Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mind Over Marathon

• 28-04-2017 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Surprised there isn't a thread here for this program.
    I watched it last week and the second part last night.
    What do people think of it?

I think it was a very good program, it was interesting. It reminded me a bit of Bressie's program from a year or two ago.

While it did go some way into bringing awareness of mental health to the fore, I don't think that running is a solution for mental health problems. I think it can help some people, I know it helps me sometimes to clear my head, or to mull things over, problem solve, plan and organise things. The fresh air and exercise is certain good for my health, I try to drink more water, bit more conscious of what I eat. I'm a quiet person but I make myself step outside my comfort zone at events and even just say hello to people.

I've never come close to marathon ability or commitment. I was a bit surprised that they all seemed to be on the same training plan even though there was varying degrees of fitness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04yy0f1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I saw some of it. I thought it was ok. Was good to see how they encouraged each other throughout and built some friendships. I do think that running would help mental health issues in terms of getting outside regularly ... and especially setting-goals-and-working-towards-them. Not a fix for more serious conditions I wouldn't think.

Training-wise, it seeme that many of the participants hadn't really enough of a base to be taking on a full marathon. But because the program was staged around that they continued on, even though for one runner the longest LSR before the event was about 11miles. Those runners would have been better off aiming for the HM and/or improving a 10k, but it doesn't fit The Marathon story ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭ooter

Haven't seen the 2nd part but at the end of the 1st part it was 10 weeks out and the furthest most of them had run was 10k. :eek:
    The girl that had run 16 miles would've been ok, she looked very determined anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I got the impression that they just left out the boring bits of people training. In the second programme they claimed that two weeks out they started to do some "essential" strength training. I'm sure that was just to be able to film some filler footage for the programme and their trainers hadn't actually had them doing it with any purpose. Most of the boring long miles were just off the telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I personally don't see anything wrong with their training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I haven't watched this yet but I will, someone mentioned it to me yesterday.

I'm on medication for depression myself for the last nearly two months. When I went to my doctor for help, her approach was more than just medication though. She recommended counselling and exercise also, running and/or the gym. I was really glad she didn't just dose me with meds and took my running history into account. It's hard getting back into running but I know that it will do me a world of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I actually think exercise is a wonderdrug when it comes to issues of depression. Long term exercise produces serotonin which is pretty much a go to drug in the form SSRI's by doctors in my experience. Exercise has alot less negative side-effects than every drug out there and you are improving yourself both physically and mentally all in one. Nothing beats the rush of a post-run endorphin buzz either which is a nice little reminder that you are still alive.

Even when you go past hormone changes and look into behavioral patterns associated with depression and other mental health issues, regular exercise acts very similarly to CBT by getting people out of the house, getting some sun even if it is Ireland, eventually forming new social groups and having goals to aim for and improve yourself and confidence in yourself and have value.

Personally, I've never been a fan of medication so my opinion is biased but I've enough experience of the effects of drugs to feel that the negative side-effects almost always always outweigh the good you get from them when talking psychologically, whether that is the illicit drugs to paper over the cracks of a downward spiral or masking a void through prescription, they are a temporary fix. Obviously that's not always the case especially when it comes to severe mental health disorders, My point is that I see so many people dependant on prescription meds for depression and anxiety just to get through the day but feeling good because of the meds doesn't address the issue alone in my experience. Being more pro-active to changing behavioral patterns and breaking the vicious cycle is where the money is (easy, eh?;)). Medication may be an aid to doing that for some but meds alone are not the solution.

That's why I think exercise is the wonderdrug for depression and anxiety. It helps hormonally, behaviorally and physically and the side-effects are few and far between. Personally, I spent the bones of 2 years on a lot of different meds locked up in my cave with very little improvement until I eventually packed them in and focused on running which has being nothing short of lifechanging for me and I don't use that word lightly. It hasn't cured me if there is such a thing and I'm still prone to lapses but the difference from 5 years ago is astronomical for me and my happiness. I put that down running as it was the perfect stepping stone for me to go out and do other things as well.

It may not be the answer for everyone, there is no such thing but I feel regular exercise is that a hell of a lot of better answer for a huge amount of people who are out there with mental health problems than a prescription drug dependency which is not being addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

El Caballo - I'm not going to quote your entire post, but I have to say very well said. It's been my personal experience too that exercise has been the best therapy for my own anxiety and depression issues which had been ongoing for years. It's not something I talk about regularly (if ever on here). I've been through the whole medication and self medication route and they each brought their own problems. It all started initially with just joining a gym and going there a few days a week, then a few runs outside and then someone encouraged to run a race back in 2014 and I haven't looked back since. I haven't felt as good or been able to think as clearly in years. Taking up running has without a doubt been the best thing I've ever done for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

El Caballo wrote: »
    I actually think exercise is a wonderdrug when it comes to issues of depression. Long term exercise produces serotonin which is pretty much a go to drug in the form SSRI's by doctors in my experience. Exercise has alot less negative side-effects than every drug out there and you are improving yourself both physically and mentally all in one. Nothing beats the rush of a post-run endorphin buzz either which is a nice little reminder that you are still alive.

Even when you go past hormone changes and look into behavioral patterns associated with depression and other mental health issues, regular exercise acts very similarly to CBT by getting people out of the house, getting some sun even if it is Ireland, eventually forming new social groups and having goals to aim for and improve yourself and confidence in yourself and have value.

Personally, I've never been a fan of medication so my opinion is biased but I've enough experience of the effects of drugs to feel that the negative side-effects almost always always outweigh the good you get from them when talking psychologically, whether that is the illicit drugs to paper over the cracks of a downward spiral or masking a void through prescription, they are a temporary fix. Obviously that's not always the case especially when it comes to severe mental health disorders, My point is that I see so many people dependant on prescription meds for depression and anxiety just to get through the day but feeling good because of the meds doesn't address the issue alone in my experience. Being more pro-active to changing behavioral patterns and breaking the vicious cycle is where the money is (easy, eh?;)). Medication may be an aid to doing that for some but meds alone are not the solution.

That's why I think exercise is the wonderdrug for depression and anxiety. It helps hormonally, behaviorally and physically and the side-effects are few and far between. Personally, I spent the bones of 2 years on a lot of different meds locked up in my cave with very little improvement until I eventually packed them in and focused on running which has being nothing short of lifechanging for me and I don't use that word lightly. It hasn't cured me if there is such a thing and I'm still prone to lapses but the difference from 5 years ago is astronomical for me and my happiness. I put that down running as it was the perfect stepping stone for me to go out and do other things as well.

It may not be the answer for everyone, there is no such thing but I feel regular exercise is that a hell of a lot of better answer for a huge amount of people who are out there with mental health problems than a prescription drug dependency which is not being addressed.
    Probably the best thing I have read on the athletics site.I would take a guess,that this is why at least 40% of us run.Great post man.

Advertisement