Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packing Boxes

Options
  • 28-04-2017 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend where to get these for moving home?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Try adverts or similar, that's where we got ours. At the time there was plenty of unused ones out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Zelda247 wrote: »

Try boutique clothes shops for delivery cardboard boxes.
    Ideal for clothes and bedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, we got a bunch of large ones too, they weren't great in the end, too awkward to get out the doors and impossible to get through an attic door, and awkward to stack due to their weight. Best

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ask in shops for their delivery boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

We bought cardboard boxes last year and they were terrible and heavy to lift. So when we needed more we bought the IKEA clear boxes, so handy to see everything and easy to lift. They now provide storage and there wasn't a big difference in price than the moving box package we ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Ask at your nearest McDonalds - they go through a load of boxes every day and are usually only too happy to give them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

We live in a very rural area so no shops anywhere near that would have lots of boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We live in a very rural area so no shops anywhere near that would have lots of boxes.

Same here; ask af eg LIDL and I am sure they will save them for you? They crush and recycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,256 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Wherever you get your weekly shopping will have boxes. Ask when their next delivery is. They have to crush them and wrap them and dispose of them so they're usually happy to let you take them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Casa2

As I was already stressed with moving houses I preferred to buy it and have it delivered with everything. <mod snip> only for Kitchen fragile stuff I used Ikea plastic boxes and I am using it as storage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,876 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ikea flattanable cardboard ones have done me for two moves and much use bringing Lego to exhibits

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask in shops for their delivery boxes.

Specifically book shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nutser

Another recommendation for the ikea packing boxes here. They are very strong and don't require tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Ask your local shop/supermarket who sell bananas for the boxes. They are great and can be piled 4-6 high depending on what weight you have in them.
    Another advantage is they are all the same size so they are easy to load into vans/trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Thanks for all your responses, I don't think we would be able to go around shops etc as we live in a very rural area. I think the best thing is to try to get them on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I really recommend getting proper packing boxes. They will be strong and, most importantly, all the same size. This makes stacking and moving around much easier.

When we last moved I started getting boxes from the local supermarket, thinking I was being smart. But all the different sizes were actually a nuisance. Then I got a load of proper moving boxes from a friend who had just moved and the difference they made was immense.

I gave them away for free on Adverts afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

IKEA in the marketplace have clear storage boxes and lids going for dirt cheap. We just moved and picked a few of these up and they were great.

Other then that the usual stuff. I got boxes from work thankfully as there was a cleanout going on, but in the 3 moves before I was going to my local supermarket and grab some young lad who would be out with loads. My old local supermarket in swords actually tried to charge me for boxes, so walked in next door to Lidl and some lad just grabbed loads from the back and brought them out to the car with me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I see that you are thinking of buying them but if you have a local hospital nearby they will have LOTS of boxes they will be happy to give you!

Buying them is expensive and a waste of money in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Any decent hardware store will sell them, but you will end up with a lot of wastage.

Any time I've moved I just rented the boxes from the moving company, always guaranteed sturdy boxes with proper cut outs for easy carrying. Plus they will supply labels you can attach for identifying the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Video of packing tipes:
    https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fbuzzfeednifty%2Fvideos%2F1873465202908203%2F

However, when cutting the triangular holes in the side of the cardboard box, don't make the top cut - just fold it in, to give an easier grip.

Advertisement