Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy motorway be built? [project approved]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Someone at the Examiner / Echo has a bee in their bonnet about this development.

The size of the anti brigade is being over estimated by at least a factor of 10. Vast majority see this development as very positive for Cork.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Discussion with Peej (who admitted he lives near the N28 and has issues with it, but he's not as militant as others) on 96FM this morning featuring Thomas McHugh of Cork Chamber, Gerard Harrington of the M28 Steering Group and Lorna Bogue from the Green Party, who isn't elected and is advocating a rail link to the relocated port bearing in mind that the rail connection to the existing Port is disconnected due to lack of use, Braham Brennan of the Ringaskiddy & District Residents Association, Cllr. Marcia Dalton

Starts at 32 minutes in.

https://soundcloud.com/opinionline96/2018-07-05-the-m28-motorway-more-on-brians-catfishing-the-heat-in-cumh-more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I get why someone who is going to be directly affected by the M28 would object.

But some of these people who object just to get potential votes in the next election dont have a clue about the Reality and the Necessity of the New Road.

Some amount of hysteria and conspiracy theories linking this road to the incinerator.

Seemingly the M20 will then also need to be done to bring the ash to Bottle Hill.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Some amount of hysteria and conspiracy theories linking this road to the incinerator.

Seemingly the M20 will then also need to be done to bring the ash to Bottle Hill.
    Where was this? The M28 approval was nothing do with the incinerator. The incinerator approval had a lot to do with the M28 though.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Where was this? The M28 approval was nothing do with the incinerator. The incinerator approval had a lot to do with the M28 though.

Various forums on line. Facebook especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Hi All,

I've not been long in cork but have just gone sale agreed on a house on the Rochestown rd... near the topaz.

Just wondering would any of you reconsider purchasing? Am wondering if there's going to be increased noise pollution, decrease in house value etc.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Near the Topaz? It will have no effect on you at all. No noise there from the road as you are quite a way from it. It should benefit you depending on where you are there as you won't be held up at peak times coming off the N40/N28 onto the Rochestown Road by cars turning right up Clarkes Hill. They will have a turning lane now which might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Hi All,

I've not been long in cork but have just gone sale agreed on a house on the Rochestown rd... near the topaz.

Just wondering would any of you reconsider purchasing? Am wondering if there's going to be increased noise pollution, decrease in house value etc.

Cheers,

Wouldn't be worried about any noise increase given location of the house. Traffic would have to increase dramatically to see decreases in house value, might get slightly worse during construction but that's it. Assume you are happy with existing traffic levels on the rochestown road!

Hi All,

Cheers,

If you live near any road you'll have to deal with noise pollution, so places to avoid that would be somewhere like Kilcrohane or Allihies.

If anything your house is going to increase in value. Much better access to the motorway network around Cork and decreased congestion due to improved road and junction layouts.

The site you describe is far enough away from the M28 for you not to even notice it Let's not forget that by the time the M28 opens technology will have further advanced and there will be a lot less pollution both noise and gaseous from road vehicles

• Advertisement

As everyone else has said, you will be nowhere near the new road.

Given updates to the surrounding roads, you will likely see a drop in traffic on the Rochestown road with more people using the new Carrs Hill interchange instead of accessing the N28 at the Rochestown Road junction as at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cormoleary

What about buying a house in Rochestown Rise? Motorway looks a bit close to it?

cormoleary wrote: »
    What about buying a house in Rochestown Rise? Motorway looks a bit close to it?

About a 2 minute drive to M28/R610 junction. Would be a very valuable investment for that reason

About a 2 minute drive to M28/R610 junction. Would be a very valuable investment for that reason

Wouldn't fancy that myself. A bit too close to a motorway with lots of truck traffic to a port for comfort. It is already close to good roads...a bigger road only to Carrigaline/Ringaskiddy will not make property price rise there. Noise from the road will potentially have the opposite effect.

And I believe you still won't have close-by access to the road going south direction so not much benefit time-wise if you happen to commute that direction from there. Open to correction about that one though...not 100% sure.

Ludo wrote: »
    Wouldn't fancy that myself. A bit too close to a motorway with lots of truck traffic to a port for comfort. It is already close to good roads...a bigger road only to Carrigaline/Ringaskiddy will not make property price rise there. Noise from the road will potentially have the opposite effect.

And I believe you still won't have close-by access to the road going south direction so not much benefit time-wise if you happen to commute that direction from there. Open to correction about that one though...not 100% sure.

If exhausts from internal combustion engines are an issue for you then there are lovely villages on the Beara peninsula that are suited to your needs. The N28 has been beside Rochestown Rise since 1995 and the sky hasn't fallen has it? By the time the M28 opens there will have been further advances in emissions reduction, the M28 will have the latest in low noise road surface and the speed limit there will be 60km/h.

