Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ants in Compost Heap

Options
  • 28-04-2017 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

My compost heap is infested with ants. What should I do? Can I use the compost or put any powder into it. Any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You can treat them with nematodes but I'd just leave them alone unless you have a major aphid problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭lilydonoghue

they built an amazing little city in my compost ben which we only realised when we lifted the bin. AFAIK they wont harm anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I thought it strange that they are in compost. I have been researching how to get rid of ants from my polytunnel and have found out that they are discouraged by moist conditions and an abundance of organic material. Perhaps your compost is too dry?

Advertisement