Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish channels not FTA on satellite ?

Options
  • 28-04-2017 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭

It's something I have always wondered

Why are Irish stations not FTA on Satellite like UK ones are ?

Or are they but you need to point your dish in a different direction ?

It would make things so much easier for someone trying to ditch Sky and get all Irish and UK FTA channels i.e only a sat receiver required.

No messing with combo boxes, antennas etc etc.

Is there a simple answer based on the history and evolution of satellite TV services ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ok I may have found the answer in Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saorsat
    Broadcasting the channels unencrypted from the Astra 2 satellites at 28? East was not considered an option due to its large footprint covering the UK, France and many other countries. Irish broadcasters acquire rights on the basis that programming is broadcast to Irish audiences (i.e some 4.5 million people) and not to approx 100 million people within the Astra footprint. The Board of RT? approved the Saorsat approach developed by RT?NL from early 2010 to enable the 1-2% of Irish households not covered by Saorview to access free-to-air digital television services.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ok I may have found the answer in Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saorsat

You should note that not all the channels carried on Saorview are available on Saorsat.
    So a terrestrial aerial is preferred by most.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You should note that not all the channels carried on Saorview are available on Saorsat.
    So a terrestrial aerial is preferred by most.

Yes I'm aware of that

But my question was more of why Irish channels never ended up on the regular FTA satellite like the BBC, ITV did and the hundreds of other FTA channels you get ?

And according to Wikipedia it's a rights thing, i.e they cannot be accessible beyond geographical Ireland.

Is that correct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

/Quote : "my question was more of why Irish channels never ended up on the regular FTA satellite like the BBC, ITV did and the hundreds of other FTA channels you get ? And according to Wikipedia it's a rights thing, i.e they cannot be accessible beyond geographical Ireland. Is that correct?"

Yes, and also that the original agreement between RTE and Sky was structured to allow sky exclusive carriage (subscription based) in exchange for providing RTE with a no cost (to them) satellite distribution option. In hindsight it was not the best decision ever made, but it was back in the early days when most people, thought that satellite tv was a subscription only option and that Sky was the only possible carrier.

We have moved on a lot since then, but the deal still stands - add the distribution rights issue and you can then see why the overly complicated Saorsat service was the only option for an FTA Satellite service from RTE.

When you asked if there was a simple explanation as to why RTE is not freely available on 28.2E, the simple answer is that there isn't - it's an original historical sticking plaster solution that has remained in place, combined with an international distribution rights issue - or more to the point... the costs thereof.

BBC, ITV and CH4 also get UK only rights for various things yet they are transmitted around Europe though. You will even notice the sky frequency of some channels like E4 and Ch4 doesn't transmit some shows which are available on the FTA version of the channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The latest generation of satellites also means that some of the ITV etc channels are now on spot beams which more or less only serve the UK. It's a convenient quirk of geography that the island of Ireland fits inside the UK spot beam.

The latest generation of satellites also means that some of the ITV etc channels are now on spot beams which more or less only serve the UK. It's a convenient quirk of geography that the island of Ireland fits inside the UK spot beam.

Luckily the fact they need to cover NI also will mean Ireland is almost guaranteed to get even narrow beam stuff.

Many UK ex-pats lost their home channels in France and Spain when the new birds flew. Other needed a serious dish upgrade to continue watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

It's something I have always wondered

Why are Irish stations not FTA on Satellite like UK ones are ?

Or are they but you need to point your dish in a different direction ?

It would make things so much easier for someone trying to ditch Sky and get all Irish and UK FTA channels i.e only a sat receiver required.

No messing with combo boxes, antennas etc etc.

Is there a simple answer based on the history and evolution of satellite TV services ?

Asked many times here over the years, this is the answer from then RTÉ CFO Conor Hayes back in 2010 to an Oireachtas Committee
    Mr. Conor Hayes: ...
    Another innovation by RTE is promotion of its satellite option, Saorsat. Some members of the committee will be familiar with the equivalent UK service, Freesat. The BBC, ITV and a number of other companies have put their services on one of the wideband Astra satellites. The services are broadcast unencrypted, or “in the clear” as we call it. The trouble with those wideband satellites is that they have a very big footprint. If RTE were to be put up on a wideband satellite, its services would be in the clear to the UK, France, Holland and many other countries. One might ask why that should not be done, to which I would respond that we do not have the resources to purchase the rights to enable us to broadcast into those countries. We buy programming that allows us to broadcast to 4.5 million people. We do not have the money to broadcast to 100 million people. Therefore, the option taken by the BBC when Freesat was launched is not available to us.
    It [Saorsat] will cost us approximately €1.5 million per year. We can manage it. As other channels come on board, part of the cost will be defrayed. In light of the security this option provides and the ability to supply to the 2% of the population who do not currently receive public service television, the cost can be adequately justified. We might have a different take on the situation were the cost €20 million or €25 million, but the actual amount is appropriate and reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vietnow

Hi.