There won't be southbound access there but you do have access to the N40, which carries a lot more traffic than the N28. I would rather live there than somewhere where a long commute would be more detrimental to health than a moderately busy road

If exhausts from internal combustion engines are an issue for you then there are lovely villages on the Beara peninsula that are suited to your needs. The N28 has been beside Rochestown Rise since 1995 and the sky hasn't fallen has it? By the time the M28 opens there will have been further advances in emissions reduction, the M28 will have the latest in low noise road surface and the speed limit there will be 60km/h.

Overreact much? I know you don't like to hear opinions which may disagree with your narrow view of the world and shove them off into other threads, but I simply stated my opinion that it is a bit too close to the road for comfort. There are better options in the area which have all the benefits of the road without being on top of it and having to listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

Hi All,

Cheers,

You're just next to the N40 so, one of the busiest roads in the country, people who oppose the M28 seem to forget this and seem to think they live out in west cork somewhere

Ludo wrote: »
    Overreact much? I know you don't like to hear opinions which may disagree with your narrow view of the world and shove them off into other threads, but I simply stated my opinion that it is a bit too close to the road for comfort. There are better options in the area which have all the benefits of the road without being on top of it and having to listen to it.

I don't see how this is an over-reaction. The road has been there since the 90s and I would think that the price of houses in the area has increased since then?

Sure there are but many of those are also further from the road that people use to get everywhere and result in longer journey times, so there is a trade off.

I live on a busy road and so I know what it's like. You get used to the traffic very quickly. Same as half of Cork living under the flight path of Cork Airport, they tune out after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Saw this earlier

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I lived 2 mins from the M50 for years.

I really don't see the problem.

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    Saw this earlier

Interesting to see how good their supporters are once they are asked for money. They’ll need 200 Euro’s from each of their claimed 10,000 supporters.

Going to be a lot of good value in Rochestown Rise due to mass hysteria generated by the Steering Group. Emissions likely to reduce in the area due to less congestion.

This is coming from someone who will be close to the new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Saw this earlier

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the way the words are written on that poster as arrogant?

kub wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find the way the words are written on that poster as arrogant?

I’m guessing you haven’t seen their Facebook page.

Seemingly the road would “destroy Rochestown and Douglas” on a previous poster. I think one of them may have had a mushroom cloud.

Going to be a lot of good value in Rochestown Rise due to mass hysteria generated by the Steering Group. Emissions likely to reduce in the area due to less congestion.

This is coming from someone who will be close to the new road.

Well, we will agree to disagree. I live in the area also and am happy with the final outcome of the planning decision. I still wouldn't want to live THAT close to the road...and by that, I mean the existing one or the newer even closer version.

That is not hysteria of any kind. If I am purchasing a house, I am not going to buy one where I can hear a motorway all day and night when there are plenty of other places to live in the area to get all the benefits without that noise. Maybe that's just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

Saw this earlier

Interesting to see how good their supporters are once they are asked for money. They’ll need 200 Euro’s from each of their claimed 10,000 supporters.
    Only €20 each?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

"Legal Challenge" - and well they might use inverted commas.

The avenue open to them is a Judicial Review, but they must first have grounds for same.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/planning_and_development_in_ireland/judicial_review_in_planning_and_environmental_matters.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/analysis/karen-walshjudicial-review-is-a-long-and-tricky-road-391605.html

Essentially, unless they can demonstrate that a part of the statutory process was not followed, or there was a flagrant breach of common sense in awarding planning. I can't think of a good example here other than, perhaps, a skyscraper on a flight path next to an airport.

Given how long this took to get through ABP, and the careful hearing process, I'm hopeful that they have been doing extreme due diligence against the statutory process to ensure a judge refuses grounds to a Judicial Review.

MrDerp wrote: »
    "Legal Challenge" - and well they might use inverted commas.

The avenue open to them is a Judicial Review, but they must first have grounds for same.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/planning_and_development_in_ireland/judicial_review_in_planning_and_environmental_matters.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/analysis/karen-walshjudicial-review-is-a-long-and-tricky-road-391605.html

Essentially, unless they can demonstrate that a part of the statutory process was not followed, or there was a flagrant breach of common sense in awarding planning. I can't think of a good example here other than, perhaps, a skyscraper on a flight path next to an airport.

Given how long this took to get through ABP, and the careful hearing process, I'm hopeful that they have been doing extreme due diligence against the statutory process to ensure a judge refuses grounds to a Judicial Review.

Would it still cost €200k to have a Judge refuse a hearing?

Would it still cost €200k to have a Judge refuse a hearing?

Yes, the 200k (variable cost) is just the cost of legal fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How does the Bord stand over the project splitting by not making sustainable transport an integral part of the project?
    would provide opportunities to develop sustainable transport projects
    (including walking, cycling and public transport) in the general vicinity

Sustainable travel should have been a condition of the project, Carrigaline is one of the most car dependent towns in Ireland, building a motorway there and not providing for alternatives is a major mistake in this day and age.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement