Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Amazing 12 - My experience

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

RockSalto wrote: »
    Did you bring your own lunch to work each day? I'd imagine it's difficult to keep that up everyday for 3 months?? Or had you always done it?

I usually bring mine in but Only 3 or 4 times a week.

I did. I generally bring my lunch most of the time but 12 straight weeks was tough enough. It was just one of those things that felt like a drain. But I only had to cook once a day. In the evenings, I'd cook my dinner and the following day's breakfast and lunch. Food prep was about an hour a day, which isn't so bad. Usually just stuck my headphones on and listened to a podcast so I learned some cool stuff while I cooked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Good man.

It's tough sometimes after work to be motivated to cook.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Well done great results!

This is not a loaded question.

Do you think you learned anything you didnt already know? e.g train like a svage and eat your vegetables.

Do you think the buy in, training as a group and knowing you had to take a topless photo after 12 weeks helped.

Do you think you could have had similar results alone if you somehow found the motivation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Lunch doesn't have to be cooked food, though, keep in mind. I frequently just throw a bunch of raw ingredients into tupperware and call it lunch. Bread, cheese, chopped veg, fruit, nuts; easy.

conzy wrote: »
    Well done great results!

This is not a loaded question.

Do you think you learned anything you didnt already know? e.g train like a svage and eat your vegetables.

Do you think the buy in, training as a group and knowing you had to take a topless photo after 12 weeks helped.

Do you think you could have had similar results alone if you somehow found the motivation

I don't think I'd have known how, nutritionally, to structure my eating to get these results, particularly without starving myself. I also don't think, even knowing what I knew about training, I could have done it myself. My focus would be too changeable etc and I'd have been trying a million different things to get abs etc (incidentally, there wasn't a single ab-isolated workout in the whole thing).

Tbh, I've a loose enough relationship with money so the €cost didn't mean much to me. I'm by no means rolling in it but I'm able to pay my rent every month so anything after that, I figure whatever.

The group training was HUGE to me. I hit every rep cos I wanted to be the one who hit every rep. Ditto for going to every session. I didn't want to just get the best results for myself, I wanted to get the best results out of anyone on the program (no idea if I did or didn't btw, but aiming for it was the important part). So yeah for me, the competitive thing pushed me farther than I otherwise would have gone; that'll differ person to person.

Every day, I wrote down exactly what I did at that mornings session (and my weight that morning) so I have the program now. If I want to run it again in my own time, I can do that. But I'll probably be more likely to pay to do it again. Accountability is the motivator for me!

Zillah wrote: »
    Lunch doesn't have to be cooked food, though, keep in mind. I frequently just throw a bunch of raw ingredients into tupperware and call it lunch. Bread, cheese, chopped veg, fruit, nuts; easy.

When you're not allowed eat half those things on a given day, it's not quite that easy.

When you're not allowed eat half those things on a given day, it's not quite that easy.

Stuff a bag with lettuce if you need to! The point being: there are plenty of foods that are healthy and delicious raw.
    I'd have been trying a million different things to get abs etc (incidentally, there wasn't a single ab-isolated workout in the whole thing).

Fascinating. So all the ab development was from, say, squats and deadlifts? You didn't do any crunches, leg raises, etc?

None of that. Essentially everything we did came with the command "squeeze your abs ", whether it was squats or inverted rows, curls or incline Bench. After a while, using abs for *everything* became the norm, but there was nothing that was *just* for abs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

They need to update their website and FB page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not surprised there was no ab work. The results are down to getting lean. I'd imagine all big liftsburn a lot more energy than ab work.

Ab work is for strong ab. I don't think there's as much scope for putting mass on them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I can get you a gig modelling jocks on O'Moore St, NW.

Naturally, I'll be getting 20% and the bag of bananas but you know what they say, out of little acorns...

So to speak.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not surprised there was no ab work. The results are down to getting lean. I'd imagine all big liftsburn a lot more energy than ab work.

Ab work is for strong ab. I don't think there's as much scope for putting mass on them though.

I've gotten crazy lean before and my stomach is just flat, very little visible definition between the muscle sections. They definitely need some work. Maybe there is a genetic component in terms of how pronounced your abdominals can get, I don't know. I'll certainly try and focus on engaging my core more during big lifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Zillah wrote:
    I've gotten crazy lean before and my stomach is just flat, very little visible definition between the muscle sections. They definitely need some work. Maybe there is a genetic component in terms of how pronounced your abdominals can get, I don't know. I'll certainly try and focus on engaging my core more during big lifts.

Same. I don't think compounds do it enough at all. But I'm also too lazy for an work. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

How could heavy Squats, presses and Deads not build out your core, particularly for people who have lifted for a while and presumably built up their capability on same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

[
    It's not that you can't add mass to abs. It's just that it's proportionally less than you can add to other muscle groups.
    Plus when you take the max lean mass you can add in a year, the subset that you can add to abs isn't a lot.

How lean is crazy lean? 12%? 8%?
    Different people will expose their abs at different levels of leanness.
    I'd have thought that as long as they were there, you could expose them if you were lean enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

[
    It's not that you can't add mass to abs. It's just that it's proportionally less than you can add to other muscle groups.
    Plus when you take the max lean mass you can add in a year, the subset that you can add to abs isn't a lot.

I'd have thought that as long as they were there, you could expose them if you were lean enough.

Agreed. I spend a lot of time at a gymnastics club, not in a creepy way, and I've seen plenty of super lean kids with prominent six packs. They haven't exactly piled on the muscle, but the leanness means the muscle there is very well defined.

My own 6 year old son has a quality 6 pack on the go.

Conversely I have a very very strong core, and I assume well built in muscle mass, but it's hidden under my jolliness.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    How could heavy Squats, presses and Deads not build out your core, particularly for people who have lifted for a while and presumably built up their capability on same.

Beats me man but I got pretty lean with what I'd consider alright lift numbers and just had the outline happening. No clear six pack at all. This was 9.5% bodyfat by calipers.

Well, crazy lean might be a slight exaggeration, but I've been 9/10%. I've a very strong core, that's not the issue, and I can see that I've added mass to the area, but they just don't pop out individually; they seem to grow as a unit.

abhancer.jpg

Pull tight and see dem abs pop.

That's the only way I'm getting abs

• Advertisement

But...why would you want abs that you have to hide under clothes? Schrodinger's Six Pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Well, crazy lean might be a slight exaggeration, but I've been 9/10%. I've a very strong core, that's not the issue, and I can see that I've added mass to the area, but they just don't pop out individually; they seem to grow as a unit.

If you're 9% you'll see abs clearly defined, no question. Probably fairly defined intercostal as well. Like, they're there, or else you couldn't stand or sit straight or do most things you take for granted.

Zillah wrote:
    But...why would you want abs that you have to hide under clothes? Schrodinger's Six Pack.

You don't you wear it before popping your top off for 5 seconds while the imprint is still there

Put on shirt.
    Jump into hot water.
    Get into tumble dryer for maybe 20 minutes.

Et voila, shirt will have shrunk to show abs.

Put on shirt.
    Jump into hot water.
    Get into tumble dryer for maybe 20 minutes.

Et voila, shirt will have shrunk to show abs.

Isn't this part of the intro session when you first join a gym?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Isn't this part of the intro session when you first join a gym?

I was wearing the Batman suit Michael Keaton wore when I had my intro so they might have skipped that bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Does anyone know of anywhere on the north side of Dublin that does this?

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of anywhere on the north side of Dublin that does this?

Surely you can arrange hot water and a tumble dryer at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

By the end, what were your general energy levels like? Were you completely drained and fatigued or feeling fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Surely you can arrange hot water and a tumble dryer at home?

The emersion is broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Is this programme just available in Dublin or where else can it be done?

By the end, what were your general energy levels like? Were you completely drained and fatigued or feeling fine?

From about week 3, my energy levels were better than they've been in almost 10 years. Wrecked by about 9:30/10pm but that's cos I was up since 5:45am cos I chose the morning class.
    Is this programme just available in Dublin or where else can it be done?

Other places too. Google.

From about week 3, my energy levels were better than they've been in almost 10 years.

Do you think that was largely down to much cleaner eating?

How many days a week will you be training now?

From about week 3, my energy levels were better than they've been in almost 10 years. Wrecked by about 9:30/10pm but that's cos I was up since 5:45am cos I chose the morning class.

Other places too. Google.

I'd like to know what your weight settles at now that the program is over and you won't be on such a strict diet regime. Considering once you bring back you're regularish eating habits there'll be more bloat foods.

Do you think that was largely down to much cleaner eating?

How many days a week will you be training now?

Cleaner eating, consistent training and taking vitamins were all big contributing factors I reckon. Also just seeing results was energising!

I'm currently in Florida on holidays so, when I get back in a few weeks, im gonna ride out May in Flyefit. My plan was to go back to ISP in June and go to 4 sessions a week but I think I'll just do 5 tbh. Mon-Tues and Wed-Sat probably. At the time, I was looking forward to scaling back a bit but now I'm really missing daily training!

I'd like to know what your weight settles at now that the program is over and you won't be on such a strict diet regime. Considering once you bring back you're regularish eating habits there'll be more bloat foods.

Between 68.5 and 69.5. I was expecting to go back up to about 71 so I'm delighted with where it is.

That said, as above, I'm in Florida right now and I'm gonna eat ALL the pancakes so I'll have some course correcting to do when I get home...!

Did you find your 'diet' restrictive in terms of the range of foods and going forward (I hate myself for using those two words together) would you be happy to keep it largely the same with maybe a change in quantities?

Did you find your 'diet' restrictive in terms of the range of foods and going forward (I hate myself for using those two words together) would you be happy to keep it largely the same with maybe a change in quantities?

I didn't but I'm a very plain eater so others probably would notice that more. Like I don't eat spices, herbs, sauces etc so plain chicken for example doesn't phase me.

I'll be keeping things mostly the same but possibly eating a little less tbh. I spent a FORTUNE on steak...

I didn't but I'm a very plain eater so others probably would notice that more. Like I don't eat spices, herbs, sauces etc so plain chicken for example doesn't phase me.

I'll be keeping things mostly the same but possibly eating a little less tbh. I spent a FORTUNE on steak...

Nice! Plain enough eater myself though more so that a lack of variety has never bothered me.

And thanks for making me want steak now :)

• Advertisement

Ah would not be for me. Have to have spices and herbs on nearly everything I eat. That's all the flavour! I think I'd fail massively on the traditional chicken and rice bodybuilder diet :D

Ah would not be for me. Have to have spices and herbs on nearly everything I eat. That's all the flavour! I think I'd fail massively on the traditional chicken and rice bodybuilder diet :D

Sorry, I may have phrased that poorly. That was an example of how I eat to illustrate how a possibly restrictive diet wouldn't phase me. I've no idea if those things were allowed/off limits. I know a lot of people used herbs/spices cos I saw their meals (we posted pics of every meal on the private FB group for the first 3 weeks) but I didn't see any sauces from what I remember... but yeah, no idea if that stuff was or wasn't allowed!

I'd check for you but.... I don't have thyme right now.

Nice! Plain enough eater myself though more so that a lack of variety has never bothered me.

And thanks for making me want steak now :)

Have pancakes instead.

I'm sorry to be that person, but *faze

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm sorry to be that person, but *faze

Were I paying closer attention, I'd be that person too, so I thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I was looking at some of the transformations and I don't really think the female transformations looked brilliant, far too skinny in some cases and stringy looking apart from one lady who was overweight and lost a lot

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I was looking at some of the transformations and I don't really think the female transformations looked brilliant, far too skinny in some cases and stringy looking apart from one lady who was overweight and lost a lot

In fairness, your idea of "too skinny" is likely to mean fcuk all to those women who, if they agreed to have their pics put up, are probably beyond delighted with their achievements.

In fairness, your idea of "too skinny" is likely to mean fcuk all to those women who, if they agreed to have their pics put up, are probably beyond delighted with their achievements.

Fair enough, maybe that is a healthy weight and their bmi was taken into account, the naked eye is deceiving when it comes to a lot of pics. Just my opinion no doubt it means fcuk all but still going to exercise it no matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Fair enough, maybe that is a healthy weight and their bmi was taken into account, the naked eye is deceiving when it comes to a lot of pics. Just my opinion no doubt it means fcuk all but still going to exercise it no matter.

Most of the women in those pics do look like an unhealthy weight and seriously low bodyfat to be fair. Some looked underweight before their transformation

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Most of the women in those pics do look like an unhealthy weight and seriously low bodyfat to be fair. Some looked underweight before their transformation

Thanks, it's not my intention to body shame but after looking at the amazing pictures of the lads (albeit after they had done dumbell reps before the pics with the nice lighting it was still impressive), I wanted to see pictures of the ladies and their transformations and did not feel that the program had been tailored properly to them. If you are going to go for this kind of program you want to know that it's sustainable or at least some form of the training is sustainable in the long run especially if you are paying that amount. I wouldn't choose it myself but power to them if that's what their expectation was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I hate these results pictures, stand at the right angle, use the right lighting,filter the **** out of it and make it black and white.

Shouldn't have to manipulate pictures

• Advertisement
Advertisement