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post but I am looking for some information.

I have recently resurrected an old sky HD box. The card I am using has long been cancelled. I was expecting to use it to just receive the free to air channels itv, BBC etc. Actually to be honest I am hoping to use it to unlock my free eir sports channels i got when I purchased eir broadband.

But, to my surprise I discovered that the Irish channels were working. Rte one hd, rte 2 hd, etc.

As far as I am aware they should not have worked. My satellite is pointed at 28.2 east and these channels need a subscription?

Anyway, these channels stopped working after a while. I decided to ring sky customer care and ask why they WERE working but are NOT working presently.

The girl I spoke to didn't seem to understand and insisted that the channels were free to air and should be working.

Can anyone here with some knowledge shed some light on the subject for me?

The box I am using is a sky+ HD box with 3d anytime+ written on the front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The Irish channels do not work without an active subscription. They shouldnt have worked at all. They are not FTA.

There must be a card in that box. You can use that to watch the Eir/Bt Channels, but you will have to contact Eir to get it activated (you do not have to be an active subscriber to Sky).

https://subscribe.eirsport.ie/eircustomer

Enter the box details etc to activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vietnow

Thank you for the reply stb.

I am awaiting my eir account activation and then I am going to try that.

I suspected the subscription was necessary. It was just frustrating to be handed a wee surprise gift and then have it taken away. Can't understand why it ever worked? I also can't understand why a sky rep has told me that it was free to air. Surely they should have a little education before being thrown on the end of a helpline. She actually kept asking me what channel I was talking about when I mentioned my satellite was pointed at astra 28.2 east.

vietnow wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply stb.

I am awaiting my eir account activation and then I am going to try that.

I suspected the subscription was necessary. It was just frustrating to be handed a wee surprise gift and then have it taken away. Can't understand why it ever worked? I also can't understand why a sky rep has told me that it was free to air. Surely they should have a little education before being thrown on the end of a helpline. She actually kept asking me what channel I was talking about when I mentioned my satellite was pointed at astra 28.2 east.

The most likely reason it worked for a short time is that the box has remained unplugged since the card was cancelled, so the card itself never got the signal to die. It did so after you used it.

Eir sports will activate on that card without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

vietnow wrote: »
    Can't understand why it ever worked? I also can't understand why a sky rep has told me that it was free to air. Surely they should have a little education before being thrown on the end of a helpline. She actually kept asking me what channel I was talking about when I mentioned my satellite was pointed at astra 28.2 east.
    I'm not trying to be nasty about this but if you're not a Sky subscriber I'm surprised they even talked to you about this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

It would be very easy to put Rte on the sane satellite as the UK channels. Licencing issues could be addressed by encrypting the channels and issuing of decoding cards(like sky) linked to the purchase of a TV licence.

I'm guessing RTE fear that making it too easy to switch between uk and irish channels might cost them market share. That may have been true in the past but I'd say it is costing them market share now. A lot of people use the UK channels and don't bother switching to Saorview unless there is something specify they want to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭decor58

dubrov wrote:
    It would be very easy to put Rte on the sane satellite as the UK channels. Licencing issues could be addressed by encrypting the channels and issuing of decoding cards(like sky) linked to the purchase of a TV licence.

I thought of that some time ago but that would only work if 1) all fta users were using a Sky box, 2) sky were prepared to cooperate, 3) the software was available to sky and non sky receiver's.
    It would make sense of sorts to have all Saorview delivered over satellite even if from different satellites. It would mean 1 receiver, 1 satellite transmission instead of transmitters around the country but then there is the issue of control.

dubrov wrote: »

Easy, sure.
    Costly, certainly.
    Costs of encryption; card creation and issuing and control etc etc. as well as the cost of carriage on the satellite.
    People can now receive the Irish channels with just a €20 aerial and a TV.
    Your suggestion would introduce lots of complications that are unnecessary and unneeded.
    I'm guessing RTE fear that making it too easy to switch between uk and irish channels might cost them market share. That may have been true in the past but I'd say it is costing them market share now. A lot of people use the UK channels and don't bother switching to Saorview unless there is something specify they want to watch.

