates I'm going to get my money's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

In some parts, it's no good practice to block a bay with a fully charged EV, and I have read of fines being levied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

reboot wrote: »
    In some parts, it's no good practice to block a bay with a fully charged EV, and I have read of fines being levied.

Fine on a private (company) charger would probably be difficult to apply. I agree it's antisocial though :pac:

OP, what would you do if you arrived to work one day and another lad had his car plugged in until the end of your shift? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think its down to the numbers.
    What is the ratio of chargers to EV owners in the company?

Can other users pull in to the charger alongside you? Once your charge is complete they can simply unplug you and plug in themselves as long as you haven't set the charge port to lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

We all know each other there, no worries about that at all, someone could call me to move for example, or vice versa. Right now we have one more charge point than there are EVs. Obviously completely different to public charge point behaviour.

We all know each other there, no worries about that at all, someone could call me to move for example, or vice versa. Right now we have one more charge point than there are EVs. Obviously completely different to public charge point behaviour.

Ah, I'm with you now. Your question is more about whats good for the battery rather than charger etiquette and there are more chargers than EV's.

In that case its OK to leave it plugged in. However, if you are leaving at the same time everyday you should consider using the timers or remote activation via the phone app so that it chargers in time for you to leave rather than leaving it at 100% for long periods. Its impossible to tell how much of an effect it would have on the battery but its generally considered best to reduce the amount of time the battery is at 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

KCross wrote: »
    Ah, I'm with you now. Your question is more about whats good for the battery rather than charger etiquette and there are more chargers than EV's.

In that case its OK to leave it plugged in. However, if you are leaving at the same time everyday you should consider using the timers or remote activation via the phone app so that it chargers in time for you to leave rather than leaving it at 100% for long periods. Its impossible to tell how much of an effect it would have on the battery but its generally considered best to reduce the amount of time the battery is at 100%.

True, but the 100% refers to days ( like a week or more ) , not a few hours

BoatMad wrote: »
    True, but the 100% refers to days ( like a week or more ) , not a few hours

The unknown for me was whether one stint of 100% for a week is the same as 12hrs at 100% for 2 weeks. Is that the same or not to the health of the battery?

KCross wrote: »
    The unknown for me was whether one stint of 100% for a week is the same as 12hrs at 100% for 2 weeks. Is that the same or not to the health of the battery?

Full for a given period is worse then full for twice as long but for half the time

Various effects occur , anode plating , dendritic growth , and worse , increaed parastic activity when Li are fully charged , breaking that cycle with a discharge helps

However quantifying this in terms of an effect on your particular battery would be impossible , it's far more likely , that usage factors will overshadow these effects

Everything adds up !

So basically, you guys could write up 5 DOs and 5 Don'ts and up vote to sticky in regards - How to look after your EV the best or smth ðŸ‘🀓

• Advertisement

Mope wrote: »
    So basically, you guys could write up 5 DOs and 5 Don'ts and up vote to sticky in regards - How to look after your EV the best or smth ðŸ‘🀓

No , because in reality we have no real data to assign a priority or weighing to any given battery Dos and Donts. There is already too many myths and half truths and voodoo science/advice floating around already.

Just use the car, stop worrying about the battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

+1

And we all have a decent warranty. And in practice there's a bit of battery degradation over a very long time. Nothing to worry about.

unkel wrote: »
    +1

And we all have a decent warranty. And in practice there's a bit of battery degradation over a very long time. Nothing to worry about.

Absolutely , it's not like loosing a bar invalidates the car

Advertisement