Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Amazing 12 - My experience

• 28-04-2017 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Alright so here it is...

Like many people around here, I heard about The Amazing 12 through Facebook and had a look into it. At first glance, the price seemed a little steep and off-putting... But those Facebook pictures stuck in my head; the Before and Afters. I was in pretty decent shape. Well, not really... but I was strong and that had always been the goal so I was happy enough. But in recent times, particularly having turned 30, I've been thinking that I should really get in shape. So I ate reasonably well and trained hard and pretty much nothing happened. I was hovering around the 77kg mark (at roughly 5 foot 7) and, after a few weeks of clean eating and hard training, I was stuck at around 76.5kg.

So, I went back and looked at A12. The price per session looked really reasonable but the initial outlay still seemed really high... So I went back to training hard and eating well. A few more weeks, still stuck at around 76.5kg. So then I just bit the bullet and sent the e-mail. Got a call back from them to arrange an appointment and in I went after work one day. I met with Sean, one of the owners and we had a good chat about where I was at, what I wanted and so on. I knew I was probably going in to a sales pitch but tbh, going in, I was kind of already sold. Despite that, there actually wasn't a hard sell; it was more a "Is what you need compatible with what we offer?" type of a chat. Turns out, they did. So I signed up there and then. Tbh, what I really needed was to just commit to it. I knew I wanted to do it but I was held back by the fear that I wouldn't be able for what I'd read was an intense programme. Once I signed up, the fear went away and the focusing began.

A12 seemed pretty unique in that there was a pre-session where I met everyone else who would be on the programme and we were given a run-down of what the 12 weeks would look like, what we'd be given as part of it etc. so that was pretty cool. Also, between the time I signed up and the time the programme actually started, I was given free membership to the gym, which was great.

Anyway, on to the actual programme. It was tough. It was intense. It was a big commitment. It was training and nutrition - the basics. But it was tough. The coaches were really open about what to expect. It basically boiled down to "Do the programme, get the results. Half ass it, get half the results." One of the questions someone asked was "Can I still drink alcohol?" to which the answer was basically "Do whatever the fcuk you want, I'm not your mother. But every drink you have will negatively affect the results you get from the programme." The honesty was refreshing. People made their choices and it was theirs to own!

When the training began, I realised just how out of shape I was. Not gonna lie, there was vomit the first day. I found out that eating before a.m. training was not for me. That was the other thing; I chose to train at 6:30am. Believe me, the first week of these early mornings were tough but I'll never go back to training after work. Early morning training is the best.

The classes usually had about 6-7 people in them and, as you could guess, were focused around the compound lifts, with some assistance exercises and conditioning blocks. Obviously, I'm not really gonna go into the actual breakdown of the sessions but suffice it to say that for the hour you were there, you worked, you hurt and you sweated. For the first few sessions, it was really hard. After that it was really hard but manageable and rewarding.

At the end of the first week, I had my first cheat meal; a pizza (14inch from Four Star) on the Sunday night. It was unreal. Monday morning came around and I felt like shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Which meant the nutrition plan they'd given me was already working. Every week, I looked forward to that Sunday night cheat meal and every Monday morning, I felt awful after overindulging. So after a few weeks, I stopped over indulging. Had a smaller pizza or a little less chocolate for my cheat meal.

I started to notice results on the scales after the first day. I'd started at 77.2kg and by day 3 or so, I was just under 77kg. By the end of week 2, there were obvious differences in the mirror. Week 4 went by and I was really looking different and getting compliments in work. I should say, the coaches warned that people moved at different paces through the programme and some would see results faster/slower than others.

By week 6, the group I was training with was like a team. I loved getting up at 5:45am cos I knew I'd get to train with some fun people. By week 8, I was happy with the reflection in the mirror, which was the goal. By week 10, my goal of losing 7kg was done. Two weeks left and I had achieved my goals. By this point, I had thought at 3 separate junctures that I had achieved the best results possible and all 3 times, I was wrong.

In the end, I surpassed my own hopes and expectations. I had no idea how much I could actually do. But it didn't come easy. I had some tricks up my sleeve that I used to get me through it. As follows:

1. Training was hard. Five days a week, an hour a day, very intense. My hack: I turned off my brain and did exactly what I was told. They told me to go heavier, I went heavier. They told me to go lighter, I went lighter. Brain off and do as you're told.

