Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy motorway be built? [project approved]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Exploding oil lorries is now the main concern on their Facebook page.

Weirdly, no call for an outright ban of oil lorries in the Rochestown area. I don’t think Esso would have been to happy with such a suggestion anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Weirdly, no call for an outright ban of oil lorries in the Rochestown area. I don’t think Esso would have been to happy with such a suggestion anyways.

I wonder how the good people living down in East Cork feel about exploding oil lorries ?
    I mean there are some amount of Oil trucks on the road between Midleton and Whitegate.
    Have any exploded in all the years that trucks have been travelling up and down to the refinery ?
    No.
    So I for one am calling bull on that one.

They must be getting desperate in regard to fund raising coming out with rubbish like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Scaremongering at its best.

mikeym wrote: »
    Scaremongering at its best.

That it most certainly is, I suppose the NIMBY's brigade are hoping that old saying " fools and their money are easily parted ", will get more money into their pot.
    Nothing like a big massive oil truck exploding to frighten the life out of sheepeople.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

MrDerp wrote: »
    Judicial Reviews can overturn planning on the basis of procedure not being followed, or public interest not being adequately allowed for. They don't really hear objections on the basis of community interest.

So if a judge sees an Environmental report, or an inspectors consensus being outright ignored, for example, or some bit of the planning process being inadequately filed, they may give grounds for review, and that review *could* overturn a planning a decision.

However, all its likely to do is delay the process.

Even if they magic up a Mulcon valley snail or bog cotton, I doubt they could do more than push for more environmental protection during the works, as the road already exists.

I'm sure they have environmentalists pour over the EPA report already, and the basis for their seeking a judicial review seems to be "they didn't listen to us".

It seems to me that ABP went above and beyond on this one to ensure that there was more than adequate public consultation, and they addressed (and dismissed) the concerns in the decision.

Hit the nail on the head here.

The steering group got their 15 minutes of fame with this public consultation, and when the inspector wasn't going with them they threw their toys and lollipops out of the pram.

The last figures I've heard from social media is that not long after the meeting in RPH they had surpassed the 20k mark, this is a long way short for a judicial review and hopefully they can't afford it.

If they can't, what other options are open to them bar legal representatives working voluntarily for them?

If the legal profession thought this was a clear cut a case as the steering group they'd do it on a no win no fee basis, it doesn't appear to be that way though.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    I wonder how the good people living down in East Cork feel about exploding oil lorries ?
    I mean there are some amount of Oil trucks on the road between Midleton and Whitegate.
    Have any exploded in all the years that trucks have been travelling up and down to the refinery ?
    No.
    So I for one am calling bull on that one.

They must be getting desperate in regard to fund raising coming out with rubbish like that.

I hold the necessary qualifications to drive trucks with that type of cargo.

When i'm not hauling chemicals to/from Ringaskiddy and the Shanbally area i'm in North & East Cork displaying my kemler plates which is the orange & black plate displayed on vehicles, not just trucks, carry dangerous goods, believe it or not oxygen tanks come under this as they are pressurised, anyway I never get one complaint about where I park my truck for lunch or even general fear from the locals and those are poor roads.

As repeatedly mentioned, I don't recall exploding trucks here in Ireland on the scale that crowd are suggesting, just stupid careless drivers not following protocol and taking the appropriate measures to prevent loss of cargo/spillages.

Next they'll tell us that use drivers get our ADR certs in lucky bags :rolleyes:

kub wrote: »
    That it most certainly is, I suppose the NIMBY's brigade are hoping that old saying " fools and their money are easily parted ", will get more money into their pot.
    Nothing like a big massive oil truck exploding to frighten the life out of sheepeople.

Ah feck it, if you seen them in the RPH that evening they were parting with their money very easily, but sure aren't their homes powered by mostly gas & oil, as mentioned will they stop the likes of McGuickans,Texaco or East Cork Oil calling to their homes with those products and freeze through the winter, you can bet your life they won't.

What happened in Genoa is a stark reminder for the M28. That could have been the new Maryborough Hill bridge that collapsed.

If it collapsed on a chemical truck it could cause chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

What happened in Genoa is a stark reminder for the M28. That could have been the new Maryborough Hill bridge that collapsed.

If it collapsed on a chemical truck it could cause chaos.

