Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamping in Cycle Lanes

Options
  • 28-04-2017 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭

Very conflicted about this. Saw a Van parked in the cycle lane on Westland Row clamped this morning.
    On the one hand I'm delighted to see action being taken but on the other it's really just going to prolong the impediment to cyclists, of course getting a tow-truck would just enable the offender to get away before the truck would arrive.
    Would a fine be better in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Clamping is better. The deterrent effect outweighs the inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Towing away would be better.. Clamping just means the van will be parked in the cycle lane longer..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In high priority locations, they tend to clamp and then, when a tow truck is available, tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The main benefit of clamping is the highly visible message it sends out to others - something a fine doesn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Very conflicted about this. Saw a Van parked in the cycle lane on Westland Row clamped this morning.
    On the one hand I'm delighted to see action being taken but on the other it's really just going to prolong the impediment to cyclists, of course getting a tow-truck would just enable the offender to get away before the truck would arrive.
    Would a fine be better in this case?

i saw it in the process of being clamped, with the clampers van parked across the road and it both on double yellow lines and up on the footpath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I pass here every evening on my way to the train station. The amount of cars dropping kids to the school of music and blocking the lane is amazing. The pharmacy seems to be the worst offender though - always getting deliveries with the truck blocking both the cycle land and mounted on the path.

Would be nice to have a garda along there every so often to force cars to keep moving.

Advertisement