2. Nutrition was hard. Training was 5 hours a week but diet was 24/7, with the exception of one cheat meal. My hack: I turned off my brain and did exactly what I was told. I can tell you exactly how many times I ate someone that wasn't on the plan. Four. Four times in 12 weeks, I diverged from the nutrition plan. On four separate occasions, I had a chewing gum. Yes, that's how strict I was on myself. I counted the amount of times I had chewing gum. Very few people would be this insanely strict but I know my patterns and if I was any less strict, I'd have broken completely.

3. The schedule was tough. Training 5 days a week for 12 weeks is almost unrealistic. Most people aimed for 90%. My hack: I turned off my brain and did exactly what I was told. I hit 60 out of 60 sessions. Most of the time, I drove but, on Wednesdays, I didn't have the car. So this meant getting up at 5:30, getting a Dublin Bike to a bus stop and then walking the rest of the way to get there by 6:30am. Thankfully, as the programme went on and I made friends, I managed to get a lift for the last 3 Wednesdays!

4. Other people. Most people were really supportive of my endeavour. But some people just want you to fail, for whatever reason. There's always some prick waving a donut in your face or trying to mock your efforts. My hack: Well, for the most part, I didn't tell people what I was doing. Couldn't hide it in work cos I went straight from the gym to work in the mornings but, as much as possible, I tried to avoid talking to much to people who tried to tear me down. I don't need that shit.

So that was that. In the end, I was delighted with the results. After having gone through it, I feel stupid for ever questioning myself about whether or not I should or could. It's the best thing I've done in years and I'll be staying on in the gym for the foreseeable. It's a great place and I've learned a huge amount about training, nutrition, my own limitations and my own potential.

So here it is, 12 weeks later, 10.1kg down on the scales, weighing in at 67.1kg. Thanks for reading!

18010592_10154577168865875_234994138075252430_n.jpg?oh=1064e500f9899b133f6afa503d3cf5da&oe=5975D626

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Amazing well done mate. What were the sessions like and what sort of things were ye doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

FTA69 wrote: »
    Amazing well done mate. What were the sessions like and what sort of things were ye doing?

Sessions were all go. Ten minute warm-up then non-stop til the end. All based around the compounds, with very little in the way of isolation work and usually a conditioning block at the end. Very little flair to it, mostly pretty straightforward linear progression stuff. Tried and tested stuff but if you slacked or half-repped, you were called out straight away. A lot of accountability. In the first few weeks, the conditioning ruined me, I was so out of shape. By the end, the difference was huge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Is that with Sean in Impact in Blackrock? Was it expensive if you don't mind me asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

We allowed just post advertisements now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

It's a good write up. I didn't feel like I was reading an ad, rather someone's positive experience on a program.

Assume it would've been ok if it was negative experience?

Price-wise it does seem steep at first, but when you break it down it is good value.

I'm sure you could put something like this together yourself? Of course you won't have the accountability etc.

NW: Presumably this kind of training was different to what you normally do, will you continue with the program type training on your own now?

• Advertisement

RockSalto wrote: »
    It's a good write up. I didn't feel like I was reading an ad, rather someone's positive experience on a program.

A program that's not available for free. What's the point? It's not like smolov jr and GOMAD, I can't just google it. Can posters start writing their experiences for online coaches as well?

People have been banned for posting about their own stuff but it's alright if they someone else posts about it? I don't get the double standard and Amazing 12 has been posted about plenty of times on here already so I don't see the point in having another thread on it when there's literally nothing of value anyone can draw from it unless they fork over and ass load of cash.

eire1 wrote: »
    Is that with Sean in Impact in Blackrock? Was it expensive if you don't mind me asking.

Yes indeed, great coach! It was €1500.
    jive wrote: »

Problem? Report it. I have literally nothing to gain from posting this but others may gain from reading it.

Price-wise it does seem steep at first, but when you break it down it is good value.

I'm sure you could put something like this together yourself? Of course you won't have the accountability etc.

NW: Presumably this kind of training was different to what you normally do, will you continue with the program type training on your own now?

Yes and no. There were very few things in it that I'd never done (outside of conditioning stuff, which I've always avoided cos I'm lazy) but it was a lot more structured than most of my previous training, which has been solo. The accountability was one of the most important aspects of the program for me. If I wasn't being watched there's no way I'd have trained even half as hard as I did.

