Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tenant Cant Get Broadband as Contract is Open

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This is akin to asking the LL to deal with your timing belt on your car. The two are completely unrelated. If this is Vigin, the only reason they are refusing to provide service is becuase they don't believe it's a new tenant. Now the LL might be able to assist with that with a letter but it's hardly a requirement, and throwing the toys out of the pram, especially in this market, is ridiculous.

It's nothing like that. A more similar example would be moving into a place to find out the electricity was disconnected and ESB are charging a reconnection fee. In that case the new tenant should not be expected to pay it and neither should the new tenant in this case.
    Gas or Electric I would agree to a point as there is one network deal with this. Also the LL does have some interaction with these between tenants so I kinda see where you're coming from on those. Broadand is potentialy two fixed line networks with a number of mobile options. On one of the fixed line networks (Eir's) one provider couldn't give a toss what someone owes to another.

The OP isn't giving us the whole story here or simply hasn't tried all the options.

In most cases mobile broadband is nowhere near as reliable as a fixed line connection, not to mention there are caps as well. I wouldn't move into a place where my only option is mobile broadband and I know plenty of others who would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's nothing like that. A more similar example would be moving into a place to find out the electricity was disconnected and ESB are charging a reconnection fee. In that case the new tenant should not be expected to pay it and neither should the new tenant in this case.

Broadband is not the same as ESB - as has been explained at least three times by me alone and by others aswell. What are you confused about?
    In most cases mobile broadband is nowhere near as reliable as a fixed line connection, not to mention there are caps as well. I wouldn't move into a place where my only option is mobile broadband and I know plenty of others who would be the same.

And you've no need to as has been explained a number of times. However using mobile broadband is no where near the hassle of using a generator is the point. ESB and Gas are comepletely different to broadband.

It can't really be compared to gas or esb. Both of these have a straight forward and transparent handover procedure from tenant to LL etc. What can a LL do about BB? There is no method for transferring an account, a company will not give a LL the time of day as he is not the customer and the previous tenant can just tell the LL the account is closed with no way from him to check.

Broadband and tv packages are closer to mobile phones, they are tied to a person more than to a location.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It can't really be compared to gas or esb. Both of these have a straight forward and transparent handover procedure from tenant to LL etc. What can a LL do about BB? There is no method for transferring an account, a company will not give a LL the time of day as he is not the customer and the previous tenant can just tell the LL the account is closed with no way from him to check.

Broadband and tv packages are closer to mobile phones, they are tied to a person more than to a location.

It's very easy to change over the name and bank details on a broadband/TV account. The landlord could insist on this being done or receiving proof of cancellation before the tenant moves out. Regardless, you can't expect the new tenant to be waiting weeks/months for broadband or expect them to pay a large cancellation fee.

It's very easy to change over the name and bank details on a broadband/TV account. The landlord could insist on this being done or receiving proof of cancellation before the tenant moves out. Regardless, you can't expect the new tenant to be waiting weeks/months for broadband or expect them to pay a large cancellation fee.

It is impossible to change name and bank details except with magnet. I've personal experience of this with two of the big providers, they won't even entertain the idea.

Again its not as simple as "proof of cancellation" as a lot of people move their account rather than cancel it. The issue here is with the companies, they should allow name and bank details be changed and they should place no hold on an address rather they should chase the person who has the account.

• Advertisement

you can't expect the new tenant to be waiting weeks/months for broadband or expect them to pay a large cancellation fee.

They won't be is the entire point.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If broadband is listed as a feature of the house, and broadband isn't available for reasons beyond the tenants control, can the the tenant break the lease because of this?

the_syco wrote: »
    If broadband is listed as a feature of the house, and broadband isn't available for reasons beyond the tenants control, can the the tenant break the lease because of this?

IMO it would have to be a specific provision in the fixed term lease. If there is no fixed term lease the tenant can leave anyway. However this is such a nonissue given the ubiquity and ease of getting broadband almost everywhere in the country.

If that was the case the OP wouldn't have posted this thread. There are in the exact situation you say won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With an xDSL line they will be. Thats the openEir process.

• Advertisement

If that was the case the OP wouldn't have posted this thread. There are in the exact situation you say won't happen.

There are a number of reasons why the OP might have posted this thread and a number of things I know for a fact they havent tried if they're in this position. I've also explained the reason why a network provider may choose not to take on a customer.

It is simply not the case that a punter won't be able to get broadband from a fixed line provider. There are a few (a smallish number) that won't be able to get good Eir based broadband and so will want to stay with Virgin Media, but again Virgin media won't refuse the business unless they think there is a connection between the previous account holder and the new account holder. I wouldn't want to be on the recieveing end of that Comreg complaint.

The OP would have been set up (or on the way) to being set up by now if they had gone with a different ISP and used the New Tenant Process.

ED E wrote: »
    With an xDSL line they will be. Thats the openEir process.

They simply won't - the OP goes to any of the Eir based providers that aren;t the one the previous tenant dingied and away they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

They simply won't - the OP goes to any of the Eir based providers that aren;t the one the previous tenant dingied and away they go.

Why should they not use Virgin, a far superior service? I know when I was renting, I wouldn't entertain a property without Virgin Media (UPC beforehand) due to the **** show I had with Eir in Donabate and historically as Eircom years ago.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Why should they not use Virgin, a far superior service? I know when I was renting, I wouldn't entertain a property without Virgin Media (UPC beforehand) due to the **** show I had with Eir in Donabate and historically as Eircom years ago.

They should - although it's debatable if they're superior in many cases but they should use who ever is best in a particualr area. However any service provider has a right to refuse service, as long as it's not on the enumerated grounds. We think you're telling porkies and your information matching the previous tenant is not one of those grounds. If it's genuinely a case that the ISP has made a mistake, that's one for the comreg.

None of this prevents a broadband connection completely and none of this is the LL's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Henrys Grimey Paws

Had the exact same situation in a previous property I was renting. It took nearly 6 months to resolve & ultimately was only sorted by sending an official complaint to ComReg & cc'ing Vodafone Customer Support onto the email.

The entire issue was resolved within 2 weeks of that email whereas nothing had been done in the previous 5 & a half months. My advice would be to go to ComReg as soon as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Former telecom worker here: Just go to another provider other than the last one and you'll get sorted.

If they are piggybacking off the Eir line (ie: Sky or Vodafone)they will just take the line over, they won't give a hoot about Eir's old account. Trust me their sales guys will make sure they get a new account to hit their targets/commission. All the tenant has to do is give the address, his name and say there is a line in the house, they'll find it and take it over.

Or, if it's Virgin, they can run their own line in. When they were UPC they did it for me, even drilled holes right through the sitting room wall to the exterior in my rented house to do it, no questions asked.

The LL is not responsible for internet. It is NOT the same as gas or another utility because the LL does not own any of the equipment for receiving it, that equipment belongs to either the provider (lines/modems/boxes) or the tenant (PC, laptop, phone/tablet). It's the same in every country, and it's better for the tenant. Otherwise the LL would choose the provider and plan instead of the person using and paying for it.

And no, you cannot break a lease due to not being able to get internet as this would not be in any lease terms that I've seen in my far too many years of renting. And in this case the tenant absolutely can get it, the company is just being obtuse, of course they will not tell you that another provider can just take the line over, they won't get paid that way. And btw, I believe the old tenant, these companies do this new contract trick all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Henrys Grimey Paws

Former telecom worker here: Just go to another provider other than the last one and you'll get sorted.

If they are piggybacking off the Eir line (ie: Sky or Vodafone)they will just take the line over, they won't give a hoot about Eir's old account. Trust me their sales guys will make sure they get a new account to hit their targets/commission. All the tenant has to do is give the address, his name and say there is a line in the house, they'll find it and take it over.

Or, if it's Virgin, they can run their own line in. When they were UPC they did it for me, even drilled holes right through the sitting room wall to the exterior in my rented house to do it, no questions asked.

The LL is not responsible for internet. It is NOT the same as gas or another utility because the LL does not own any of the equipment for receiving it, that equipment belongs to either the provider (lines/modems/boxes) or the tenant (PC, laptop, phone/tablet). It's the same in every country, and it's better for the tenant. Otherwise the LL would choose the provider and plan instead of the person using and paying for it.

And no, you cannot break a lease due to not being able to get internet as this would not be in any lease terms that I've seen in my far too many years of renting. And in this case the tenant absolutely can get it, the company is just being obtuse, of course they will not tell you that another provider can just take the line over, they won't get paid that way. And btw, I believe the old tenant, these companies do this new contract trick all the time

Not in my experience they didn't, old account was with Vodafone. We tried to get one with Eir and they wouldn't do it, neither would Sky & when we went back to Vodafone they wouldn't either. Once ComReg got involved they got their arse in gear and did something about it.

Edit: Virgin will though as they own their own network, unfortunately they weren't available in our area at the time.

Not in my experience they didn't, old account was with Vodafone. We tried to get one with Eir and they wouldn't do it, neither would Sky & when we went back to Vodafone they wouldn't either. Once ComReg got involved they got their arse in gear and did something about it.

Edit: Virgin will though as they own their own network, unfortunately they weren't available in our area at the time.

What processes did you avail of. Where you trying to move the existing service?

Out of interest did you try

-imagine
    -digiweb
    -magnet
    -pure
    - or anyone else?

Edit: none of that is meant to sound accusatory - most people wouldn't know how to navigate this process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

Ask the Landlord can they help. Its only a quick call for him.

If not Com reg. I'd be raging if a new place I moved into couldn't get UPC.

If the Landlord isn't a complete prick they should help.

Found this in a previous thread from Sky.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057497943

Hi paulh266,

In this situation, we would follow what is called the New Tenant Process.

We would attempt to contact the old tenant on 3 consecutive working days via phone, text & email to confirm that they have left the premises. Once they have confirmed this for us we can then cancel down the service currently on the line and begin the process of getting you(the new tenant) set up. In order to get the new service up and running we will, on occasion, need some information from the landlord or management company before we can process the new phone and broadband order. Overall this process can take a few weeks and is an industry standard practice.

If you could PM Sky Ireland: Reps with account details, a contact number and a suitable time to call you then I would be happy to look after this for you.

Kind Regards,
    William

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The whole problem here is that the supplier is tying up the location! :)

Many locations doesn't have a choice of fixed-line connections.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Why should they not use Virgin, a far superior service?
    While the products is good, the service is awful.
    Jodotman wrote: »
    Ask the Landlord can they help.

If the Landlord isn't a complete prick they should help.
    The OP is the landlord.

• Advertisement
Advertisement