Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place/Price to Buy Maternity Pads?

Options
  • 28-04-2017 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hello all! This is my second pregnancy and this time around I will be smarter and stock up on maternity pads. Last time I thought I had enough with four packets from the local pharmacy only to be proven wrong! And then also the fact that pharmacies tend to only have 2-4 packets in stock at any time around D2/D8!
    So I bought the only two my local pharmacy had for 3.95 Euros. I thought there were cheaper last time. 
    Any suggestion where to buy them in bulk AND for cheaper as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

sareer wrote: »
    Hello all! This is my second pregnancy and this time around I will be smarter and stock up on maternity pads. Last time I thought I had enough with four packets from the local pharmacy only to be proven wrong! And then also the fact that pharmacies tend to only have 2-4 packets in stock at any time around D2/D8!
    So I bought the only two my local pharmacy had for 3.95 Euros. I thought there were cheaper last time. 
    Any suggestion where to buy them in bulk AND for cheaper as well?

I bought some in Tesco recently, I can't remember how much they were, but they were nowhere near €3.95! I'm pretty sure I used Tesco ones last time, and they were perfect! I must go and buy some more actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Look online at Boots, they do a 3 for 2 boots-branded maternity article offer!
    I found the slim pads for a few days after birth really really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Second vote here for Tesco own brand, if I remember there are about €2 for a pack. I used them after both my pregnancies with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I bought lots in the 3 for 2 offer with Boots then the hospital advised not to use them as they have plastic backing and don't allow for air flow which can cause infection. In the end, I spent a fortune buying them in the hospital! Just bear that in mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Consider disposable underwear as an alternative. I used both and the disposable underwear is a thousand times more comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

How many pads do you need? How long does the bleeding/ discharge last? (I am 10.4 weeks pregnant so am trying to learn as much as possible!).

Consider disposable underwear as an alternative. I used both and the disposable underwear is a thousand times more comfortable.

I know in the first week or so after I gave birth, disposable undies wouldn't have been sufficient. I found them awful uncomfortable anyhow.

How many pads do you need? How long does the bleeding/ discharge last? (I am 10.4 weeks pregnant so am trying to learn as much as possible!).

I suppose it varies from person to person, I can't actually remember really, I remember the first time buying one pack for the hospital, and quickly realising it wasn't sufficient! On my second, I put maybe two packs in my bag, and had extra bought and left at home so I could call for more supplies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I think I bought 3 of the boots ones for the time immediately after birth and 3 packs of the ultra slim ones, didn't finish them before switching to panty liners.
    The first 3 - 4 days afterwards the bleeding is like the first 2 days of your period but it clears up a good bit after that, after 2 weeks it's usually pretty light. When you have a C-Section it clears up a bit earlier.

I also got two 4-packs of the high waisted briefs at Penneys one size bigger than my size during pregnancy just for the flow. They literally saved me, you can just toss them afterwards if they're heavily stained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Yes, remember not to buy the sticky or plastic backed ones as there's increased risk of infection.

I got through loads. In the first couple of days in hospital, I was wearing two at a time of the mama range ones, and needed to change them every couple of hours. I also went through them at a rate of knots when my water broke (who knew that you get gushes for hours on end - it's always just one big swoop in the movies!). Then from around day 4 or so, it was like a really heavy period.

I switched to normal sanitary towels after about two weeks. Bleeding eventually stopped at 3.5 weeks.

Obviously everybody is different, but that was my experience.

And I can't recommend highly enough getting around 10 pairs of big black comfy knickers. Your normal knickers won't be big enough to hold the pads, and you'll love the comfort of granny pants after all you've been through! Just don't get white ones.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Everyone is different. I had to use 2 (at a time) of the big green hospital ones for the first 2 weeks. I wish someone had warned me in advance because I never thought it would be that heavy!
    They cost 3 quid a pack I went through loads. Wish I bought in bulk in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I found the ones you buy in chemist very good. I was given free packs from domino midwives no idea how much they cost......they aren't sticky ;)

I think it is really personal preference though!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

A friend advised me to use the Medicare (i think - green pack, in chemist, HUGE!) ones two at a time for the first few days. Followed her advice after both deliveries and have to agree. It basically gives you your own portable cushion!! It helped me to remember to sit carefully which was important as I had stitches. Massive knickers essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

A friend advised me to use the Medicare (i think - green pack, in chemist, HUGE!) ones two at a time for the first few days. Followed her advice after both deliveries and have to agree. It basically gives you your own portable cushion!! It helped me to remember to sit carefully which was important as I had stitches. Massive knickers essential.

Same here. They were the ones the hospital use and seemed to be the best.

I also highly recommend witch hazel gel, stored in the fridge, and you put a little bit on a clean pad before you pop it in your knickers. Such relief for the poor area after all it's just been through. Heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

I bled quite heavily for about 4 weeks after my first and didn't stop completely for another 3 weeks so it really can vary a lot so definitely get more than 2 packs and another one to song praises for comfy Knicks, I just got a couple of packs of cheap granny ones that could just be dumped after a use. Another tip I got and now swear by is to have a squirt bottle for water. Like one you get in the toiletry pack of small bottles. Keep topped up with cold water, really great for first day or two if you've had stitches for when you need the bathroom, just squirt as you go (excuse the expression) as it can sting for a day or so and the cool water will help down there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Plus 1 for the Tesco own brand ones. I used the Medicare ones (green ones) for the first week then switched. They were grand.
    Stock up on arnica tablets too,they reduce any swelling or bruising.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

LirW wrote: »
    I think I bought 3 of the boots ones for the time immediately after birth and 3 packs of the ultra slim ones, didn't finish them before switching to panty liners.
    The first 3 - 4 days afterwards the bleeding is like the first 2 days of your period but it clears up a good bit after that, after 2 weeks it's usually pretty light. When you have a C-Section it clears up a bit earlier.

I also got two 4-packs of the high waisted briefs at Penneys one size bigger than my size during pregnancy just for the flow. They literally saved me, you can just toss them afterwards if they're heavily stained.

Yeah I bought the maternity pads from boots found them very good. Everyone is different but I think the bleeding can be a bit longer if your have e a c section it can take longer for your uterus to contract as it hasn't gone through natural labour. I had a c section and bled for nearly six weeks though very light the last two weeks. I definitely second the large briefs from Penney's much needed. I had bought disposal under wear found them useless and scratchy must uncomfortable things ever had to send my husband to get but granny knickers for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

Thank you for the replies. I used Medicare ones only last time as I had stitches and they were very comfortable (and I was in no mood to experiment!) for the four or five weeks of bleeding. I will check the Tesco ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

I also found I can order them online for 2.99 euros a packet at pregnancy and baby dot com (they offer a ten percent discount when signing up which roughly covers shipping). Eight more packets coming my way now :) NO WAY I will be walking from pharmacy to pharmacy while in pain from stitches!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I found the green ones awful, very scratchy and not good if you have stitches. I used Tena lady night pads instead while it was heavy, they wear super cushioned too. After a week or so I moved to normal pads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

sareer wrote: »
    I also found I can order them online for 2.99 euros a packet at pregnancy and baby dot com (they offer a ten percent discount when signing up which roughly covers shipping). Eight more packets coming my way now :) NO WAY I will be walking from pharmacy to pharmacy while in pain from stitches!!!

Thanks a mill Sareer! Ordered 5 packs and got the ardo calypso with the 10% off so got the pads for free. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I had a c section and found the boots ones were very comfy, although I didnt have very heavy bleeding for more than 3 days so just went onto normal st's after that.

Advertisement