I'm going on holidays for 2 weeks in a few days so I'll see out the rest of May in Flyefit but from June, I'll be joining Impact as a normal member. Training in a class before work every morning eliminates all the things that hold me back, like laziness, not holding myself accountable, trying to program myself etc. so I think that's the best way forward for me. I used to train in RevFit before it moved to glasnevin and I was similarly happy there; I just need someone to take the thinking out of it for me.

Problem? Report it. I have literally nothing to gain from posting this but others may gain from reading it.

Moderator already thanked it so there's no point. Nobody will gain from reading this because it's an advert for a €1500 program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

It might be considered an "advertisement" if he had a stake in something or had anything whatsoever to gain. He clearly doesn't.

It looks like he worked his arse off on a regime that worked for him, got fantastic results, and he understandably wants to talk about it

Moderator already thanked it so there's no point. Nobody will gain from reading this because it's an advert for a ?1500 program.

I found it interesting to see the difference in twelve weeks.
    There are two other mods who may well disagree with me and agree with you.
    Please report your concerns and leave it there

• Advertisement

Moderator already thanked it so there's no point. Nobody will gain from reading this because it's an advert for a €1500 program.

By your definition, recommending a gig, clothing brand, book, theatre performance are all, by the same token, advertisements. We're only allowed talk about stuff you can get for free? Bollocks.

Edit: in light of this:
    bluewolf wrote: »

I'll stop responding to that line of conversation.

bluewolf wrote: »

Only 1 pic appearing for me here?

It's been discussed to death on here before anyway, NW mentioned what good value it was back then too.

I've said my piece so I'll leave it there.

I just need someone to take the thinking out of it for me.

I'd be the exact same in this regard! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Jesus man you look like a nervous wreck.....

ive waited so long to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A program that's not available for free. What's the point? It's not like smolov jr and GOMAD, I can't just google it. Can posters start writing their experiences for online coaches as well?
    Posters review gyms, competitions, products, equipment, etc all the time. None of those are free either.
    People have been banned for posting about their own stuff but it's alright if they someone else posts about it? I don't get the double standard
    The difference is whether there's a financial incentive for the poster. Site wide rule afaik.
    That's why Hanley was banned for posting about his own stuff (unfairly too I should add). But his review of the Crossfit course was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

do you have a before pic?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    do you have a before pic?

I don't have them at the moment; waiting on a side by side. I've seen them though. They made me sad... :pac: I'll post em when I get em!

Was the main body of the training (between warm up and conditioning) typical 3x5 type strength training. Or was it more higher rep, higher tempo focusing on output rather than strength. Actually how did you strength level handle the 12 weeks. Obviously relative strength is probably great. I'd imagine its hard to keep absolute numbers up with 10kg of mass missing.

As for the diet, was it prescribed in terms of protein/fat/carbs for each mean. Or did it outline specific foods like chicken/beef/rice/avocado etc

Just to add to the above, given you were training 5 days in a row, did you still focus on full body with an emphasis on a single body part, or was it a spilt?

Mellor wrote: »
    Was the main body of the training (between warm up and conditioning) typical 3x5 type strength training. Or was it more higher rep, higher tempo focusing on output rather than strength. Actually how did you strength level handle the 12 weeks. Obviously relative strength is probably great. I'd imagine its hard to keep absolute numbers up with 10kg of mass missing.

As for the diet, was it prescribed in terms of protein/fat/carbs for each mean. Or did it outline specific foods like chicken/beef/rice/avocado etc

High rep/tempo work so not a huge strength focus. That said, while I didn't test before or after, given the numbers, I would say I'm relatively stronger now than before and most likely objectively stronger too - not objectively stronger than my all time numbers but stronger than where I was 14 weeks ago.

Diet was prescribed macros only, with suggestions as to what fit the groupings etc. No calorie counting or anything, which I was grateful for.

• Advertisement

Just to add to the above, given you were training 5 days in a row, did you still focus on full body with an emphasis on a single body part, or was it a spilt?

There was always *something* full body but the main focus would be either upper or lower. The other part would be part of a circuit or something towards the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Someone said it was a €1500 programme?.. That's some wad of cash to payout, but you look great and since you're posting up a photo I'd say you're very happy with the money spent.

But daaaamn, €1500!.

How much would it cost in Dublin for 3 months access to small S&C gym
    Plus 2 weekly PT sessions?

I'm aware that the above is 5 sessions/per week. But I doubt many are doing 5 PT sessions a week. (If they are, money likely isn't a factor).

Someone said it was a €1500 programme?.. That's some wad of cash to payout, but you look great and since you're posting up a photo I'd say you're very happy with the money spent.