I think it is disgraceful to use a tragedy like that to further your cause. Have a bit of respect.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I think it is disgraceful to use a tragedy like that to further your cause. Have a bit of respect.
    AugustusMinimus regularly satirises the postings of the M28 Steering Group in this thread, he wasn't being serious about it.

But it is indicative of the type of hyperbolic outrage the Steering Group use to further their cause.

• Advertisement

They highlighted the deaths of 2 people due to an oil tanker explosion last week. I have no doubt they are considering leveraging this tragedy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

You forgot to use all CAPITALS!

They highlighted the deaths of 2 people due to an oil tanker explosion last week. I have no doubt they are considering leveraging this tragedy too.

EXPLODING TRUCKS THAT KILLED 2 PEOPLE. THIS WILL HAPPEN IF WE LET THE M28 GO AHEAD

4000 TRUCKS UP AND DOWN THAT ROAD EVERYDAY

PLEASE DONATE TO OUR FUNDRAISER FOR THE JUDICIAL REVIEW, WE CAN GET THIS OVERTURNED

YOUR AREA NEEDS YOU NOW MORE THAN EVER

#NOTONOURWATCH

EXPLODING TRUCKS THAT KILLED 2 PEOPLE. THIS WILL HAPPEN IF WE LET THE M28 GO AHEAD

4000 TRUCKS UP AND DOWN THAT ROAD EVERYDAY

PLEASE DONATE TO OUR FUNDRAISER FOR THE JUDICIAL REVIEW, WE CAN GET THIS OVERTURNED

YOUR AREA NEEDS YOU NOW MORE THAN EVER

#NOTONOURWATCH

I can only imagine Harrington if he sees that, he'll think I lost the plot altogether :pac:

Did I put in enough capitals :cool:

The NIMBY brigade are desperate and as mentioned will use anything to further their cause.

New signs in Rochestown going on about no HGV’s to go through Passage West. Anyone know what this is about?

Is this Steering Group linked. The M28 will reduce HGV’s taking that route.

New signs in Rochestown going on about no HGV’s to go through Passage West. Anyone know what this is about?

There are roadworks in Passage West, something to do with new sewer pipes in the Lower Harbour, cars can turn right at Rochestown Inn but that road is not ideal for trucks.

The NIMBY's would love to take credit I am sure but no they are not important.

Irish Water wanted to shut down the far end of the town for 2 months to do pipe work i think but they got it stopped.

Trucks have to go through the town, even the 7.5T or 32T rigids to do deliveries to the local shops.

The only real time you will see an artic is for the new Aldi where Jerry Collins car dealers/Spar was one time, i haven't seen the new set up though. Aidan Doherty Transport in Tipperary service all Aldi's and Lidl's in Cork and partially further afield, Through their Charleville & Mitchelstown distribution centres, all they use is artic's and it is possible these may carry on through Monkstown heading for Carrigaline via the road to Shanbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Steering Group don't care about anyone south of Carrs Hill.

The begging bowl is out on Facebook again this morning.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    The begging bowl is out on Facebook again this morning.

If the begging is being ramped up now it shows desperation, basically they will miss the deadline :D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Anyone know when the new four-week deadline for judicial review applications is coming in for infrastructure projects? Steps in the right direction.

Fingers crossed that they can't afford the review. One week left.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Apparently they have raised the funds.

They'd be better off setting the money on fire. At least they might get some heat from it.

Apparently they have raised the funds.

They'd be better off setting the money on fire. At least they might get some heat from it.
    Have you got a source for this?

If they have raised the cash, what grounds can they appeal on?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thank you.

Good to see the anti-development Examiner sticking to their guns.

If they have raised the cash, what grounds can they appeal on?
    "We don't want plebs using the road through our elite suburb".

Oh right.

They haven't raised the money. They plan to make an application for a judicial review and fund it after. Funny mechanism that.

If they do manage to get this through then it will be time for mass CPOs in Rochestown. Any houses that suffer from "noise pollution" can be CPO'd and levelled, and the problem goes away fairly quickly.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Oh right.

They haven't raised the money. They plan to make an application for a judicial review and fund it after. Funny mechanism that.

If they do manage to get this through then it will be time for mass CPOs in Rochestown. Any houses that suffer from "noise pollution" can be CPO'd and levelled, and the problem goes away fairly quickly.

That headline is a bit misleading so. Have they said how much they’ve raised? How can they apply without the necessary cash?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement