Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skin product advice for clogged skin

Options
  • 28-04-2017 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope this is the correct subforum.

I'm male and approaching 40. I've always had issues with clogged pores and blackheads.

My 'routine' is currently to splash some warm water on my face in the morning followed by Bulldog anti-aging mosituriser.
    Every second day I'd use a daily scrub as I find them very harsh for daily use. I've tried face washes but I find they seem to increase the amount of clogged pores.
    I've got Boots Tea Tree & Witch Hazel Charcoal face mask which I use every 1 - 2 weeks.

I was recommended some Dermalogica products (Active Moist and Dermal Clay Cleanser) a number of years ago from a friend who was a beautican, but got out of the way of using them.

Would they still be the best for me or what should I be doing to improve my skincare?

Is there anything I can do to remove the blackheads and clogged pores? I was previously recommended Aztec Healing Indian Clay on here, but I'm now wondering about a 'total' solution for a skincare routine as I'm getting older and looking to consider everything.
    I don't mind going to Dermalogica type prices if the product is genuinely worth it and necessary.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I'f recommend looking into a chemical exfoliant, something like Pixi Glow tonic that also has witch hazel should help unclog pores and remove dead skin. You'll need to wear an SPF daily with it as all chemical exfoliants increase your skins sun sensitivity and use a cleanser each evening to remove the SPF (a gentle non foaming wash would be best).

You can definitely go for dermologica is you want though, whatever you think would suit you best

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

GingerLily wrote: »
    I'f recommend looking into a chemical exfoliant, something like Pixi Glow tonic that also has witch hazel should help unclog pores and remove dead skin. You'll need to wear an SPF daily with it as all chemical exfoliants increase your skins sun sensitivity and use a cleanser each evening to remove the SPF (a gentle non foaming wash would be best).

Thanks - I'll look into that.
    You can definitely go for dermologica is you want though, whatever you think would suit you best

That's it though - I don't know what would suit me best!

Hi,

I'm only getting back to looking at this again - forgot all about it!

Is Aztec Healing Indian Clay any good or are there any other recommendations?

After reading up on what a toner is (to figure out what the Pixi Glow Tonic was - discovered that it has a floral scent - which doesn't suit a male!), it would seem that I would require a cleanser and a moisturiser to complete the 'routine'. Would it be better to have all products from a single range?

Back again :)

I've been doing some more reading and it seems that to clear and prevent blackheads that products using Salicylic and Glycolic Acid and also retanoids are the best options.

I've never used any of these - or really know much about them.

Can someone give me advice as to what I should be looking to purchase which has the above?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Hey there!

I have similar issue with my skin, my pores are very large, however, they no longer look as clogged due to finally having a routine that suits. One change I would make to your routine would be adding a cleanser. and using it both morning and evening. I have had great results with the Kiehl's Ultra Facial cleanser. And don't worry, no scent :)

For salicylic/glycolic acid, I think many users will be able to advise you here, but don't let the idea of 'floral' scents put you off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Nip + Fab pads from Boots may be helpful for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I've been doing some more reading and it seems that to clear and prevent blackheads that products using Salicylic and Glycolic Acid and also retanoids are the best options.

Can someone give me advice as to what I should be looking to purchase which has the above?

Thanks.

They are also called chemical exfoliants and I think someone recommended them to you already.
    Pixie glow tonic is a glycolic acid toner and the scent lasts minutes at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

They are also called chemical exfoliants and I think someone recommended them to you already.

I did 3 months ago!! Lol

There's no point using AHAs if your skin has no routine or if you're not looking after it and if you do use them you have to use a good spf every single day.

Any chemical exfoliant is harsh on your skin and your skin needs time to get used to it.
    Retinoids are for acne or damaged skin really, it wouldnt be a first stage choice for skin that isn't used to treatments.

GingerLily wrote: »
    I did 3 months ago!! Lol

I thought it was you alright! I'm on the phone so couldn't check once I'd started writing :)

• Advertisement

Hi - yes you are correct. Apologies, I just read the post and seen Witch Hazel. I didn't think to read the full list of ingredients. I'll try a bottle of that then so.

Is there anything special I need to look out for in a moisturiser? I currently just use a regular mens mosituriser (Bull Dog Anti-aging) but I find it seems to sit on my skin rather than absorbing into it.
    I understand that an SPF in the mosituriser would be good if using alongside the chemical exfoliant.

Oh - any special cleaner? I guess that the foaming type would not be suitable for my skin?

Apologies for so many questions - I'm not really sure what I'm doing - approaching 40 and thinking I need to take a bit more care of myself.

What type of skin do you have apart from the spots?
    When you put on moisturiser does it sink in at the same rate everywhere or are some parts gone really fast and others last ages?
    When your face is dry do you have dry or oily patches?

It'd help to recommend cleansers and moisturisers if we knew your skin type :)

Don't worry about asking questions we like to help!!

Small black heads on forehead, nose and upper cheeks.
    I think it sinks in quicker on the sahveed areas - but then the remaining areas are quite oily.
    I'd say my skin is mostly oily.
    Mostly oily patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hey! I said hey!

Thanks.
    Try some products from the The Ordinary range (you have to order online) I find the glycolic toner and the 2% retinoid very good for oily clogged skin. They make you much more vulnerable to UV though so a daily spf is a must. These products don't have a feminine scent/packaging at all and they really are cheap as chips. They have a huge range which can seem a bit overwhelming at the start so I'd recommend googling their products a bit to see what would be right for you but definitely those two above from how you've described your skin. You could always go to a salon and have your skin properly assessed too they get male clients all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You need to get in to a good basic routine

Active Moist is good if you're oily
    Dermal Clay cleanser is a little bit better for congestion. i wouldn't like to recommend specific products without knowing more about your skin though.

You need to get a basic routine down.

1. Cleanse
    Twice a day. Dermalogica is a good brand, image also.
    Generally a hot oil cleanser can be nice if you're just starting out. Hot Oil cleansers tend to be soothing enough on the skin and oil will break down oil. I use a microfibre cloth to wash my face and find it very gentle and thorough.

2. Exfoliation
    You basically have two options here.
    - scrub
    - aha

I'd personally go for an Aha as they're amazing at exfoliating without the harshness of a scrub. I certainly wouldn't be using this every day. Once a week is enough for an exfoliation.

3. Moisturiser
    If you're oily skinned, then you need an oil free moisturiser.

Start with those 3 basics before you get into a big huge complicated skin care routine. Cleanse twice daily, moisturise and exfoliate once a week.

When you get that down, you can introduce in more routine if you want

Okay, getting there slowly :(

1. Cleanse
    Either Dermalogica Clay Cleanser or Hot Oil Cleanser.

2. Exfoliate
    ?

3. Mositurise
    Dermalogica Active Moist

Cleanse
    What is the Hot Oil best to use? Is it a laborious process? It seems that you make this mix yourself using Castor Oil and a thinner oil like sunflower seed oil to thin it out a bit. Sounds messy - is it? Gets good reviews though.
    Alternative is to purchase something myself such as a recommended oil or Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser.
    What do I do here?
    EDIT: Found this link. Is this what I should be doing: https://crunchybetty.com/oil-cleansing-method/? Does then mean that you only cleanse when you need to or do you swap to another cleanser (that doesn't contain sulfates or sulfides) on the other nights?

Exfoliate
    Should I be looking at a BHA instead of an AHA? Apologies - I really don't mean to be contradicting the advice I'm getting on here. Just trying to understand what people mean by saying such things.
    I understand that the Pixie Glow is based on Glycolic which is an AHA.
    AHAs (glycolic and lactic acids; for most skins except very sensitive) and BHAs (such as salicylic acid; better on spotty, oily and sensitive types).
    source: https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2013/may/18/exfoliating-toners-sali-hughes-beauty
    • BHA is oil soluble and preferred for normal to oily, clog-prone and bump-prone skin, and enlarged pores, and can clear pores deeply, even those with hard, tiny, white bumps on the cheeks and face. BHA is even suitable for those prone to milia.
    • AHAs and BHA work on skin’s surface; but BHA also works inside the pore lining, where clogs begin.
    • BHA has natural skin-calming properties, which make it preferred for sensitive, redness-prone skin. It's great for sensitive skin, even for those with rosacea.
    source: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skincare-advice/paulas-choice-product-tips/difference-between-AHA-and-BHA-exfoliants.html

Many thanks for all the recommendations and advice so far.

Okay, getting there slowly :(

1. Cleanse
    Either Dermalogica Clay Cleanser or Hot Oil Cleanser.

2. Exfoliate
    ?

3. Mositurise
    Dermalogica Active Moist

Cleanse
    What is the Hot Oil best to use? Is it a laborious process? It seems that you make this mix yourself using Castor Oil and a thinner oil like sunflower seed oil to thin it out a bit. Sounds messy - is it? Gets good reviews though.
    Alternative is to purchase something myself such as a recommended oil or Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser.
    What do I do here?