But daaaamn, €1500!.

Yeah, it's a big chunk of cash but I figured it worked out at €25/session, which seemed reasonable and I was happy enough to pay more for the quick turnaround. What tipped my decision was the early-bird sign up offer (€150 off) coupled with an unexpected windfall of about €850 at just the opportune time so it felt like I was only paying €500..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think the big thing is the accountability that comes with training in a coached / group environment. That costs money, and is well worth it. The extra miles involved in the nutrition and number of focussed sessions in the amazing 12 costs extra, but is also well worth it.

The mindset of 'any fitness related spend of over 30E a month is a scam' is impossible to breakthrough for many. But those willing to invest financially and psychologically have rarely been disappointed from what I've seen.

Fair play to you, and great write up.

What would Hanley say.....what would Hanley say indeed....

dashoonage wrote: »
    What would Hanley say.....what would Hanley say indeed....

I believe his exact words were "You look great!" but I'm not sure the relevance...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I believe his exact words were "You look great!" but I'm not sure the relevance...?

I could be wrong but didn't Hanley do this amazing 12 himself?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but didn't Hanley do this amazing 12 himself?

He did. He thought it was great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thanks for shring! Was there a mix of male / female or was it mainly male?

Thanks for shring! Was there a mix of male / female or was it mainly male?

Probably about 80% male, I'd say but there was no difference in the programming. Everyone was on equal footing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

impressive, any before pic?

zweton wrote: »
    impressive, any before pic?

Just got it today but boards won't let me attach the file type. I'll figure it out and post it tomorrow!

Sorry about the size.

Before/After
    18222667_10154604329225875_8226975672970271880_n.jpg?oh=c82b0528c3607b79d0c463d45d6f878f&oe=59BAC6A3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Sorry about the size.

Before/After
    18222667_10154604329225875_8226975672970271880_n.jpg?oh=c82b0528c3607b79d0c463d45d6f878f&oe=59BAC6A3

great work. I'd say the waxing was the hardest part :)

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    great work. I'd say the waxing was the hardest part :)

Veet For Men - hair removal cream. Thank fcuk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

fair play dude

Presumably you ate a lot more grub than before?

Edit: changed 'are' to 'ate'.

Stupid fat fingers. :)

I don't know what that means...

I think it's asking about what your intake was

• Advertisement

He wants to know are you on all the foods!!!!

Ate. Not are. :)

Oh, ha! In general, I eat more now since the A12 than I ever did before. 5 meals a day (3 solid, 2 liquid). Some days are less but, overall, more food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That's a great result. It still pisses me off that they use such deceptive photo techniques though.

Before:
    - Flat lighting, washed out colour, glasses, hairy, look miserable.
    After:
    - Highly angular lighting, strong colour, no glasses, waxed, smile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Oh, ha! In general, I eat more now since the A12 than I ever did before. 5 meals a day (3 solid, 2 liquid). Some days are less but, overall, more food!

How did you manage to lose 10kg of body weight while increasing your calorie intake? Your overall intake must have decreased somewhat in order for you to loose weight. Surely?

DylanJM wrote: »
    How did you manage to lose 10kg of body weight while increasing your calorie intake? Your overall intake must have decreased somewhat in order for you to loose weight. Surely?

Increased my food intake, not calories. Cleaner foods, fewer calories. I used to eat less but crap foods etc.

Part of this is assumption on my part cos, as I said, there was no calorie counting. But for 3-4 days out of the week, I was absolutely stuffed!

Increased my food intake, not calories. Cleaner foods, fewer calories. I used to eat less but crap foods etc.

Part of this is assumption on my part cos, as I said, there was no calorie counting. But for 3-4 days out of the week, I was absolutely stuffed!

Did you not get macro guides or anything (and counting macros is the same as calorie counting really).?

Did you not get macro guides or anything (and counting macros is the same as calorie counting really).?

Yep, macro guides. I wouldn't say it's the same thing, though the result sure works out the same when applied correctly.

Yep, macro guides. I wouldn't say it's the same thing, though the result sure works out the same when applied correctly.

Oh great - good to know, thanks!

(and not to go off topic but I would see them as the same really, except with macros you only count every 4th calorie or every 9th calorie :P:D)

Did you bring your own lunch to work each day? I'd imagine it's difficult to keep that up everyday for 3 months?? Or had you always done it?

I usually bring mine in but Only 3 or 4 times a week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement