Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LDV EG10 BEV people carrier

• 27-04-2017 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭

So LDV has launched the EG10 7-seater in the UK (though it will mainly be sold in China as an SAIC). No price or detailed spec as of yet.

150kW motor
    800Nm torque
    Range roughly similar to the eNV-200
    30kW charging via type 2 or an inductive loop wireless charger

img_20170425_125119.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's a lot nicer looking than the Maxus anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

30kW charging via AC.... Lovely
    I'd like IONIQ have at least 14.... SCP would not be such a painful operation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Could also guarantee a fast charge (fastish) without a long wait at most of the AC43 connections.

Mope wrote: »
    30kW charging via AC.... Lovely
    I'd like IONIQ have at least 14.... SCP would not be such a painful operation

I find AC quiet useful in the Leaf at 6.6 Kw, it means several trips can be met without having to wait at fast chargers. On route is another matter and where DC is king but AC really is convenient.

Renault at least got that right and they along with Nissan promised the ESB more capable electrics with 22 KW AC but it didn't happen.

At the very least AC will cut down on the time needed on DC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wonder what size battery is in it. 30 kWh?

• Advertisement

I find AC quiet useful in the Leaf at 6.6 Kw, it means several trips can be met without having to wait at fast chargers. On route is another matter and where DC is king but AC really is convenient.

Renault at least got that right and they along with Nissan promised the ESB more capable electrics with 22 KW AC but it didn't happen.

At the very least AC will cut down on the time needed on DC.
    I find that the 6kW AC charging in my leaf is great for destination charging, as it brings you from <20 to >80 in the same time that I can go shopping and for a coffee, or to a film etc.

However the time I was most thankful for the 6 kW ac was when I arrived with "---"% at an FCP that was down and the nearest was 60km away. 1.5 hours on the AC versus over 4 if it was only 3 kW.

Yeah there's no denying the benefits of AC especially at higher rates, the Ioniq drivers should be thankful the car came with 7Kw AC as standard !

I couldn't count the time and hassle AC charging has saved me at fast chargers !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    I find that the 6kW AC charging in my leaf is great for destination charging, as it brings you from <20 to >80 in the same time that I can go shopping and for a coffee

LOL, it takes you 2.5 hours to go shopping or for a coffee? (that's the time it takes to take a 24kWh Leaf with 6.6kW charging from 20-80%)

I do my shopping in a bit more than 0.5 hours. That's the time it would take most EVs on a fast charger from 5-95%...

unkel wrote: »
    LOL, it takes you 2.5 hours to go shopping or for a coffee? (that's the time it takes to take a 24kWh Leaf with 6.6kW charging from 20-80%)

I do my shopping in a bit more than 0.5 hours. That's the time it would take most EVs on a fast charger from 5-95%...

If you're doing you weekly shopping yeah sure, not if you're going to the Smoke for a day out from the sticks lol. Where I just come back to the car and drive off and I'm not then taking up a DC spot for someone who genuinely needs it.

You just see AC as slow and useless when used to 65 Kw DC ! :D

For us leafers with much slower DC AC is very practical, however , the more you use AC the less you'll need to hang around at fast charge points.

Wait until you have the Ioniq for a lot longer and venture to different places where you won't be returning for a few hours and you'll be glad to hop into the car and just drive off or at least spend half the time or less fast charging. Fast charging will get old fast lol especially when you have to queue and I stand by my point that the more people use AC the less blocking of DC points.

So say you go to Dundrum SC for some shopping, coffee at starbucks and return to your car. For me - with an OH who enjoys her shopping - generally it's closer to two hours than 0.5. And my leaf would not be guaranteed to go from 20-80 in 30 minutes on a DC charger.

(Incidentally i had a 24hr test drive in an Ioniq recently and there is no comparison in DCQC times so there is no need to mention that! lol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

ELM327 wrote: »
    Wonder what size battery is in it. 30 kWh?

Not sure... but probably around that. It's a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery so it's probably slightly heavier than a leaf pack.

Wait until you have the Ioniq for a lot longer and venture to different places where you won't be returning for a few hours and you'll be glad to hop into the car and just drive off or at least spend half the time or less fast charging. Fast charging will get old fast lol especially when you have to queue

But that's my whole point. There should be enough fast chargers that you rarely have to queue. And fast forward a few years, you should be able to charge your 60kWh battery from 20-80 in 5 minutes

And I didn't mean at all the speed difference in fast charging between Ioniq and Leaf, I just mean looking forward, when all EVs can charge just like ICE cars fill up now

And we will all laugh looking back at the silly idea of going to the shops, hooking up for 2 hours, after getting your own cable out, all for gaining just 10kW :p

Not everyone needs to charge as fast as possible, if I can plug in , walk away and come back to a charged car or even enough to get home I'm quiet happy with this.

Yes, Ideally we need much faster charging and many more chargers but perhaps we could also see 20-30 Kw DC chargers instead of AC points for the same reason, we don't need to charge as fast as possible all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It's really great to see a 7 seater BEV but the fast charge time is a step back. They need to do better.

