Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy motorway be built? [project approved]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

The Taliban are at it again.

They really have no clue about trucks and their cargo.

The picture they selected for their cover photo says it all where the scaremongering comes into it, this ain't America.

Some contributors are putting it to them though and disagreeing with their stance.

https://www.facebook.com/175111606272101/photos/a.182990068817588.1073741828.175111606272101/384252345358025/?type=3&theater

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Taliban are at it again.

They really have no clue about trucks and their cargo.

The picture they selected for their cover photo says it all where the scaremongering comes into it, this ain't America.

Some contributors are putting it to them though and disagreeing with their stance.

https://www.facebook.com/175111606272101/photos/a.182990068817588.1073741828.175111606272101/384252345358025/?type=3&theater

Some objectors to the motorway giving out about that post. Absolute rubbish about accidents. They can happen on the existing N28 or anywhere else just as easy

marno21 wrote: »
    Some objectors to the motorway giving out about that post. Absolute rubbish about accidents. They can happen on the existing N28 or anywhere else just as easy

The existing N28 is more dangerous than the proposed M28.

With the exception of the spillage on the Shannon Park Roundabout in 2006 there has never been anything near a major incident involving a truck.

Also the way the steering group are putting a lot of their statuses in capital letters is considered shouting on the internet.

The comments are interesting in that opinion is split for once.

I can't believe they just posted this on their page as an argument against the road.

Please tell me i'm not losing my sanity here for god sake.

https://www.facebook.com/175111606272101/photos/p.384475068669086/384475068669086/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

This group are literally making stuff up. I can imagine there’s about 3 of them locked in a room thinking what can they say next.

Their poster campaigns are a disgrace but exploding lorries take the biscuit. And we have a former TD who supports this group. Wow.

Their likes on Facebook also appear to be falling.

• Advertisement

This group are literally making stuff up. I can imagine there’s about 3 of them locked in a room thinking what can they say next.

Their poster campaigns are a disgrace but exploding lorries take the biscuit. And we have a former TD who supports this group. Wow.

Their likes on Facebook also appear to be falling.

Harrington,his wife and Kelleher appear to be the main 3 'steering' the facebook page,it's beyond laughable at this stage and i am beginning to question their mental state.

Buttimer is only in it for the votes as it's like shooting fish in a barrel, if they show opposition they'll get some votes.

Nothing in the figure of the alleged 10,000 mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

It seems a bit desperate at this stage from them and of course the old saying " empty vessels make most noise " comes to mind.

kub wrote: »
    It seems a bit desperate at this stage from them and of course the old saying " empty vessels make most noise " comes to mind.

Or in my case, the screaming babies get heard the most :pac:

Seriously though, with December 21st not long away they are trying their best to scare people less in the know.

I can't see the decision being taken then though.

The latest from Harrington & co.

M28 Steering Group we will post plans to show you and newlyn vale too . i have driven the route many time as i have to go to dublin regulary . Safety standards have been observed,The road cant be built full stop becasue of this HUGE over sight. BLAME YOUR COUNCIL AND TDS , THEY had tunnel vision and never considered ALL ALTERNATIVES . The route is completely contra regulation

I'm not the worlds greatest by no means, but why would ABP plough on with any of this if what the taliban said was true?

The capital letters thing is laughable as well.

If the road get built to the Bandon Roundabout we run the HUGE risk of plane crashes into the motorway. CONTACT YOUR TD’s to stop this alternative madness.

thisscreengr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Have a look at the latest post on the Facebook page which sums this group up.

A picture of a truck on fire telling people that the new M28, which will run "7 metres" from people's houses, will lead to HGV accidents and wreak havoc on Rochestown. Of course, such accidents could never happen on the existing N28, of which the new road is a safety/capacity upgrade.

A multipost debate on the comment sections accusing the group poster of talking rubbish, to which the Steering Group have given out about people "not engaging in the debate and instead posting comments without backing them up".

I've heard it all now. They've reached the stage where they are just making fools of themselves.

marno21 wrote: »
    Have a look at the latest post on the Facebook page which sums this group up.

A picture of a truck on fire telling people that the new M28, which will run "7 metres" from people's houses, will lead to HGV accidents and wreak havoc on Rochestown. Of course, such accidents could never happen on the existing N28, of which the new road is a safety/capacity upgrade.

A multipost debate on the comment sections accusing the group poster of talking rubbish, to which the Steering Group have given out about people "not engaging in the debate and instead posting comments without backing them up".

I've heard it all now. They've reached the stage where they are just making fools of themselves.

The cookie is slowly crumbling.

I have just seen the comments, Harrington is fighting a losing battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You'd hope so.. but I'd still worry that given some of the apparent backing they were getting from TDs and the like (from reading this thread), some sort of fudge will be done to try and keep them happy - probably severely impacting the effectiveness of the project as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

The cookie is slowly crumbling.

I have just seen the comments, Harrington is fighting a losing battle.

It says it all when supporters of the steering group are even calling that post scaremongering.
    Harringtons Mrs looks like a right briar, they both seem to have a real opinion of themselves.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    It says it all when supporters of the steering group are even calling that post scaremongering.
    Harringtons Mrs looks like a right briar, they both seem to have a real opinion of themselves.

Yeah she does alright.

If as expected ABP give this the go ahead, how long can Harrington,Kelleher and Co. delay it for with appeals etc?

Yeah she does alright.

If as expected ABP give this the go ahead, how long can Harrington,Kelleher and Co. delay it for with appeals etc?

If they do appeal, who pays the legal costs?

If they do appeal, who pays the legal costs?

Usually those who don’t succeed but as they are NIMBY’s they’ll probably expect ABP to stump up the cash.

That post on their Facebook page takes biscuit.

All TDs and Councillors supporting the group should be shown what they’ve posted and the rubbish they’re spewing. Buttimer especially.

All TDs and Councillors supporting the group should be shown what they’ve posted and the rubbish they’re spewing. Buttimer especially.

Buttimer is so desperate for votes he’ll probably defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

Rant away lads but this kind of personal comment is surely well out of order

• Advertisement

Golfer50 wrote: »

What do you make of the post with the exploding truck Golfer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Well, there's just been a one star review yesterday - their page rating is 2.8 now - perhaps, people are now seeing this for what it is. Shame on the local politicians.

I really hope the EU says... Just Do It!

Golfer50 wrote: »

It's my opinion, you can take it anyway you want, I really don't care.
    The tactics of these 2 are absolutely disgusting, trying to stifle the growth of the infrastructure of Cork for their own selfish reasons.
    He obviously doesn't care if all these trucks spontaneously combust at Ballinhassig or the Bandon interchange.

If someone wants to see a decent Facebook page for the betterment of Cork, see the page opposing raising the quay walls and instead promoting a tidal barrier.

No scaremongering but a lot of reasoned arguement. A group I’d certainly support along with their aims.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Please do not mention people by name - they are not on here to defend themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Can everyone please avoid using hyperbolic names for the M28 protesters such as Taliban. It lowers the level of debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

Thanks Moderators ,for pointing out not lowering the standard and not using childish group names that adds nothing to the debate. I assume this directive is to be applied to other moderators who have used names like Taliban who should know better.

A reply from the local Senator to me on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/jerrybuttimer/status/940250736541224960

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

A reply from the local Senator to me on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/jerrybuttimer/status/940250736541224960
    Well I'll put it this way - I live within relatively short distance of Dublin Airport (in the East Meath area). A parallel 10/28 runway is to be constructed due to significant growth in air traffic. Of course, that means there'll be more planes in our skies, but I do support the new runway as it will be a very important piece of strategic infrastructure that will greatly benefit Ireland.

However, if I was to acquire inspiration from the M28 steering group, I could suggest altering the direction of the runway slightly so that no planes will come near us - sure if the new runway was something like 7/25 the planes will be fine taking off over Blanchardstown before circling over Wicklow towards England and Europe - the planes wouldn't need to go near us then. The existing 10/28 runway could be used for landing then and as the prevailing wind comes from the West, those planes would be nowhere near us for the most part either. Well, with the steering group's logic, surely what I wrote is plausible! :rolleyes:

I wish that crowd opposing the M28 would cop themselves on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

while I certainly don't agree with the name-calling, nor condone, it is hardly unreasonable to expect members and supporters of the M28 steering group to cease engaging in spreading lies, and refusing to tolerate reasonable debate.
    The photoshopped images that have been presented recently are a disgrace - using a picture from an accident in 1978 in Spain, is shambolic.
    Passion is not substitute for logic, and if you can't win an debate using reason - it's time concede, preferably with a bit of grace

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement