Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment prospects for special needs children

Options
  • 28-04-2017 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Some context  - we have lived outside Ireland for the past 10 years and are considering moving back. We have a son, 16, with developmental delay currently attending school.
    We are hoping that somebody out there in boards-land could point us in the right direction with regard to getting information about the employment and/or education prospects for our lad or, failing that what's available after secondary education?
    TIA,
    FP

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Look up the DARE scheme, its a way for school leavers with special needs to access college education.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

In Kildare where im from there's a twinning between KARE (intellectual disability organisation) and Naas hospital. Naas provide a years training within each department with work experience supported by the KARE staff. Seems to be a high percentage of the guys gaining employment afterwards. I've heard that Tallaght hospital are thinking of something similar. Seems to be a huge success by all accounts. What part of the country are you relocating to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ford Prefect

First of all, Boards is gold.
    What part of the country are you relocating to ?
    Ideally (south) Dublin but we're just sounding things out. We'd have a certain affinity to south county Dublin but we're just getting a gist of things so location isn't really a factor for us. We're just trying to get a sense of the "atmosphere".

We're just looking for information leads at the moment and, if anyone has first-hand experience all the better.

I thought I'd been over citizensinformation with a fine-toothed comb but, Big Bag, I missed that one. eviltwin, you're not so evil.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

• Advertisement
Advertisement