Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*NEW* Cycling to work

Options
  • 28-04-2017 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Just after getting a road bike and I'm going to start cycling to and from work. It's around a 15km each way cycle and there's showers in work.

I work shifts and will be cycling home in the dark a lot, just looking for some advice on the top gear to get in general.

Looking for a lock, lights, apparel and possibly a bag. Open to other suggestions

Not too conscious on the budget but would appreciate some good advice/value.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Helmet, Hi viz jacket and a license! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Don't forget to pay your road tax too.

Get yourself a kryptonite lock, in my experience they're the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

amcalester wrote: »

Make sure it's an orange or yellow one though, the grey ones are surprisingly flimsy, and not what Kryptonite got their name for (this sounds tongue in cheek, but when you look at the range it makes sense!)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

looking for specifics, does anyone have experience with specific equipment or would lights for example all be relatively similar enough in quality?

amcalester wrote: »

cycling road tax, that'd be the day.

fella in the shop tried to sell me an ABUS lock, didn't like the look of it myself also see a lot of Kryptonites around i'll take a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

HowItsMade wrote: »
    looking for specifics, does anyone have experience with specific equipment or would lights for example all be relatively similar enough in quality?

What sort of roads will you be on? Urban lit roads or small unlit roads? Lots of USB LED bike lights available nowadays which are great for not worrying about replacing batteries.

In terms of gear, a lot is personal preference. In rain I take the swimming shorts and light jacket approach, others prefer head to toe waterproof gear. If you're going 15km each way I'm guessing you'll be showering and going for full change of clothes, so getting soaked isn't really a huge issue. I leave a pair of runners in work in case I do end up getting soaked through, and carry change of clothes in and out each day, some though leave a weeks worth of gear in work.

Will be on small unlit roads for about 3km then move on to urban roads and into the city. Coming from north Dublin into town and ending up on Grand Canal Street.

Yes, will be showering in work. What type of bag do you use to carry gear in?

Still trying to gauge what'll be best for carrying in gear in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Well Kryptonite yellow or orange as outlined above. also assuming you have quick release wheels I would get a set of security skewers. Saves you having to get a cable in addition to lock for front wheel. The ones below are expensive but there are cheaper options

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pitlock-2pc-security-wheel-skewer-set/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360576320&kpid=5360576320&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7cs01zJnNUJ_dc%7cpcrid%7c67090789502%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360576320uk

For lights it depends on the type of area you are cycling in. Dark country areas you need to see as well as being seen but for urban areas with street lights you really only need to be seen. Cateye are a recognised brand with a wide range of lights so have a look at them.

for example something like this for city cycling at the cheaper end of the scale. For lights make sure they are easily removable so you can throw them in your pocket when locking bike

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cateye-omni-3-front-rear-set/rp-prod141206

Personally I use a backback but many on here use panniers. Its a personal preference. Anything from the Deuter range is fairly good for a backpack. I use the one below in a 30 litre version

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/deuter-trans-alpine-25-backpack/rp-prod88939

do a quick search for lights, panniers, backpacks, lock and you will find threads on this forum with most of the info you need.

edit. Just typed this up as others were contributing useful posts and links so plenty of info for you now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The good kryptonite is 50% off on amazon right now

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Cycling-Locks/Kryptonite-York-Standard-FlexFrame-Bracket/B005YPK9SY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493367428&sr=8-1&keywords=kryptonite+new+york

I have it and am please enough with it. ?45 and gets free delivery, so about ?54.

it is actually cheap enough in halfords too ?65
    http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-locks/bike-locks/kryptonite-new-york-bike-lock

?85.50 in cyclesuperstore which is a typical price
    https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=104639

The better M18 is also on sale https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-New-York-M18-Lock/dp/B000AOA3W6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1493367428&sr=8-3&keywords=kryptonite+new+york

that is usually not on cycling websites, think they class it more as motorbike, thicker shackle.

"on guard" is a more reasonably priced lock brand which can have similar strength ratings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Depends on the roads - there's "be seen" and "see" versions really. I've cheap enough LED ones I got in Aldi that I am happy with as "Be seen" ones in an urban environment. Similar to these - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIJOCANO/jobsworth-canopus-usb-rechargeable-light

Country roads, especially if busy, I'd be looking at something better.

If you're only cycling for commuting, I'd look at a rack and panniers, but that really comes down to personal preference.

Will be on small unlit roads for about 3km then move on to urban roads and into the city. Coming from north Dublin into town and ending up on Grand Canal Street.

Yes, will be showering in work. What type of bag do you use to carry gear in?

Still trying to gauge what'll be best for carrying in gear in and out.

I use a Wenger messenger bag or a deuter backpack

The messenger bag is only water resistant, but comfortable, cheap, has tons of pockets and useful when I have to lug my laptop in or out.

The deuter bag has a waterproof cover and is fairly comfortable. It has a built-in frame and netting which keep the bag slightly off your back, but this frame can be uncomfortable on a road bike as you lean forward more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,624 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Lights. Stay away from the cheap versions. A good set of lights can cost a bit but the known brands (Cateye etc) are well worth it. USB recharge are great. Also get a few cheaper versions. I leave these on my bike all the time. Very much an emergency measure and since only cost a few quid don't worry about them being nicked (unlike the good set)

A decent set of mudguards. Not the cheapass flimsy plastic things you see on most bikes. SKS raceblade are great. It is amazing how much difference a good set of mudguards make. From keeping your bum and bike much cleaner and dryer to even keeping the wet off your feet (not totally but it does not a big difference.

As people have said a great lock. Not even good, don't skimp on this. It's kinds like the military. You are basically spending the money so you never have to use it. Make your lock better than everyone elses and potential bike thieves will go for the easier option.

Thanks for the feedback, going to have a look online now, looking like i'll go with the kryptonite on sale on amazon.

USB lights seem the way to go as well, could recharge in work.

Anyone else have feedback on mudguards are they as essential as Leroy42 reckons.

As for bags I don't fancy sticking a bike rack and pannier, personal preference.

Been looking for maybe a messenger bag like a chrome one, but not too keen on the price I'd almost bare with using an old bagpack for the first few weeks or so.

does everyone generally use a U-lock and cable extension or two ulocks etc?

also do people make use of bag covers or just leave them bare?

Understood, makes sense with the weight of the locks.

How much would a decent pannier and rack set you back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I use this backpack, which is brilliant, if you can get it. Plenty of room, laptop sleeve, stowable raincover, strap pocket for keys. Doubles as hi-viz in the bright orange colour too.

PaulieC wrote: »
    I use this backpack, which is brilliant, if you can get it. Plenty of room, laptop sleeve, stowable raincover, strap pocket for keys. Doubles as hi-viz in the bright orange colour too.

Assuming you shower in work? Is the back sweat much of an inconvinience? And where do you stow locks.

Familiar with Osprey, family member has a backpacking bag she swears by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Deedsie wrote: »
    I bought a set of ortlieb back roller classics on ebay for €75. Used but perfectly fine. The rack you could pick up for €25 to €35. I have a topeak Super Tourist rack on my road bike.

I resisted the rack and panniers for years, wish I had got them earlier.

Whatever about any of that. Locks, Locks, Locks has to be priority number one. You dont have to buy everything in one go.

Locks this month, lights next month, rear pannier rack the following month if you are finding the backpack unpleasant. Etc Etc

agreed on the rack & panniers comment, i've only started using mine in the last 2 years having commuted for 15 years and they're brilliant. especially when the days get warmer, 15km with a backpack on is going to be unpleasant.

i'd also second the mudguards recommendation - you'd be amazed how quickly your feet and back will be sopping wet without them. good full length ones are key too.

what bike did you get btw? as it's a road bike it might not have eyelets for some racks & guards so may dictate what your choice would be.

• Advertisement

How much would a decent pannier and rack set you back?
    On my commuter I use an Aldi Rack and Panniers. I can't remember if they've been in recent years, but they'll be doing cycling gear fairly soon I imagine. The bags have a waterproof back, water resistant front, and then one of the covers in a pocket at the bottom, with a roll top. They've worked for me in pretty crap weather.

agreed on the rack & panniers comment, i've only started using mine in the last 2 years having commuted for 15 years and they're brilliant. especially when the days get warmer, 15km with a backpack on is going to be unpleasant.

i'd also second the mudguards recommendation - you'd be amazed how quickly your feet and back will be sopping wet without them. good full length ones are key too.

what bike did you get btw? as it's a road bike it might not have eyelets for some racks & guards so may dictate what your choice would be.

I'll have to consider getting those so, but definitely going to attempt plenty of runs with the bag to see what it's like.

I got a Giant Contend 2, should be okay for all of these? Still waiting to go and collect the bike also.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Where will you be leaving the bike? Some people leave heavy locks locked to bike racks (especially if your workplace has a dedicated one) so they don't have to lug it in and out every time. If you lock the bike on the street be prepared to lose it one day unfortunately.
    Don't spend too much on shorts and cycling top if you're commuting and then showering. Something that dries quickly is probably your biggest requirement. I find Aldi or planetx stuff more than grand. That said a goodish jacket, 50-100e, is a worthwhile investment, you'll have it for years and will probably wear it all year round if it's breathable and also warm. cyclestore.co.uk usually does good commuter jacket deals.
    You can get basic panniers or backpacks for 10e. Maybe get these and see how you like them before forking out on fancy ones if a sale comes up maybe. Or someone can get them as Christmas presents etc.
    Keep an eye for bargains on the Bargain Alerts thread here or browse Wiggle, Chain Reaction, PlanetX, Cyclestore.co.uk, Rose, etc. Unfortunately bike shops here are often 1/3 to 1/2 more expensive usually.
    Probably best off getting new puncture resistant tyres straightaway. City cycling is death on tyres, especially stock ones that come with a bike. Try and do a deal for them if you're getting the bike from a shop. If you aren't comfortable fixing a puncture look it up on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Learn the basics for road side emergencies - replacing (and carrying a spare) a tube an absolute must. You might want to consider a folding tyre for a catastrophic failure. Consider carrying a chain breaker / spare links.

You'll get to work on one gear / brake cable, but not with a flat or broken chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

As for bags I don't fancy sticking a bike rack and pannier, personal preference.

+1 travel as light as possible. Do you intend cycling every day? if you don't want to carry anything cycle four days a week. on the 5th day bring 4 days of work clothes into work and bring the laundry home.

Leave your bike lock in work so you don't have to carry it each day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just carry a small backpack; wallet, keys, spare cycling top, etc.
    it seems to double how much i sweat though.

spare cycling top as the weather recently has been very variable and a warm top you want on a cold morning can result in a sweat fest on the trip home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Assuming you shower in work? Is the back sweat much of an inconvinience? And where do you stow locks.

Familiar with Osprey, family member has a backpacking bag she swears by.

Yes, I shower in work. I am lucky enough to have use of an indoor, underground bike rack so I normally just lock the lock to the rack when not using it so avoid carrying, but that backpack has a pocket for a U-lock in the front should you want to carry it.

I don't think there is any backpack that can prevent sweat build up on your back, despite the manufacturer's claims. Like others, I wear light tshirts and a lidloraldi jacket and carry day clothes in the bag, so the tshirt is dry by home time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you've an indoor bike rack you should ask them to do what has been done in our building - there's a track pump locked in the bike shed.

Yep, I also do the lock a lock to the bike rack bit. A heavy chain/ motorbike style one. Probably not as good as the kryptonite ones mentioned, but better than ones on much better bikes in my place!

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot to everyone. Very insightful into the different ways to go about things.

Never even thought of leaving the lock in work but that'll definitely be an option as there's an underground bike cage in the carpark.

Biggest dilemma is the bag vs. pannier situation, shouldn't be too much of a problem with the bag to start as i'll be showering in work.

Interesting idea leaving clothes in work at the start of the week and also collecting them at the end of the week.

Any other contributions/tips or suggestions welcome

Advertisement