A lot of people also do not use Sky STBs for FTA TV and are not confined to Sky's version of a default channel list without a subscription. (That Sky box is ridiculously bad for FTA use)
    Most I know who have the choice put the Irish channels at the top of their channel listing.

You don't need a sky box to use a decoder card. Almost all generic satellite receivers can handle it.

Sky don't need to be involved at all but could be provided with the deception keys providing they were willing to make a contribution towards them (maybe build the licence fee into their subscription fee).

Id say RTE have missed the boat on this by about 15 years. IPTV will take over in the next 5 years or so at which point they will probably become irrelevant

You don't need a sky box to use a decoder card. Almost all generic satellite receivers can handle it.

Sky don't need to be involved at all but could be provided with the deception keys providing they were willing to make a contribution towards them (maybe build the licence fee into their subscription fee).

Id say RTE have missed the boat on this by about 15 years. IPTV will take over in the next 5 years or so at which point they will probably become irrelevant

Even better ...... we don't need a decoder card at all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

IPTV will take over in the next 5 years or so at which point they will probably become irrelevant

Why do Sky bother with SkyQ and Freesat bother at all if they will be irrelevant in 5 years. I hope they read your post so that they stop investing.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote:
    Why do Sky bother with SkyQ and Freesat bother at all if they will be irrelevant in 5 years. I hope they read your post so that they stop investing.

Eh all the on-demand stuff with Sky and Freesat is already over the internet. Sky also have NowTV which provides sky channels via iptv.

So Sky are ready but the market will be more open so can't see them maintaining the same market share or charging what they do now for mostly free channels

Eh all the on-demand stuff with Sky and Freesat is already over the internet. Sky also have NowTV which provides sky channels via iptv.

So Sky are ready but the market will be more open so can't see them maintaining the same market share or charging what they do now for mostly free channels

Nobody was on about on demand. In 5 years iptv will take over and satellite TV will be irrelevant was the claim. Realistically you know that's bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

It wouldn't actually.

Why would RTE put themselves in the hands of Sky. For a start its not RTE's decision, its the decision of the Communications Minister. The state broadcast service will never be in the control of another organization, especially a foreign one.

TP space on 28.2 is dear. Its not noticeable when Sky have to pay for it. That's made available to them under the must offer rule. Its cost neutral the last time I checked, but its content that Sky should really be paying for.

Market share. People don't switch from the Uk Channels argument. If that were true RTE wouldn't have the largest market share (by a long way).

Satellite is not a stand alone replacement for the national Tv service. Complimentary yes.

In fairness no one knows. In demand and live tv are merging. Even with Sky you flick to a Sky movie channel and it offers to restart the film. Channel going is dying out.

The technology and infrastructure are already here for iptv. I can see it taking over soon. Maybe 5 years is too short an estimate but i can't see why anyone would bother with satellite once they can get everything they need on iptv

STB. wrote:
    Why would RTE put themselves in the hands of Sky. For a start its not RTE's decision, its the decision of the Communications Minister. The state broadcast service will never be in the control of another organization, especially a foreign one.

I could be corrected but I don't think Sky own the satellite. They are also paying for carraige of their encrypted channels.

I'd say it is not cheap but neither is the Saorsat satellite equivalent dedicated to Ireland only

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In fairness no one knows. In demand and live tv are merging. Even with Sky you flick to a Sky movie channel Ann's it offers to restart the film. Channel going is dying out.

The technology and infrastructure are already here for iptv. I can see it taking over soon. Maybe 5 years is too short an estimate but i can't see why anyone would bother with satellite once they can get everything they need on iptv

I'd say that in 5 years TV as we know it will be gone. The idea of having to sit down at a specific time to watch a program is coming to an end, which is why they are adding non TVs to the TV licence.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'd say that in 5 years TV as we know it will be gone. The idea of having to sit down at a specific time to watch a program is coming to an end, which is why they are adding non TVs to the TV licence.
    And doing away with TV spectrum so people can watch HD? on their 5" screens instead :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

And doing away with TV spectrum so people can watch HD? on their 5" screens instead :eek:

Nah, it's 4k on 5" screens now.

Deedsie wrote: »
    You would want to be fairly confident about the quality of your broadband etc

And that is why IPTV isn't going to be the norm for a long time yet.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    And that is why IPTV isn't going to be the norm for a long time yet.

Even with decent broadband you would get hit with the cap/FUP that we see presently.

In any case I do not want to change to IPTV .... the Satellite is much better IMO.

What broadband would be needed for 5 people in the household watching HD TV? ...... none if you have a Satellite :D

Advertisement