LDV says that the EG10 can be charged in just an hour and a half using a 30kw DC rapid charger, although it will take 16 hours to replenish the lithium battery from a standard 220v power outlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

This article on autoexpress indicates

0-60mph in 14 seconds (Really slow for an EV)
    A 6 speed automatic gearbox. (Why?)
    Slow "rapid" charging at 30kW. (It is 2017 ffs!)

While it is good to see a larger EV on the market this one just seems a bit sh?t to me. The e-NV 200 7 seater is still a better option despite it being a 5 year old design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

More likely that auto express got their facts wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

But that's my whole point. There should be enough fast chargers that you rarely have to queue. And fast forward a few years, you should be able to charge your 60kWh battery from 20-80 in 5 minutes

And I didn't mean at all the speed difference in fast charging between Ioniq and Leaf, I just mean looking forward, when all EVs can charge just like ICE cars fill up now

And we will all laugh looking back at the silly idea of going to the shops, hooking up for 2 hours, after getting your own cable out, all for gaining just 10kW :p

The solution to EVs will never be public charging , the solution is and has to be based around home charging , public charging will be limited to a few large scale " charging plazas " probably based in MSAs. A degree of destination charging will exist , but by its nature will be very limited in numbers and long range EVs will mean they will not be generally needed.

Think of it like this , with electricity at 6 cents a kWh night rate , why would the solution be fast chargers at upwards of 50 cents a kWh, as has been seen elsewhere )

Absolutely. Home charging for all your local driving, but superquick fast charging for all your longer distance travel. I mean currently in say a Leaf if you'd go from Wexford to Donegal and back in a day, how much time would you spend at fast chargers, even if you did not have to queue at all - maybe 8 to 10 times at 40 minutes each time? That's 6 hours completely lost waiting. Best case scenario. That should go down to charging once or twice (on a motorway service station, paid by the kWh) and 5 minutes each time.

if you'd go from Wexford to Donegal and back in a day, how much time would you spend at fast chargers, even if you did not have to queue at all - maybe 8 to 10 times at 40 minutes each time

2-3 times... but your point is accepted.

Belfast to Cork is the worst trip on the island of Ireland. All motorway and 400-450km.
    A model S 100D can just do it in one go in winter 10% above the speed limit. An Ioniq would need 3 stops and a Leaf 4-5 in the same conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Absolutely. Home charging for all your local driving, but superquick fast charging for all your longer distance travel. I mean currently in say a Leaf if you'd go from Wexford to Donegal and back in a day, how much time would you spend at fast chargers, even if you did not have to queue at all - maybe 8 to 10 times at 40 minutes each time? That's 6 hours completely lost waiting. Best case scenario. That should go down to charging once or twice (on a motorway service station, paid by the kWh) and 5 minutes each time.

The Leaf bashing with you is chronic at this stage :pac:

• Advertisement

Give over will ya. I'm just comparing the most common EV of today to the most common EV of the future, say in 5-10 years time. In what I see is the future of fast charging we need.

cros13 wrote: »
    2-3 times..

Malin Head to Rosslare and back is well over 900km! How is that 2-3 times charging??? :p

(for sure the highest capacity Tesla Model S could just about do it with 2 charges but nothing else available today can come close)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Belfast to Cork is the worst trip on the island of Ireland. All motorway and 400-450km.

What's so bad about it? There are at least 8 FCPs (triple head too) along that route...

Malin Head to Rosslare and back is well over 900km! How is that 2-3 times charging??? :p

Sorry I thought you meant one way between Donegal town and Wexford town ... which is 350-400km and via Monasterevin and Mullingar is basically all N road with 80-100km/h limits. For that particular trip the back roads take the same time as going via Dublin.

Even Malin to Rosslare would not be over 800km round trip and a Model S could do it easily with one 15-20 minute stop.
    What's so bad about it? There are at least 8 FCPs (triple head too) along that route...

No problem... it just happens to be the most energy intensive route that's commonly travelled. So it's a good worst case for the typical driver who doesn't live in a cottage at the furthest north point of Malin Head and uses Rosslare europort for some reason :rolleyes: :p .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

You can still drive on motorways at 100 km/h ;)
    I've done this many times (and on this route) with no issues.

I did say "and back" :p
    Even Malin to Rosslare would not be over 800km round trip

912km according to Google maps from Malin head to Rosslare port...

I don't think I was too far off with 8-10 charges for the most common EV in Ireland today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Don't see the point of these " extreme " journey examples. I personally find that 2 hours non stop is the most I can withstand behind the wheel , after that I would be taking lunch breaks and coffee breaks

Hence the genuine additional travel time due to charging is often much less then presented in these "extreme" journeys

For example I do a regular 220 km N80 journey , ( five fcps ) ,

I just did it yesterday , leaving with the 30 kWh with 100 % , and 9 minutes charging at Carlow , overall efficiency was 14.7 kWh

Google gives the time as 2 hours 45 , which I've never achieved in the ice. ( 2 hours 55 was best )

The leaf completed the journey in 3 hours 5 minutes and this included a bathroom stop arriving home with 20 % and 39 km remaining on the GOM

I was easily one of the fastest on the road given the amount of overtaking I had to do, the amount of Sunday drivers toddling along at 70km/h is astounding in Ireland

The greater acceleration of the leaf low down , meant I could overtake faster and quicker then my ice.

Advertisement