Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scholarships?

Options
  • 28-04-2017 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hey,

Just looking for information.

I am wondering what are the requirements to be awarded a scholarship in the states for an undergraduate program.
    Are there specific scholarships for international students or Irish students?
    I am also wondering whether anyone here has any experience with studying in the States.

any reply appreciated :)

Comments

Hi. A close family member is in the US on ESTA at present, and applied to a university there for a 4-year program. She needed a GPA of 2.7 to be even considered for admission. This is calculated from the LC results. On the basis of her LC results she was automatically awarded 2 scholarships, one of which is an international fee waiver; there are multiple scholarships available for both Irish and International students. She will begin her studies in USA this August. Any questions, fire away and I'll try to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭DipDab93

Hey thank you for the input!

How many universities did she apply to? did she apply to universities in the West?
    Do they take PLC into account? or one year study at 3rd Level?
    Do you apply directly?
    and
    are SUSI giving her any aid?

She applied directly to just one near where she is living. It is in the mid west. You need to apply directly to the universities, there is no CAO type central application process. Regarding SUSI, I couldn't answer that as she would not have qualified for any grant here.
    As for previous study at PLC level - I don't know; 3rd level, yes that can be converted to GPA, probably a lot easier than converting LC points! They don't "get" the difference between HL and OL.

Just so I'm not mistaken, you say they don't get HL and OL, Does that mean that Higher Level subjects and Ordinary are treated the same, its basically just about the figures?

Exactly. In her case anyway. That particular admissions office had never before converted an Irish leaving cert.

• Advertisement

Exactly. In her case anyway. That particular admissions office had never before converted an Irish leaving cert.

that was fair handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Hi. A close family member is in the US on ESTA at present, and applied to a university there for a 4-year program. She needed a GPA of 2.7 to be even considered for admission. This is calculated from the LC results. On the basis of her LC results she was automatically awarded 2 scholarships, one of which is an international fee waiver; there are multiple scholarships available for both Irish and International students. She will begin her studies in USA this August. Any questions, fire away and I'll try to answer.

A 2.7 is very low, that would be a D average and definitely nowhere near what you'd need to be considered for university acceptance, let alone consideration for a scholarship. Maybe you mean 3.7+?
    OP, I'm American and went to college in the USA, you would need to request scholarship and admission information from each university directly as there's no central application system. You'd also need to take the SAT exams. Tuition in the USA is crazy expensive (10-15k per year would be considered cheap) and scholarships are super competitive, so start researching and applying early!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭JennyZ

I agree with cactusgal above, 2.7 is extremely low (D average in Irish terms in relation to leaving cert), I've worked with US students in Dublin so I know how it translates and in Irish or American terms it wouldn't guarantee a place in university alone on academics but it depends on what the requirements are for scholarships and how they translate the LC results I guess.

cactusgal wrote: »
    A 2.7 is very low, that would be a D average and definitely nowhere near what you'd need to be considered for university acceptance, let alone consideration for a scholarship. Maybe you mean 3.7+?
    OP, I'm American and went to college in the USA, you would need to request scholarship and admission information from each university directly as there's no central application system. You'd also need to take the SAT exams. Tuition in the USA is crazy expensive (10-15k per year would be considered cheap) and scholarships are super competitive, so start researching and applying early!
    Sorry, yes 3.7. (Fat finger!). Yes, it would have cost approx $30k as an international student, incl accommodation, medical insurance etc. And the grades need to be kept up or you lose the scholarship.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

cactusgal wrote: »
    Sorry, yes 3.7. (Fat finger!). Yes, it would have cost approx $30k as an international student, incl accommodation, medical insurance etc. And the grades need to be kept up or you lose the scholarship.

30k per year as an international student including accommodation and insurance is actually not bad. Is it a state/public university or community college, out of curiosity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭JennyZ

That makes sense :) Sports scholarships will generally look for a 2.7 min. Is it an academic scholarship the person you know is on with a 3.7, what is their area of study?

30k per year as an international student including accommodation and insurance is actually not bad. Is it a state/public university or community college, out of curiosity?[/quote]

State university.

JennyZ wrote: »
    That makes sense :) Sports scholarships will generally look for a 2.7 min. Is it an academic scholarship the person you know is on with a 3.7, what is their area of study?

Yes, academic scholarship and music scholarship.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

I studied in US on a Sports Scholarship. At the time the SAT was the standard evaluation used by US high school graduates and this can also be used to evaluate people for academic scholarship. I sat the SAT in St Pat's Drumcondra on a Saturday afternoon. If you decide to go this route make sure to practice. This is a standardised test that can be significantly improved through practice.

Ok cheers guys Im gonna have to investigate a little seems worth it though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

My better half worked in Admissions at University of Washington for years.

There's lots of scholarships/grants, etc, Some scholarships may only be worth a few hundred dollars a semester.

The kind of scholarship that pays all your expenses is known as a "full ride scholarship".

• Registered Users Posts: 16 macc2013

Hello,

I have written a 50,000 word guide on Sports Scholarships USA. If anyone would like to educate themselves on the topic then feel free to email me a request for a free copy.

I completed a soccer scholarship in 2006 and decided to write the guide on the subject to help others on their journey.

Cheers,

Cormac

<edit>

Post edited by Fathom on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

MOD: Suggest that they post in this thread for their free guide (or PM you). We don’t give out email addresses, generally.

@macc2013

Advertisement