Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange a foreign driving licence - is it a brand new licence for insurance purposes

Options
  • 28-04-2017 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm living in the UK for the last few years and my Irish licence expired. I have exchanged my Irish licence for a UK licence and I'm about to renew my insurance and I'm wondering if I'm going to be treated as a brand new driver. I have 10 years clean driving on the old Irish licence but strictly speaking the new licence is less than a year old. 

Does anyone know how these things are treated by insurance companies? Is an exchanged licence a continuation of the old licence or a brand new licence? Will it affect my insurance premium?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hi all,

I'm living in the UK for the last few years and my Irish licence expired. I have exchanged my Irish licence for a UK licence and I'm about to renew my insurance and I'm wondering if I'm going to be treated as a brand new driver. I have 10 years clean driving on the old Irish licence but strictly speaking the new licence is less than a year old. 

Does anyone know how these things are treated by insurance companies? Is an exchanged licence a continuation of the old licence or a brand new licence? Will it affect my insurance premium?

Cheers
    On the back of the license is printed the issue date for the various categories.
    B = 01-01-2007 etc
    this will be the issue date of the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

CJhaughey wrote: »
    On the back of the license is printed the issue date for the various categories.
    B = 01-01-2007 etc
    this will be the issue date of the license.

You're spot on! Just checked and it has the issue date of the original licence. Brilliant news thanks for your help.

I'll mention it to the insurance company in the interest of full disclosure. I don't want them to use it against me if I ever need to make a claim.

Advertisement