Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Raven closed?

Options
  • 28-04-2017 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭

Was meeting a friend for a drink last night & spotted the Raven was shut. Bad news when you see that on a Thur night I'd imagine :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It seems to have ceased trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Hope it's closed for refurbishment....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

That pub really went down the swanny. Remember a few years back it was always jointed - dunno what happened. A friend of mine went in there last year, no-one in there, said he was standing at the bar for about 5-10 mins for a barman to show up. Had a look around the back, no one there either. So he just left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Raven easily had the most inept bar staff in the city. No real loss if it's goneski.

Though I think The (new) Liberty may be the same people as The Raven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

gimmick wrote: »
    The Raven easily had the most inept bar staff in the city. No real loss if it's goneski.

Though I think The (new) Liberty may be the same people as The Raven.

Nice cozy place for a laid back pint all the same. Will be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

It was roughly this time last year I remember seeing planning permission request to extend the Raven back into an adjoining cafe,in its day it was a totally different pub clientelle wise to what it's been recently,real old pub,shame to see it close.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Once upon a time it was an old man's pub. It was also an early morning pub, frequented by dockers, I think. It was then refurbished and transformed. Obviously needs another refurb.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

overmantle wrote: »
    Once upon a time it was an old man's pub. It was also an early morning pub, frequented by dockers, I think. It was then refurbished and transformed. Obviously needs another refurb.

Yes, the old Raven was notoriously dodgy and strange. The kind of place you'd go for an early morning pint in for a dare.

For some reason I was never in the 'new' Raven. Reckon it changed hands and was rebuilt in around 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Never done up music was awful no loss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Last I heard they were extending into the place next door on liberty street?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

No surprise if it's gone.
    Was a good spot about 10 years ago but they never did anything with the place. That's fine in one way but I always got the impression they couldn't have cared less about their customers. When the place was less full you could see that it was just a grotty place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Not out so often now but always liked the place, a lot of places have a sort of elitist crowd with similar backgrounds, music tastes, ages etc always felt raven was different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Couldn't less if it stayed open or closed, but never personally liked the place. Staff to far up their own arse - it was just pulling pints. Only went there a handful of times when some of the lads wanted to go there. Bar took up too much room, poor layout, ..... just another bar really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

By any chance was this a gig venue pre 2000 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

By any chance was this a gig venue pre 2000 ?

No.

Used to be our first port of call on a night out up to about 8/9 years ago.
    Haven't been there in years but always liked it...... decent crowd of normal folk in there......... seemed to be free from wannabe knobs, scummers, weirdoes, pervs, posers & twats.
    Met more than one lovely lady in there too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

byronbay2 wrote: »
    No.

Its the pheonix I was thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Its the pheonix I was thinking of.

The Phoenix did have some gigs on upstairs, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Think the days of the stand-alone one-trick pub are gone, even in the city centre.

Everything needs an angle now, food and/or live music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Noticed that renovation work is going on in the building next door so guess it's going to come back bigger (maybe better?).

• Advertisement

I mentioned that already that they were extending into next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bizz213

The crowd behind Electric are reopening it i believe

Another bar for Ernest so will also be involved with the reopening of redz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

It was roughly this time last year I remember seeing planning permission request to extend the Raven back into an adjoining cafe,in its day it was a totally different pub clientelle wise to what it's been recently,real old pub,shame to see it close.

Planning application was successful http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1637011/0

Planning Notes: The Raven pub and airport business park could be set for expansion

Thursday, March 17, 2016
    A Cork City pub is in line for possible extension, if a decision goes its way in the next week.

The proposal was submitted last August to change the use of the ground and first floors of No 3, Liberty Street, from bakery and shop to café/bar/restaurant.

The plan is to connect the premises to the Raven bar, by removing part of an internal wall of the premises, and also to construct a ground-floor rear extension.

Cork City Council received a response last month to its request from applicant, The Raven Partnership, for further information in relation to the plans.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/propert...on-387853.html

Advertisement