Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy motorway be built? [project approved]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Will this classify as an "urban motorway"? (if so of course it should be at least 5 lanes each way but that's neither here nor there). Speed limit will be 100 km/h?
    It's 100km/h due to engineering constraints (lack of space and topography). It was always planned to be a 100km/h dual carraigeway but since 2014 it will have blue signs instead of green ones. This seems to have upset a lot of people though for some bizarre reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Cork Co. Co. have published the CPO confirmation. 8 weeks period for judicial review of the CPO starts today. The 18 month statutory period to begin formal land acquisition commences in 3 weeks. I'd imagine the land costs will be fairly high given the amount you for zoned land it goes through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Cork Co. Co. have published the CPO confirmation. 8 weeks period for judicial review of the CPO starts today. The 18 month statutory period to begin formal land acquisition commences in 3 weeks. I'd imagine the land costs will be fairly high given the amount you for zoned land it goes through.
    Today's examiner?

Today's examiner?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭kub

Good to see Cork Co Co being proactive despite the goings on in the Courts.

• Advertisement

i'm optimistic on the court outcome, roll on the M28. Sick to death of the N28 now :mad:

The following is a copy & paste job from the steering group's page.

"Dear Resident,
    On the 3rd July 2018 An Bord Pleanala approved a planning application by TII / Cork County Council for the construction of a 12.5 kilometre stretch of motorway called the M28 to serve the new Tier 1 Port at Ringaskiddy. The off-line section of this new M28 motorway is 10.5 kilometres in length running from the new Tier 1 Port at Ringaskiddy to the Carrs Hill interchange where it will then merge with the existing roadway N28 (on-line section) which is to be redeveloped to motorway standards running down to the Bloomfield Interchange. The existing N28 from Carrs Hill through Shanbally / Ringaskiddy remains as is.
    The M28 Steering Group fully supports both the Port of Cork's new venture and the very necessary transport infrastructure to support such a development however despite acknowledgement of a viable alternative to partially re route the Port of Cork's 4000 trucks per day the application was upheld. The recent decision by An Bord Pleanala to grant permission to Indaver Ireland's proposed incinerator at Ringaskiddy will also see in excess of 240,000 tonnes of waste (30k of which is toxic) pass through our community on its way to Ringaskiddy and once incineration takes place there, this waste is then to return in ash form back through our community on its way to landfill.
    During the course of the past 2.5 years members of the M28 steering group have examined and identified very serious adverse impacts for residents in terms of environmental health and well being along with the disastrous consequences for local residential commuters throughout our community. Despite acknowledgements by Cork County Council that noise pollution will breach WHO & EPA guidelines this scheme goes ahead. The fact that traffic projection figures for the greater Douglas & Rochestown areas were incorrect (at the oral hearing) and are set to increase rapidly, this scheme goes ahead. Homes are to be compulsory purchased. Residents on Maryborough Hill and Bloomfield along with those bordering the motorway itself will be see their homes suffer considerable devaluations and in some cases these properties will be virtually worthless.
    Eu / Eia Health directives were ignored. No proper health or environmental assessments were carried out. In their haste to get their application in before the Eu / Eia 2014 Health directive transposition date of the 16th May 2017 Cork County Council only partially submitted their motorway application the day before (15TH ).Clearly done to avoid their legal obligations to carry out critical revised Human Health assessments first introduced by the EU back in 2014.
    This short newsletter cannot fully explain the appalling vista that is almost certain should the routing of Industrial traffic via the new M28 be allowed to proceed through the Mulcon Valley. Using the Mulcon Valley as a means to route massive industrial traffic through our community with all the intended consequences for the wider Douglas and Rochestown areas, when a viable alternative route corridor is readily available is unjustified and morally reprehensible.
    Industrial Traffic will now also be able to route to the new M28 via Grange and Frankfield to the new Carrs Hill Interchange through additional infrastructure which was originally designed to alleviate congestion for existing residents and local commuters in Grange, Frankfield and Donnybrook. This means industrial HGV, LVG and non local commuter
    traffic from Ballycurreen, Cork Airport and all industrial estates will now have an alternative road infrastructure in place that sees them no longer having to use the N27 to reach the Jack Lynch Tunnel.
    Despite notice to the contrary the Finger Post at Douglas will ultimately be removed as congestion will warrant it. Traffic congestion in the greater Douglas Village, Maryborough Hill and Rochestown Road will increase as there is no relief possible. Since the decision to grant planning permission for the M28 agricultural lands have now been rezoned residential. All of this without additional relief of local road infrastructure. The M28 scheme will see new traffic light systems put in place on Maryborough Hill, Clarkes Hill and the R610. These traffic light systems are designed to control local traffic with motorway traffic prioritised during morning and evening peak traffic times. Put simply If you think that this motorway doesn't affect you ...please think again....!
    The M28 Steering Group has launched legal proceedings by way of Judicial Review. It is our advice that the decision to grant permission for the M28 was / is very seriously flawed and that An Bord Pleanala erred in law by granting such permission. Legal proceedings are very costly and require major funding which can only be met through very kind and generous donations from residents.
    Whilst many residents have already given generously, we have as yet to meet the required funding target in order to proceed fully. We desperately need your donation to move forward. To those very kind residents who have already donated we sincerely thank you! To those residents who wish to do so we ask you to kindly donate via bank transfer, details as set out in this pamphlet . Details are also available on our M28 Facebook page and website www.altroutem28.com.
    Please note: Representatives of the M28 Steering Group will where possible call to homes in your area over the next couple of weeks where a canvass for donations will be carried out.
    Please donate via Bank Transfer to :
    iBAN: IE77 AIBK 9343 4857 4340 20
    BIC: AIBKIE2D
    Gerard Harrington
    Chairman
    M28 STEERING GROUP"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is just textbook desperation at this point

If they are so concerned about what the effects the motorway will have on Douglas and Rochestown, why are they appealing based on animal and plant habitats in a disused quarry in Raffeen?

The sooner this circus comes to a close the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I like how they delete every single comment that disagrees with their agenda, but happily leave the comments which allude to "brown envelopes" as the reason the decision went against them.

marno21 wrote: »
    This is just textbook desperation at this point

If they are so concerned about what the effects the motorway will have on Douglas and Rochestown, why are they appealing based on animal and plant habitats in a disused quarry in Raffeen?

The sooner this circus comes to a close the better
    Yeah desperation is one way to describe it. By dragging that agenda into it they are hoping to attract similar protesters like that of the Hill of Tara several years ago it might seem?
    Kevwoody wrote: »
    I like how they delete every single comment that disagrees with their agenda, but happily leave the comments which allude to "brown envelopes" as the reason the decision went against them.

I deliberately didn't put the comments here as I was unsure if I could without it causing an issue.

They are just throwing their toys out of the pram because they didn't get their way.

Even if their proposal was adhered to, it wouldn't stop the majority using the N28 anyway as it is the quickest route, going via the N27 would be the height of insanity, could one imagine the Kinsale Road roundabout if this was allowed to go on?

Marno21 or another Mod might let me know am I allowed to name politicians who are involved as Cllr's and not senators or TD's? Namely I am referring to a well known lady who is allegedly a qualified engineer supporting this.

How can re-routing via the N27 work in her eyes honestly? I have tried to engage with her on Facebook but she refuses to interact with me.

Again, how in the name of god have they worked out it is 4000 trucks travelling the road, there might be 4000 journeys forecast but not 4000 separate trucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I'm tempted to make a donation of 0.28 cent

I'm tempted to make a donation of 0.28 cent

May I politely suggest you donate that €0.28 to a more worthy cause such as the Animals Home in Mahon :D

Whilst many residents have already given generously, we have as yet to meet the required funding target in order to proceed fully.

On a side note, how did they get this far when they have now admitted they haven't raised the funds required?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

On a side note, how did they get this far when they have now admitted they haven't raised the funds required?
    May be it's like nothing wrong in going to the extent untill which the payment of deposit is not required. It's like the war is not over untill the last ship is sunk.

Harrington openly admitted on Facebook that of the few hundred that attended the ladt meeting only ONE person volunteered to go door to door canvassing for funds!

He also said it's "human nature not to be bothered". Ah maybe it's because you've been found out as nothing but a Nimby who resorts to scaremongering to further his own cause!

Here is the full comment from Harrington on the M28 Facebook page.

Thanks Michael, the above has been printed in A4 folded format and is to be delivered to over 4000 home's this week and next. Human nature being what it is residents are in many ways not bothered or activated enough to to realise the extent of what lies in store for them now and in the coming years.....public meetings × 2 thus far......4000 leaflets to be delivered, print and social media .....widespread coverage yet.....when I asked for assistance at the most recent public meeting .....only ONE......yes ONE person approached me so im afraid calling door to door whilst desirable will be very very limited as we simply do not have the necessary volunteers to carry out an effective canvass. Thank you once again for your donation which has helped pay for the application stage of the process...incidentally the decision on our application will be made next Wednesday 19th September where the court will if it's so disposed set the date for full hearing. The full hearing is likely to be held quickly. You may wish to note that we have a function booked for OCT 12th at the RPH... this may or may not proceed as this is just one of the strategies in place to help raise the necessary funds. I sincerely hope that residents read the pamphlet (above) which is being delivered. If people aren't minded to make donations then that's fine...... it's over .....I will hold a final public meeting and it will then be up to the audience and not the top table as frankly....there's no more that I and my colleagues can do.....!

What does it say though when only 1 of those present offered to go door to door, even many of those who were in the room that evening were most likely in favour of the road but curious to see what all this noise from the group was about.

If October 12th in RPH goes ahead is anyone going to attend? I will if others do. Nothing to stop us going there to listen to what they have to say, I just find it a bit funny to be honest, lack of funds, lack of outright support, only 150-200 in the room on that particular night, if even that, but sure let them inflate the numbers to 10,000 :rolleyes:

It seems the writing on the wall is being read by the NIMBY brigade.
    As I have always said it is one thing to tick a Facebook like, it is a totally different thing to get people to put their hands in their pockets.

I am detecting some bit of a blame game in that Facebook post above.

I wonder would this have been different for the NIMBY brigade had they taken on-board the questions asked on their FB page rather than deleting them and more importantly not to assume people were so silly as to fall for the outright lies they were spouting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

There’s gonna be a march seemingly.

Let’s see how many of the 200 who attended the last meeting are willing to make a show of themselves.

And the latest post. The lies are astounding.

There’s gonna be a march seemingly.

I hope they bring their dogs with them, at least if there is only a few of them then they won't look too silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

High Court website not yet updated but the M28 Steering Group facebook page has a post saying that Leave to Appeal has been granted.
    Breaking News........!!!
    M28 Steering Group granted Leave to proceed to Judicial Review.
    High Court today Wednesday 19th September held that there are substantial grounds for our application to proceed to a full hearing to have the recent approval by An Bord Pleanala on the M28 Cork to Ringskiddy Motorway scheme set aside....!
    Please support our fundraising drive because without your help we will be unable to prosecute our case before the high court in due course.
    Gerard Harrington
    Chairman
    M28 Steering Group

Hibernicis wrote: »
    High Court website not yet updated but the M28 Steering Group facebook page has a post saying that Leave to Appeal has been granted.

Mother of god what is going on there :confused:

Is the judge having an off day or what?

Very disappointing decision. All the more given that this judge has been assigned to all strategic infrastructure cases. I will be very interested to see the reasons for the judge's decision. The bar is set far too low for these type of challenges.

Perhaps The Judge is giving them an opportunity to come up with the necessary funds to pursue their case.

Ah but with the 10,000 followers they have :D, they will have it in no time :rolleyes:

Why have I this thought of Jesus up in the hills of Rochestown with loafs and fishes?
    Just in reverse.

kub wrote: »
    Perhaps The Judge is giving them an opportunity to come up with the necessary funds to pursue their case.

Ah but with the 10,000 followers they have :D, they will have it in no time :rolleyes:

Why have I this thought of Jesus up in the hills of Rochestown with loafs and fishes?
    Just in reverse.
    It'll take more than Jesus to get this over the line. Sure didn't the lord himself come down off the cross for a nice cup of tea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Just in reverse.
    It'll take more than Jesus to get this over the line. Sure didn't the lord himself come down off the cross for a nice cup of tea :D

Or whatever they had in those days; cake, or whatever... ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Just in reverse.
    No it's just Brendan O'Connor again.

Back on planet Earth, outside of the Rochestown bubble, Cairn Homes have placed a fast track application for 446 residential units (259 houses and 182 apartments) to be located just off the old N28 at Carrs Hill: https://www.cairnhomes.com/new-homes/upcoming-developments/#douglas

Of course, if the M28 isn't built, traffic from this development will have to go via Douglas to get to the N40 (unless they are commuting to Ringaskiddy or Carrigaline). But sure won't the M28 be the cause of gridlock in Douglas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Pathetic reflection on the Irish planning system if true (and I can only assume it is). According to C103 the matter is due to return to court on October 4th (https://www.c103.ie/news/leave-to-appeal-planning-aproval-for-the-m28-cork/). Can anyone better acquainted with the legal system enlighten us as to what this means from a procedural standpoint? Is this when the review begins, or is it just another day in court to schedule the actual review?

I presume the next step for the Steering Group will be to begin organising a judicial review of the CPO list too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

marno21 wrote: »
    Back on planet Earth, outside of the Rochestown bubble, Cairn Homes have placed a fast track application for 446 residential units (259 houses and 182 apartments) to be located just off the old N28 at Carrs Hill: https://www.cairnhomes.com/new-homes/upcoming-developments/#douglas

Of course, if the M28 isn't built, traffic from this development will have to go via Douglas to get to the N40 (unless they are commuting to Ringaskiddy or Carrigaline). But sure won't the M28 be the cause of gridlock in Douglas?

Or, ya know...don't build the houses there if the M28 isn't built.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement