Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*NEW* Cycling to work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

For lights, a dynamo hub and german-spec lights are the best choice. They'll light your way, never run out of charge and you'll be well seen by other road users.

Front light €55
    Rear light €19
    Dynamo hub wheel €87

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

+1 to the rechargeable lights, I have 200 lumen on the front and I find it invaluable both on the dark unlit roads but also in the city during the day etc to be seen by traffic. Definitely get a mudguard for the back anyway, I have one that screws on so I leave it off on the days it's dry but it saves a wet ass in the wet!! I commute 20K each way with a back pack but have started bringing the bulk of stuff in on a Monday & home on a Friday and then using a small bum bag on the days in between, it can be sweaty but you'll figure out what works for you as the weeks go on. I'm lucky enough to be able to bring the bike into the office so no locking issues. One thing I'd say is layers..! The temperature difference from morning to evening can be 10 degrees some days.

Oh and enjoy :) you won't find a better way to commute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

Curious question: What do people do with their lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

HowItsMade wrote: »

Eat it generally:)

I use a plastic Tupperware container with a couple of sambos and a few bits of fruit.

Just on the backpack v pannier debate. I find one big advantage of the backpack is that once the bike is locked up you just walk off. No rummaging in panniers or taking them off bike ect. A 30 litre one will take everything you need. Including lunch!!

Lunch? LUNCH?, Lunch is for whimps*....:cool:

*buy mine for the week on a Monday and leave it the fridge in work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Treat yourself! (with all the money your saving on Bus/train fare)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Treat yourself! (with all the money your saving on Bus/train fare)

And you'll have plenty of spare calories too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Is there any one who cycles in that doesn't have a shower at work? I'm thinking on starting to cycle in but i dont wanna be stinking out the office, id have a 27K cycle... Any good hack for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Is there any one who cycles in that doesn't have a shower at work? I'm thinking on starting to cycle in but i dont wanna be stinking out the office, id have a 27K cycle... Any good hack for this?
    Baby wipes, or flannel and soap! And plenty of deodorant. (The lynx shower as it was known in my youth!)

Depends on the terrain and how hard you want to push it how "bad" you might be. I'd definitely look at alternatives to a back pack if no shower.

How much lunch are you thinking that won't fit in a pannier or a rucksack? :eek:

• Advertisement

Babywipes ;)

Deedsie wrote: »
    27km each way is a long commute on a bike. Could you not drive halfway and cycle the rest?

My commute is 25k each way. I know quite a few that have much longer commutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I do 12k each way but I've the wind behind me and it's a gentle downhill pretty much the whole way, so no need to shower in the office, unless I'm soaked through I prefer to shower then. Going home into the wind and uphill is a different story.

27k does seem like a long spin without a shower, especially if it's bucketing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I think once you have clean clothes and are showering regularly (at home) this isint a big issue. Its unlikely you would stink out the office after one sweaty cycle if you put on clean clothes. A towel and some deodorant should be fine. I do 20k each way and rarely have a shower in work. No complaints from my co workers yet.

probably more important that you have somewhere to dry cycling clothes for those mornings you get wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Any good hack for this?
    electric bike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

A mix of a bit of shampoo and tea tree oil in water in a pump spray bottle makes for a handy spray-on-wipe-off 'shower'.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    A mix of a bit of shampoo and tea tree oil in water in a pump spray bottle makes for a handy spray-on-wipe-off 'shower'.

Very MacGyver!

Lidl have their bike stuff in next thursday op, including pannier bags - the yellow and white ones on this link http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=55058 look similar to the ones I have, if they have the waterproof cover in the bottom (mine were aldi, but think the lidl ones are the same). If it is, this style has worked for me on wet commutes.

Advertisement