Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy motorway be built? [project approved]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Can you expand on this? An FF government would not be bound by the capital plan of a prior government. Remember how the Coalition tore FF's Transport 21 capital plan to shreds and cancelled pretty much everything? Granted, we were in the poorhouse at the time, but it seems to me like FF would have every choice in the matter if they win the next election.

Its a TEN-T requirement, https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/state-may-have-to-fork-out-500m-on-new-motorways-30287160.html. **** all to do with the Capital Plan.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

TEN-T requirement or not, the M21 (Adare-Rathkeale) and M28 projects are critical projects in both regions that would've been left with the mothballs were it not for TEN-T and two Kenny pet projects put in the Capital plan instead. Thank **** they are a TEN-T requirement or we'd be waiting 20 years for them

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Forgot it was TEN-T to be honest. However, that won't necessarily stop Micheál Martin from refusing to fund construction down the Mulcon Valley and kicking the whole project back to the design board - 2030 is several Dáil terms away! And let's not forget he specifically stated at the oral hearing that he considered the course of the road "unacceptable", and wanted alternate routes to Cork Airport re-examined once again - which would of course put us all the way back to step 1 if he is calling the shots after the election.

Edit: typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Imagine the cost of upgrading Kinsale Roundabout to free flow. No way could it handle the traffic that would go through it. It’s creaking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Forgot it was TEN-T to be honest. However, that won't necessarily stop Micheál Martin from refusing to fund construction down the Mulcon Valley and kicking the whole project back to the design board - 2030 is several Dáil terms away! And let's not forget he specifically stated at the oral hearing that he considered the course of the road "unacceptable", and wanted alternate routes to Cork Airport re-examined once again - which would of course put us all the way back to step 1 if he is calling the shots after the election.

Big Mickey will do what Europe tells him to do, just like every other Final Failure/Final Nail politician in this jokeshop of a country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Forgot it was TEN-T to be honest. However, that won't necessarily stop MicheMartin from refusing to fund construction down the Mulcon Valley and kicking the whole project back to the design board - 2030 is several D terms away! And let's not forget he specifically stated at the oral hearing that he considered the course of the road "unacceptable", and wanted alternate routes to Cork Airport re-examined once again - which would of course put us all the way back to step 1 if he is calling the shots after the election.

Do not worry, FF are known to say anything that goes with public opinion at any time.
    Then get in and forget things, they are very good at forgetting things, look at them since 2008 and they were only in opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

Something should really be done about that N40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Golfer50 wrote:
    Something should really be done about that N40

TII are doing their best to sort out the N28 and are hitting nothing but Nimby roadblocks.
    I guarantee if there was any plans to widen the N40 to say 3 lanes, they'd be up against the same crap. And people wonder why there's no progress in this country.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    TII are doing their best to sort out the N28 and are hitting nothing but Nimby roadblocks.
    I guarantee if there was any plans to widen the N40 to say 3 lanes, they'd be up against the same crap. And people wonder why there's no progress in this country.
    My remark above was sarcasm!
    I have tried to point out in the past that I don't believe that the N28/Bloomfield are suitable end points for a core port Ten-T motorway. I take it from this that you agree?

• Advertisement

Golfer50 wrote:
    My remark above was sarcasm! I have tried to point out in the past that I don't believe that the N28/Bloomfield are suitable end points for a core port Ten-T motorway. I take it from this that you agree?

So where do you propose the end point is? Kinsale Road roundabout? Further west as you said before?
    The simple truth of the matter is Bloomfield really is the best option, but as it's near your house, I'm guessing you don't agree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Bullseye!

Some people are just so selfish these days IMO - that's why this country has become so less friendly (society in general) and so hard to improve for the good of all (M28 situation - a prime example).

Jeez. There's no answer to that - If your idea of society is one where there are no dissenting voices . . . there's no point in discussion.
    If your definition of selfish is the reps who have worked voluntarily on this for months and months . . .

IF this computer generated image is going to be the finished product then it’s very impressive

IF this computer generated image is going to be the finished product then it’s very impressive

More lies and bull i see.
    The closest house to the existing road in that picture is a good 30 meters back from the existing road.
    The terrace of houses behind it are set much further back than demonstrated.

I happen to know the area very well.

More bull and lies from the NIMBY Brigade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Golfer50 wrote: »
    Jeez. There's no answer to that - If your idea of society is one where there are no dissenting voices . . . there's no point in discussion.
    If your definition of selfish is the reps who have worked voluntarily on this for months and months . . .
    Well, there's having reservations and there's stopping progress. At the rate things are going, the Western World will be owned by China, Russia and Saudi Arabia - as a civilisation, we need to pull together and get our infrastructure up to speed. The US is starting to recognise this fact - in one example, they have around 700m of spillway (Oroville @ 2831cms) that can take the flow of 3.5 times the River Shannon at full flood (800cms+) constructed in less than 6 months - note, the Ardnacrusha head race takes 400cms - that included demolition, clearance to bare rock, levelling and construction of the new structure. Yet, the Chinese would far exceed such achievements in the US that we could only dream of. Road building is nothing in terms of engineering and if we can't even manage that, what the hell???

kub wrote: »
    More lies and bull i see.
    The closest house to the existing road in that picture is a good 30 meters back from the existing road.
    The terrace of houses behind it are set much further back than demonstrated.

I happen to know the area very well.

More bull and lies from the NIMBY Brigade.

The lies and NIMBYism isn’t going anywhere, but the road itself looks good.

I’m just anxiously awaiting December 21st in the hope this. Decision is delivered then.

The lies and NIMBYism isn’t going anywhere, but the road itself looks good.

I’m just anxiously awaiting December 21st in the hope this. Decision is delivered then.

Well if the decision is to proceed as planned, happy days and by God the NIMBY brigade will have a miserable Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

One does not have absolute rights to their property, that is why the state can CPO lands to build infrastructure for the greater good of the nation. Otherwise we would not have roads, railways or pretty much anything.

By the way Golfer50, you seem to have knowledge of this steering group. There have been a few computer images now distributed, can you tell us where these are coming from? They look fairly amateur in my honest opinion.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It isn't.

For once, the signage isn't going to have all 4 lanes going the same way. Whatever chump made it forgot that traffic going UP the hill is going to Ringaskiddy not towards Bloomfield where it splits into N40 West/East.

Also, trucks will represent a small quantity of the traffic. To make it accurate there should be 5/6 cars for every truck in the image.

The posts below it are worse. Complete and utter fabrications being spread by a small group of agenda driven cranks intent on stopping a critical piece of infrastructure for Cork, which is also widely supported. The political backing they have received is also shameful.

• Advertisement

There's a difference between "dissenting voices" and this sort of attitude...

marno21 wrote: »
    It isn't.

For once, the signage isn't going to have all 4 lanes going the same way. Whatever chump made it forgot that traffic going UP the hill is going to Ringaskiddy not towards Bloomfield where it splits into N40 West/East.

Also, trucks will represent a small quantity of the traffic. To make it accurate there should be 5/6 cars for every truck in the image.

The posts below it are worse. Complete and utter fabrications being spread by a small group of agenda driven cranks intent on stopping a critical piece of infrastructure for Cork, which is also widely supported. The political backing they have received is also shameful.

You're right, what i was referring to though was the general make up of the road surface/surroundings.

Trucks will represent a minority if anything.

I'd love to know who is actually making those photos up as the previous ones were so bad my kids could do better.

The political backing is purely electioneering,which in the current climate is inevitable.

If Martin succeeds in getting to the top job,which is highly unlikely at present, he'll put it on the long finger of personal priorities.

The steering group is in a minority and they don't have the support they claim to on the face of it.

FUN? If you honestly think having the N28 running almost unprotected past your home for twenty years is fun, that explains a lot.

markodaly wrote: »
    By the way Golfer50, you seem to have knowledge of this steering group. There have been a few computer images now distributed, can you tell us where these are coming from? They look fairly amateur in my honest opinion.
    Sorry, I am nothing to do with the steering group so have no idea who's doing the Photoshops

Sorry, I am nothing to do with the steering group so have no idea who's doing the Photoshops

But I thought the steering group represents 10,000 residents? Is it actually only 9,999?
    Pfft more outlandish claims!

But I thought the steering group represents 10,000 residents? Is it actually only 9,999?
    Pfft more outlandish claims!

:)

Does Harrington stay up drilling holes and start playing jungle music at 3 o’clock in the morning :pac:

FUN? If you honestly think having the N28 running almost unprotected past your home for twenty years is fun, that explains a lot.
    Do you use the N28?

Where were the NIMBY’s when that road was being built in the 90’s?

• Advertisement

Where were the NIMBY’s when that road was being built in the 90’s?
    Golfer50 addressed this question already here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105209880&postcount=206

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement