Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday part rights

Options
  • 28-04-2017 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem to mine.
    I took on a cash in hand job roughly 10 months ago, it just so happened i was in need of a job and it wasn't perfect but any job is better than none right? However i have never received any form of holiday pay, is this illegal or just normal practices?

Also i took the job on the basis that i would only work certain days and perform certain duties, it was a verbal contract and i signed nothing but do my employers have the right to change my work in this way?

Thanks for your time. :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I think when you take a "cash in hand" job, you are not likely to receive the full benefits of a registered employee. You could always insist that you are a full time employee, but you, not your employer, would be responsible for payment of all taxes and levies on your income to date. Also, at 10 months of service, it's pretty easy to be let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

BLACKEN wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem to mine.
    I took on a cash in hand job roughly 10 months ago, it just so happened i was in need of a job and it wasn't perfect but any job is better than none right? However i have never received any form of holiday pay, is this illegal or just normal practices?

Also i took the job on the basis that i would only work certain days and perform certain duties, it was a verbal contract and i signed nothing but do my employers have the right to change my work in this way?

Thanks for your time. :-)

Happy to cheat the tax man but moans at not been given full employee rights !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

...... and I wouldn't be expecting any Sick Pay from them down the line either!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

What a silly thread. You are in a cash in hand job which indicates you are not legal. Yet you want your legal entitlements?

OK. This is what you do.

1. Declare all income to taxman and pay your dues plus interest.
    2. Get employer to put you on the books and make legal deductions.
    3. Notify welfare you wish to repay any payments claimed (if any) and hope they don't prosecute all.
    4. Claim holiday money at 8% of wages paid

Then get a contract with agreed days of work and stick to it.

Be prepared though for a p45 if employer cannot afford you. You are entitled to one weeks notice or cash in lieu.

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭BLACKEN

Thanks for clearing that up for me, i did a little research and found that i do have little too no rights but i'm more qualified now and i was never a fan of the cash in hand system as i do usually pay my way in work but again at the time anything was better than sponging on the dole.

Appreciate the advice. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

BLACKEN wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up for me, i did a little research and found that i do have little too no rights but i'm more qualified now and i was never a fan of the cash in hand system as i do usually pay my way in work but again at the time anything was better than sponging on the dole.

Appreciate the advice. :-)

Assuming your not signing on at the moment...be prepared to be asked lots of questions by Social Welfare should you need to sign on in the future.
    They will be very interested in what you've been doing.

You should note that as it was CIH, you have accumulated absolutely NO PRSI credits which go towards social welfare payments, pension etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭BLACKEN

Assuming your not signing on at the moment...be prepared to be asked lots of questions by Social Welfare should you need to sign on in the future.
    They will be very interested in what you've been doing.

You should note that as it was CIH, you have accumulated absolutely NO PRSI credits which go towards social welfare payments, pension etc.

I've been working part time while in college, i graduate in two weeks and i'm looking to move on anyway with a bit of luck.

Advertisement