Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy motorway be built? [project approved]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Ludo wrote: »
    Or, ya know...don't build the houses there if the M28 isn't built.

The whole point of the M28 is to remove traffic from current roads and to allow local roads be what they should be.

It will allow locals to reclaim the roads and allow development which is frozen due to the current situation.

Do you disagree with the M28 Ludo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Or, ya know...don't build the houses there if the M28 isn't built.

There was housing planned for that site 12 years ago but the bust halted that happening, that was long before the M28.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

M28 has been on the plans since late 90's if not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The whole point of the M28 is to remove traffic from current roads and to allow local roads be what they should be.

It will allow locals to reclaim the roads and allow development which is frozen due to the current situation.

Do you disagree with the M28 Ludo?

No, I don't disagree with it. It needs to be built. I do consider it to be a half-arsed job and could be improved. It will make Bloomfield a mess especially heading southbound but that is neither here nor there.

But saying not building the M28 will result in these as yet unbuilt/unapproved houses flooding existing roads with new traffic can be solved easily by building them elsewhere.
    Of course, they may not sell for as much elsewhere because the "address" won't be as appealing so that won't be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Baldilocks wrote: »

Once they opened the N28 was it?

• Advertisement

No, I don't disagree with it. It needs to be built. I do consider it to be a half-arsed job and could be improved. It will make Bloomfield a mess especially heading southbound but that is neither here nor there.

But saying not building the M28 will result in these as yet unbuilt/unapproved houses flooding existing roads with new traffic can be solved easily by building them elsewhere.
    Of course, they may not sell for as much elsewhere because the "address" won't be as appealing so that won't be an option.

The upgraded Bloomfield will handle any extra traffic IMO.

The Douglas flyover may not.

The merging of traffic coming from the tunnel onto N28 south and traffic coming from Kinsale Roundabout direction also onto M28 south is messy already. AFAIK this part of the junction is not changing (or have I missed something here). Adding in a load more trucks to the mix can't be a good thing.

There was a truck overturned there a few months back as the curve is quite steep coming from the tunnel. Again this isn't changing I think (please correct me if wrong) and is a disaster waiting to happen when a few fuel and chemical trucks all crash there.

The Douglas flyover can’t hsndle the current levels going over it, let alone motorway traffic, plus that flyover can’t be widened without major hassle, Bloomfield can though as you said.

The merging of traffic coming from the tunnel onto N28 south and traffic coming from Kinsale Roundabout direction also onto M28 south is messy already. AFAIK this part of the junction is not changing (or have I missed something here). Adding in a load more trucks to the mix can't be a good thing.

There was a truck overturned there a few months back as the curve is quite steep coming from the tunnel. Again this isn't changing I think (please correct me if wrong) and is a disaster waiting to happen when a few fuel and chemical trucks all crash there.

The only way you’ll flip a truck in that bend is going too fast, too fast while loaded or a mechanical problem such as the brakes packing up.

I get the impression you are reciting from the steering group page about trucks/chemicals etc

Are you anti M28?

The chemicals trucks are already using it, and the numbers are going to increase regardless of the M28 being built or not, due to the increased production in ringaksiddy.
    Would it not be best to have a road suitable for the volume of traffic.

• Advertisement

As Cork Trucker has said, that lorry was clearly driving too fast.

Obviously, it was speed (caused my mechanical failure or not doesn't matter)...you don't need to be a truck driver to figure that one out.

But my point is that there will be a lot more trucks (journeys) now taking that route. So they should do something about that part of the Bloomfield junction. I don't think they are though.
    They could also use that re-work to move the road away from houses so reduce noise/toxic fumes from the trucks ruining the lives of the locals.

Obviously, it was speed (caused my mechanical failure or not doesn't matter)...you don't need to be a truck driver to figure that one out.

But my point is that there will be a lot more trucks (journeys) now taking that route. So they should do something about that part of the Bloomfield junction. I don't think they are though.
    They could also use that re-work to move the road away from houses so reduce noise/toxic fumes from the trucks ruining the lives of the locals.

You do know that trucks emit far less toxic fumes under the euro emissions standards.

The diesel cars being driven by the ordinary motorists are far more polluting than trucks.

I’ll post the link when I get home if you want me to do that.

As for Bloomfield and the overturned truck, the driver either took the corner thinking he didn’t need to use the brakes, inertia kicked in or the driver was simply stupid. Do you mean to tell me that due to this one incident that it is going to be a regular occurrence? I drive the existing N28 5 day’s a week with chemicals on board in an artic, as do my colleagues, again, in 2006 at the Shannon park roundabout the driver was thick, never strapped down his load, it happens in all areas of Ireland that you will have accidents, non commercial vehicles are involved in accidents a lot more than commercial vehicles.

Do you see people along the Midleton to whitegate road protesting over all the tankers going to and from the refinery? No!

I will ask one last time, are you anti M28?

Baldilocks wrote:

Indeed but never as popular as over the last 2 / 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The Bloomfield interchange is one of vanishingly few trumpet junctions we have in Ireland. TBH theres not much more you can do with it, apart from chuck in a few more lanes and then the South Ring itself becomes the bottleneck.

Marcia Dalton finally said something intelligent. The exception that proves the rule.

Marcia Dalton finally said something intelligent. The exception that proves the rule.

This? :confused:
    Marcia D’Alton (IND) criticised the absence of cycle facilities. in the project.
    “I think it’s a mockery of our cycle plans as a county that we don’t provide cycle facilities there, particularly as we are so close to the Blackrock to Passage West amenity facility which will be extended in the future.

yes, that

This from the Steering group chairman's wife/partner
    Can I ask everyone to kindly support our quiz night and function in the Rochestown Park Hotel...we need to raise money...to further fund our cause...unity is strength...let the people take back the power to defend and protect.our communities and future generations to come....Thank you...

• Advertisement

yes, that

Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This from the Steering group chairman's wife/partner

What kind of lunatics are these people?

Save future generations from what? Progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

What kind of lunatics are these people?

Save future generations from what? Progress?
    I would be site banned if I gave my true opinion to that.
    Limerick74 wrote: »

So if this is fast tracked, how long will the hearing take/a decision to be reached? I'm not liking this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

From courts.ie

Judicial Review ExParte granted NOM RET 4/10/18 INFRASTRUCTURE LIST

Perhaps a lawyer can translate, but it appears to set a nominal return date to court of 4th October 2018, but this is unlikely to be the start of the hearing as the plantiff & defendant will need time to prepare their cases. Most likely early next year before the hearing commences but we'll see what fast tracked means in the high court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Limerick74 wrote: »
    From courts.ie

Judicial Review ExParte granted NOM RET 4/10/18 INFRASTRUCTURE LIST

Perhaps a lawyer can translate, but it appears to set a nominal return date to court of 4th October 2018, but this is unlikely to be the start of the hearing as the plantiff & defendant will need time to prepare their cases. Most likely early next year before the hearing commences but we'll see what fast tracked means in the high court.

This is absurd.
    They're basically trying to drag it out until the next recession, in the hope that it'll be shelved.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

I’m sorry that contributions have degenerated to this level. Poor show. Where are the independent mods gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

This? :confused:

I'm confused too, why would cyclists be catered for on a motorway.?

jvan wrote: »
    I'm confused too, why would cyclists be catered for on a motorway.?

That is relating to Clarkes Hill in Rochestown, where the objectors live, this type of stuff is ok but the motorway isn't essentially. Hypocrisy.

• Advertisement

Dear Judge, please see below, yet another reason for a proper road infrastructure in that area:

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/cork-lands-primed-for-housing-at-20m-37357608.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement