Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy motorway be built? [project approved]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Baldilocks wrote: »
    There is a good chapter in David McWilliams' new book (renaissance nation) regarding people objecting to desperately needed infrastructure.
    "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything"

Roll on the judgement. Regardless of what happens - it is another step in the process.
    Secondly i for one, will be challenging the politicians when they come looking for my vote on the issue. Their tolerance/ambiguity of support for the steering group shows how committed they are to progress.

It is most disappointing (and a poor reflection on their professionalism) that the news outlets covering this never question the alleged 10,000 people that the steering group claim are against this development.

Going by those who were in attendance at their fund raising night they will be told to feck off.

Cllr Mary Rose Desmond
    Micheal Martin T.D
    Senator Jerry Buttimer
    Dan Boyle of the Green Party (who i previously succeeded in asking to sign up and post here)
    Lorna Bogue also of the Green Party

These people were all definitely at it.

I'm unsure on the stance of Seamus McGrath but i assume he is like his party leader.

Marcia Dalton is another who is siding with the steering group.

Some but not all of these people will be knocking on my door for votes, i live on the southside of the city, like yourself i will be fairly vocal with them on this topic.

I don't even know which one, if any of them, to vote for at this stage, they are all a farce but while not trying to single anyone in particular out, Buttimer is the most vote hungry of them all and that is clear to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Its ridiculous that the newer sites below in Ringaskiddy i.e Janssen2, have been granted planning permission without addressing infastructure in the area first!!!!!!!!

The multiple thousands of cars that travel down the boreen off Carrs hill is incredible,

The Motorway should have been implemented decades ago,

But in provision of infrastructure first has never been a requirement in Cork County Council's planning department, never, ever.
    But that is for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Martin probably wants the M28 built but like all politicians, doesn’t want to turn off potential voters. It’s pathetic.

Up to 10,000 residents is weasels words at its finest.

I had to laugh reading the echo fCebook pagebthe other day. One guy wanted a Tunnel from Ringaskiddy to Waterrgrasshill while another was again moaning about glass boxes when discussing the M28. Literally all she ever talks about.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

Anyone any news on how yesterdays session went

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Martin probably wants the M28 built but like all politicians, doesn’t want to turn off potential voters. It’s pathetic.

Up to 10,000 residents is weasels words at its finest.

I had to laugh reading the echo fCebook pagebthe other day. One guy wanted a Tunnel from Ringaskiddy to Waterrgrasshill while another was again moaning about glass boxes when discussing the M28. Literally all she ever talks about.

Yes it's those damned energy efficient office developments bringing thousands of jobs to the city that are the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

snotboogie wrote: »
    Yes it's those damned energy efficient office developments bringing thousands of jobs to the city that are the problem.

Well if you put all the jobs in the city, and all the houses out in satellite towns, and don't put in decent reliable modern public transport, then you're never going to get ahead of the traffic jams...
    (of course this is better than no housing and no jobs but....)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Going by those who were in attendance at their fund raising night they will be told to feck off.

Cllr Mary Rose Desmond
    Micheal Martin T.D
    Senator Jerry Buttimer
    Dan Boyle of the Green Party (who i previously succeeded in asking to sign up and post here)

I'm unsure on the stance of Seamus McGrath but i assume he is like his party leader.

Some but not all of these people will be knocking on my door for votes, i live on the southside of the city, like yourself i will be fairly vocal with them on this topic.

I don't even know which one, if any of them, to vote for at this stage, they are all a farce but while not trying to single anyone in particular out, Buttimer is the most vote hungry of them all and that is clear to see.

Dan Boyle has written a piece which is strongly against the M28 in Broadsheet.ie today.

Dan Boyle has written a piece which is strongly against the M28 in Broadsheet.ie today.

Not impressed by Dan Boyle at all. He previously stated that a rail line should be built to Ringaskiddy which would make little business or economic sense.

This reeks of Green opposition for the sake of it.

Cllr Mary Rose Desmond
    Micheal Martin T.D
    Senator Jerry Buttimer

I just saw that, thank you.
    He is on about the Raffeen quarry.

I wonder will the objectors in Rochestown take all the credit if the Judge does find that the design team of the M28 did not pay due regard to the rats and whatever else live in an old quarry?

Here is the link from his article, i never use that site so forgive me if it isn't posted correctly.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/tag/dan-boyle/

The Quarry wasn't initially something the steering group were worried about until they felt it could drum up their support base in order to have the ABP decision overturned.

Tomorrow is the last day of the review and i swear to christ i am hoping and praying that the answer is given before the Easter holidays.

We are years away from any potential hearing going to Europe, the port will be well moved by then, so we might have '4000 trucks' going down the N28 for a time.

• Advertisement

And I wonder how many of the 150 / 200 ' supporters ' of the objectors will still support them when they experience that many " dirty, explosive " articulated trucks on the existing N28, where at one part there is barely enough room for them to pass in opposite directions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Not impressed by Dan Boyle at all. He previously stated that a rail line should be built to Ringaskiddy which would make little business or economic sense.

This reeks of Green opposition for the sake of it.
    Cork Greens are comical at this stage.

Port of Cork will have rail connected facilities at Marino Point if it's ever needed. Dan Boyle clearly hasn't researched how much freight in Ireland is moved by rail.

Then again, the M28 enables hundreds of acres of prime city centre land to be opened up for sustainable development. That's something you'd imagine the Green Party would be in favour of rather than suburban car dependent development which has been the flavour of Cork for the last 20 years and has resulted in 100,000 vehicles per day using the N40.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

You'd imagine - but they (the Greens) are quite literally trying to kill the Metro in Dublin. So it's not surprising that they oppose a motorway for stupid and bizarre reasons.

SeanW wrote: »
    You'd imagine - but they (the Greens) are quite literally trying to kill the Metro in Dublin. So it's not surprising that they oppose a motorway for stupid and bizarre reasons.

I haven’t been following this. Are they actually opposing a high capacity public transport system.

The greens are nothing but luddites. I have next to no idea what their actual aims are. I’d imagine that being against the M28 is also being against any form of industry in Ringaskiddy which they probably loathe.

This guy is running in the next election for the Green Party in Midleton, he's also a psychologist.

https://twitter.com/LiamQuaide/status/1100754659671711744

Not M28 related, but the fact he thinks they should be in government again makes me uncomfortable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Greens are just chasing votes - parish pump type chasing. Council election coming up in May - so any local issue becomes of interest.

I think the chances of the Greens being in Government is between very unlikely and non existant, but closer to the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

We need a new gov't with @greenparty_ie Ministers in it........

Just what we need. To repeat the spectacular successes of the last government that had @greenparty_ie Ministers in it

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BazzFan123

When it comes to representing 10K people, I'll just leave this here from poster, who has no history with this thread.

Re: putting tress by Lissadell, Broadale, Mount Oval and Maryborough Ridge, the place that needs this most is the Rochestown Road. Huge tracts of open grass land separating Wainsfort, Kiltegan Crescent and Belgard Downs from the N28 and N40. No wonder the road must be so loud for them. They could easily fill that up with a huge amount of trees that will be a decent size by the time the motorway is finished. That way the road won't be visible and it will help block the noise (especially if they throw some thick evergreen trees in). I don't understand why this wasn't already done. It would help clean the air too for the residents of those parks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Cllr Mary Rose Desmond
    Micheal Martin T.D
    Senator Jerry Buttimer

All of the above plus.....

Michael McGrath is on record "while recognizing the clear need to upgrade the road network between the N40 and Carrigaline and Ringaskiddy, both Cllr Seamus McGrath (aka me bro) and I made a submission to An Bord Pleanala requesting that full consideration be given towards an alternative route design for the project” and "there is adequate time to re-examine the optimum route for the upgrade”. So that’s the McGrath's with a foot firmly in both camps.

I've heard similar “on the one hand...... but on the other hand....” drivel from Simon Coveney.

I'm not sure where Donacha O'Laoghaire stands on this.

So basically they are all leading from behind to take us all to wherever they think the voters are headed.

In Marcia D'Alton's defence, in my experience she has consistently displayed a deep interest in planning issues and generally makes a lot more sense on urban planning than most of the rest of this list. I disagree with her stance on this and on a number of other issues, but I would also respect her considered opinion. She generally comes at issues from a well thought out, principled position rathre than the "where's me votes” attitude that motivates the rest of this crew. I have no connection whatsoever with Marcia D'Alton and have never spoken to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

The review wraps up today. Anyone hear any updates?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

PJ Coogan has well and truly nailed his colours to the mast, What idiot will be stupid enough to rule that via the Airport Road/Ballygarvan is the best way.

Hopefully Justice McGrath is not taken in by all of this.

Where was Harrington in the 1990's when the Blackpool bypass was being built?Even Blackpool residents didn't object to that road and it is in their back gardens almost. He is from near there, but nope, not a word from him on it regardless of how long he is living in Rochestown. NIMBY 'Objector' out and out.

PJ Coogan lives in Lissadelle, well he used to, not sure if he still does and as we all know he hates to offend anyone.

marno21 wrote: »

I am going to take a page out of " the objectors" Facebook page.

I am not even going to bother listening to him.

Thanks anyway Marno.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

marno21 wrote: »
    Then again, the M28 enables hundreds of acres of prime city centre land to be opened up for sustainable development.
    I'm curious how prime city centre land cannot be developed without building a dual carriageway from Carrs hill to Shanbally?
    It that whats stopping the work at Beamish?

I'm curious how prime city centre land cannot be developed without building a dual carriageway from Carrs hill to Shanbally?

Operations at Ringaskiddy are constrained by planning conditions until te M28 is open, and rightly so.

Beamish - is this the event centre works ? Nothing to do with the M28

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It's down to access to port. If Ringaskiddy can be assessed with a motorway, we won't need any commercial port activity in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

From the steering group facebook page
    Judicial Review Update

The M28 Steering Group versus An Bord Pleanala & TII / Cork County Council judicial Review Hearing began last Tuesday 26th February at the High Court in Dublin and was adjourned today Friday 1st March with a resumption on the 4th April to conclude on Friday 5th April next.

Our case was presented before Mr Justice McGrath for 3 days where a massive body of evidence was put before the court. At this juncture I am not in a position to discuss the many many issues and matters of law which we presented as the case has not yet concluded suffice it to say that we are most pleased with our legal teams delivery of our pleadings thus far.

An Bord Pleanala began their defence today and will continue with this along with TII/ Cork County Council upon resumption on the 4th of April next. Once the respondent(APB) and notice party (TII /CCC) have concluded their evidence our legal team will respond before the case concludes.

Gerard Harrington
    Chairman
    M28 Steering Group

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

danny004 wrote: »
    From the steering group facebook page

Delay after interminable delay. What a waste of taxpayer time and euros.

• Advertisement

Delay after interminable delay. What a waste of taxpayer time and euros.
    Aontachtoir - you are clearly not taking into account the environmental concerns of 10,000 people in Rochestown over the habitats of flora and fauna in the quarry in Raffeen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement