Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy motorway be built? [project approved]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

marno21 wrote: »
    Golfer50 addressed this question already here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105209880&postcount=206

My oversight.

Accept my apologies.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

My oversight.

Accept my apologies.
    No problem. Just copying the link to save him having to repost. No need to apologize.

I didn't expect when I created the thread it would run to over 500 posts. It's longer than the 12 year old M28 one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

Golfer 50, if the current situation is not to your liking, and the proposed solution is something you think worse than current situation, why don't you move???

You have stated that you have been putting up with an undesirable situation for more than 20 years. In that time your property has appreciated SIGNIFICANTLY, and you would be able to purchase a fine property in another location, one that is free from the annoyances of other people.

I have sympathy for some of the concerns - in particular road noise, but this can be ameliorated with barriers/planting. But the road upgrade is required, and the current route is the most cost effective (least cost ineffective), a classic case of the needs of the many outweighing (far outweighing) the 'needs' of the few.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Baldilocks wrote: »
    Golfer 50, if the current situation is not to your liking, and the proposed solution is something you think worse than current situation, why don't you move???

You have stated that you have been putting up with an undesirable situation for more than 20 years. In that time your property has appreciated SIGNIFICANTLY, and you would be able to purchase a fine property in another location, one that is free from the annoyances of other people.

I have sympathy for some of the concerns - in particular road noise, but this can be ameliorated with barriers/planting. But the road upgrade is required, and the current route is the most cost effective (least cost ineffective), a classic case of the needs of the many outweighing (far outweighing) the 'needs' of the few.
    That's a very good point mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

Very astute. . .is this Mrs G50 by any chance??

• Advertisement

I've had a quick look in my pants, and I can confirm that I'm not Mrs G50 (well highly unlikely, very, very, very unlikely!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anybody in attendance today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Is it still going on?
    Staff in ABP must have the patience of saints to have to listen to some people.

kub wrote: »
    Is it still going on?
    Staff in ABP must have the patience of saints to have to listen to some people.

There's extra days due to the volume of submissions.. should be wrapped up soon.

Decision due by 21 December

It's not reconvening until tomorrow, Tuesday at 10.00 AFAIK

• Advertisement

Golfer50 wrote: »
    It's not reconvening until tomorrow, Tuesday at 10.00 AFAIK

You're right - back tomorrow. My mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

How did today go does anyone know?

How did today go does anyone know?
    I caught a few later hours. There was a presentation earlier in the day to justify the signalising of Rochestown Road junctions following questions from ABP at previous sittings. A resident near Raffeen Quarry was asking questions, there was a submission on the Mulcon Valley slope and implications. This was followed by more QnA on noise and landscaping in Rochestown area especially.
    More talk on CPOs tomorrow. More stuff on noise etc on Thursday which couldn't be accommodated today.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/new-m28-may-have-devastating-impact-on-golf-course-463695.html

I've played at Rathbane Golf Course in Limerick, which is directly beside the M7 with nothing between the two. It's really not that bad. Golf Club must be looking for a few bob.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/new-m28-may-have-devastating-impact-on-golf-course-463695.html

I've played at Rathbane Golf Course in Limerick, which is directly beside the M7 with nothing between the two. It's really not that bad. Golf Club must be looking for a few bob.

Are they forgetting that Mahon golf club runs either side of the SRR near the Mahon exit and this isn't a problem for patrons or motorists.

Are the steering group playing golf these days?

I can just picture Harrington with a 9 iron shouting FORE!!!

Golf Club must be looking for a few bob.
    No. I believe they have quite a few million in the bank following a previous approach from a developer to develop the site - later aborted.

BTW the oral hearing finishes at 5pm tomorrow.

Are the steering group playing golf these days?
    The submission was made by counsel for Douglas Golf Club NOT M28 Steering Group.

And has anyone seen the M28 Steering group and the committee of douglas golf club in the same place at the same time??
    I wonder how many people are members in both?

The submission was made by counsel for Douglas Golf Club NOT M28 Steering Group.

I'd be surprised if none of the steering group had a day out in the local golf club and the M28 came into the topic with the "10,000 people" opposed to it or came across golf club committee members along the way.

I'd be surprised if none of the steering group had a day out in the local golf club and the M28 came into the topic with the "10,000 people" opposed to it or came across golf club committee members along the way.
    Are you implying that the steering group put Douglas Golf club up to this? Bizarre!
    Douglas golf club were fighting their own corner, not to stop the road development you'll be glad to hear, but to get better mitigation.

I'm not sure what you think the whole oral hearing is about but its really a pity that you were not able to be there for some of It because there were many, many submissions each day but usually only one of these would be from the steering committee. These were from landowners, householders, residents groups, landscape consultants, solicitors, Cork Chamber of Commerce today advocating for the road, RPS justifying figures and tables etc etc.

• Advertisement

And has anyone seen the M28 Steering group and the committee of douglas golf club in the same place at the same time??
    I wonder how many people are members in both?
    Are you implying that the steering group put Douglas Golf club up to this? Bizarre!
    Douglas golf club were fighting their own corner, not to stop the road development you'll be glad to hear, but to get better mitigation.

I'm not sure what you think the whole oral hearing is about but its really a pity that you were not able to be there for some of It because there were many, many submissions each day but usually only one of these would be from the steering committee. These were from landowners, householders, residents groups, landscape consultants, solicitors, Cork Chamber of Commerce today advocating for the road, RPS justifying figures and tables etc etc.

I had planned to make an appearance this week, however, things in my personal life took a nasty twist and prevented me doing so.

While I am a Northsider, my profession means I have close links to the area and family living In Carrigaline.

Sorry, hope things are ok.

Sorry, hope things are ok.

Cheers Golfer, nothing that can't be overcome :Dbut still a headache nonetheless :rolleyes:

The Examiners report into the Oral Hearing from yesterday which was mainly business groups expressing support for the project.

It being the Examiner, the M28 Steering Group were asked to comment, with a standard NIMBY line.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/business-groups-back-m28-proposal-amid-frustration-at-lack-of-progress-463772.html

The Examiners report into the Oral Hearing from yesterday which was mainly business groups expressing support for the project.

It being the Examiner, the M28 Steering Group were asked to comment, with a standard NIMBY line.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/business-groups-back-m28-proposal-amid-frustration-at-lack-of-progress-463772.html

NIMBYism is right.

"Responding to Cork Chamber’s contribution yesterday, a spokesperson for the M28 Steering Group said they fully support linking Cork to Ringaskiddy by motorway, but believe alternative routes have not been given due consideration"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

...along with another of those 'Cheese for the camera' photos. Are they for real? :rolleyes:

Middle Man wrote: »
    ...along with another of those 'Cheese for the camera' photos. Are they for real? :rolleyes:

You can see the room is packed behind him, how do they ever fit 10,000 people in there :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Lots of fearmongering about trucks jackknifing into Rochestown on the Taliban Facebook page at the minute. Using words such as "SHOCKING" and "HORRIFIC" is not indicative of a group looking to have their voices heard but a militant group looking to strike fear into peoples minds.

I see that the Facebook page also recommends Harrington, the "traffic expert", as a local representative. So the whole circus has been to launch Harrington's political career. God help us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement