Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

California gal racing IM Dublin w/questions ~ hotel and gear rentals

Options
  • 28-04-2017 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello from sunny southern California ... I'll be racing IM Dublin on Aug 20th and would love to rent a bike/wheels/wetsuit in Dublin instead of transporting mine.
    I found one shop that rents a bike, but not the suite or wheels.  Another rents a sleeveless suit but not the bike or wheels.  I arrive on August 16, and the last thing I want to do is run around town piecing my gear together.  Does anyone know one place that rents road bikes, wheels, and wetsuit???  Plus, someone said I should stay close to the finish line.  Phoenix Park Hotel and the Ashling Hotel look nice. Are they, or does anyone have a better suggestion???  In advance, thanks for all suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I don't know which shop you found, but I think Wheelworx, a Dublin based bike shop, might be able to sort you out with those three rentals. They've been providing official on course bike support for the last two years and have had a van at registration, so they should be able to meet you there in advance of the race to save you travelling out to the shop.

Or you could become a regular poster here, make a few friends and somebody might be willing to give you all three things for free. :)

On where you should stay, I've never stayed in either and I've no idea what those hotels are like, but I imagine you'd be better off staying close to the start line rather than close to the finish line. If it was me and if I didn't live in Dublin, it's what I'd be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭9Crimes

Agree with Zico re wheelworx, they are probably the best option for rental as they sponsor the event and have a presence on site all weekend.

Disagree with where to stay though. I live 300m from Aisling hotel and raced Dublin 70.3 last year and it was very handy. There are shuttle buses departing the phoenix park (every 5-10minutes) on the morning of the race to bring you to the start line so it's very easy and after the race you can collapse in your nearby hotel room! It's also a very easy spot to base yourself if you wish to explore the city in the days before/after the race.

I have never set foot in either hotel you mentioned but if I was to judge by the outside of the hotel, the Aisling looks nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Hi Annmarie, I've stayed in the Ashling and it's a great hotel so you'll have no bother if you stay there. It's also close to the Luas (light rail system) which will take you to the city centre in a few minutes and across the street from Heuston Station which has trains running to almost all parts of the country if you want to do some exploring after the race.

Like Zico said, stick around the forum and you'll get some good advice and we're a pretty friendly bunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

+1 for the Ashling. I stayed there recently enough. It got a facelift a few years ago and is quite modern and new inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I imagine there are several pros and cons that go along with staying at either location. I just think if you want a less stressful race week, you'd be better spending it around Dun Laoghaire. That's where the Ironman expo is going to be. Never mind the shuttle buses to race start on the morning of the race, you'll need to be over in that part of the city to register and you'll also need to get your bike there, then get back to the Ashling Hotel, on the eve of the race.

I don't know how accustomed you (OP) is to swimming in cold water, but if you're only used to swimming in Sunny California, then you don't want the first time you experience the Irish Sea to be on race morning. Even for Irish competitors, I'd recommend swimming in Scotsman Bay at least twice before Dublin 70.3. It's not so much of a concern for locals who can hop in their cars and turn the heat up to full blast almost as soon as they finish their practice swims, but for those travelling for the race, I imagine having a hotel and a warm shower as close to the sea as possible would be preferable than traipsing across the city.

Of course this all comes with the caveat that I've never needed or stayed in a hotel for this race, but I don't think any of the other posters did either. Far better to get the opinion of someone who actually has. Perhaps the person who told you, you were better off staying near the finish, fits the bill. if that's the case, listen to them not us.

But to be frank, whilst The Phoenix Park itself is nice, the parts of Dublin around those two hotels are pretty run down. If I was staying there, I wouldn't be inclined to leave my room to go for a walk in the evening time; not because it's particularly dangerous, it's just dreary and depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Annemarie du LeBohn

WOW ... thank you to all who shared insight. You've given me much to think about, and I appreciate all advice. While in town I'd love to meet anyone who's racing IM Dublin.  And thanks Zico10 re: the tip that someone might share their gear - for free. That would be soooo fabulous. Thanks again. I'm off to Big Sur to cheer on a friend who's racing a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

And why not staying somewhere in the city centre close to dart line
    Sandymount hotel would be on choice that quite a few people chose the last 2 years. It's close to race venue for registration close to city and close to nice locations such as Howth and bray walk. Or any hotel close to dart and city centre. At the same time zico s points and there is no right and wrong it depends what you prefer
    Ps why don't you bring your own wetsuit it's not that complicated
    ote="Annemarie du LeBohn;10335041"]WOW ... thank you to all who shared insight. You've given me much to think about, and I appreciate all advice. While in town I'd love to meet anyone who's racing IM Dublin.  And thanks Zico10 re: the tip that someone might share their gear - for free. That would be soooo fabulous. Thanks again. I'm off to Big Sur to cheer on a friend who's racing a marathon.[/quote]

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Was going to point out northerm California waters are colder than the water here so you would be used to it. Then I spotted the bit about southern in your post. if you are up the Bay area at any point see if you can get some open water swimming in, will be worse than anything you face here temperature wise.

mossym wrote: »
    Was going to point out northerm California waters are colder than the water here so you would be used to it. Then I spotted the bit about southern in your post. if you are up the Bay area at any point see if you can get some open water swimming in, will be worse than anything you face here temperature wise.
    Thanks Mossym. However while driving to Big Sur I Googled Dublin water temps, and the results said, "40-60 degrees" ... burr (smile).

peter kern wrote: »
    And why not staying somewhere in the city centre close to dart line
    Sandymount hotel would be on choice that quite a few people chose the last 2 years. It's close to race venue for registration close to city and close to nice locations such as Howth and bray walk. Or any hotel close to dart and city centre. At the same time zico s points and there is no right and wrong it depends what you prefer
    Ps why don't you bring your own wetsuit it's not that complicated
    ote="Annemarie du LeBohn;10335041"]WOW ... thank you to all who shared insight. You've given me much to think about, and I appreciate all advice. While in town I'd love to meet anyone who's racing IM Dublin.  And thanks Zico10 re: the tip that someone might share their gear - for free. That would be soooo fabulous. Thanks again. I'm off to Big Sur to cheer on a friend who's racing a marathon.
    [/quote]
    Thanks Peter for suggesting the Sandymount Hotel.  It looks like a great spot, with good reviews, and close to the starting line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Thanks Mossym. However while driving to Big Sur I Googled Dublin water temps, and the results said, "40-60 degrees" ... burr (smile).

burr for sure.

but waters up around monterey/santa cruz are 50 to 52. did a lot of scuba diving in them for years while living in the bay area. water in dublin will e above that by august. only a few degrees, but definitely warmer, so if you can swim in the norcal waters you'll be fine!!

Advertisement