Exfoliate
    Should I be looking at a BHA instead of an AHA? Apologies - I really don't mean to be contradicting the advice I'm getting on here. Just trying to understand what people mean by saying such things.
    I understand that the Pixie Glow is based on Glycolic which is an AHA.

source: https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2013/may/18/exfoliating-toners-sali-hughes-beauty

source: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skincare-advice/paulas-choice-product-tips/difference-between-AHA-and-BHA-exfoliants.html

Op you're over analysing it tbh, you don't need to know the ins and outs of every skin cleaner and chemical exfoliant when you're not even using a cleanser!

Get an oil cleanser, I think la Roche posay do a good one for oily skin.
    Get the pixie glow toner use it once a week.
    Get a decent moisturiser you could stick with LRP if you want.
    Get an spf.

That's it. You can mess around and change it up when you have the basics done.
    Then you can join the skincare junkies!!

I've no real experience with bha to recommend one, but I'd personally stay away from pixie glow tonic. Get an actual exfoliator that you use once a week. Don't over do it, don't use something much too harsh for your skin. I'd stick to glycolics TBH

I've no real experience with bha to recommend one, but I'd personally stay away from pixie glow tonic. Get an actual exfoliator that you use once a week. Don't over do it, don't use something much too harsh for your skin. I'd stick to glycolics TBH

He's been using physical exfoliants without any success.
    Why don't you like pixie glow?

Edit- nip and fab pads is an alternative to pixie glow then.

Jesus - youse are quick off the mark :D
    I didn't even get time for a ninja edit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends on your skin but also as a guy the only thing that works excellently for me is the Clearasil pads, and although anything with salicylic acid is generally good, nothing works for me like those do....and I tried loads of different products. I use them twice a day and I also stopped using moisturizer because that was just making the problem worse. I find my skin is oily enough without it.

Also make sure you're not just mistaking normal 'full' pores for blackheads. Sometimes people can get a little obsessed and think they're covered in blackheads when in reality it's just normal sebum filled pores.

Everyone's skin is different though so just find something that works for you.

Op you're over analysing it tbh, you don't need to know the ins and outs of every skin cleaner and chemical exfoliant when you're not even using a cleanser!

Get an oil cleanser, I think la Roche posay do a good one for oily skin.
    Get the pixie glow toner use it once a week.
    Get a decent moisturiser you could stick with LRP if you want.
    Get an spf.

That's it. You can mess around and change it up when you have the basics done.
    Then you can join the skincare junkies!!

I like to know what, why and how thing work. I'm an engineer ;)

Is this the cleanser you are talking about:
    http://www.laroche-posay.com.au/products-treatments/Lipikar/Lipikar-Cleansing-Oil-p6934.aspx

There was no moisturiser in that range though - just some type of balm which seems to be somethign different.

PS - did you see the link I edited in which showed how to make your own - does anyone do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Pixie Glow Tonic is amazing for pores. I had little success with the nip and fab pads but immediate success with Pixie Glow.
    You need to build up your use of it though, once or twice a week for the first week, three or four times in the second week and so on. You must use an spf if your are using it in the mornings. In fact you should be using an spf regardless.

Should I be taking beauty advice from someone called hairyprincess?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Should I be taking beauty advice from someone called hairyprincess?

:pac:

Hey, I wax!!

Sometimes :/

I've been using the Pixie Tonic for about a week now. I can see a reduced amount of blakness on the pores on my nose - there is still white stuff in the pores, but there does seem to be an improvement.

I've looked into getting Dermalogica clay cleanser and active moist, but it would seem to cost around €100 for these.

I've taken another look at the LRP range, but I've not got a notion what I require.
    Can anyone help?

Thanks.

I'm not familiar with LRP but I know the pharmacies that sell it tend to be well up on their recommendations so you could ask for testers im sure

Hi Lexie, thanks for the reply. I know nothing about it either other than someone mentioned it above. Have you any recommendations?

I'd personally recommend the original suggestion of dermalogica or the image clear cell cleanser

• Advertisement

Thanks - any recommendations on where to purchase Dermalogica cheaply?
    Does it matter which Image moisturiser I look at?

Advertisement