Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update on the Quays cycle route

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ffs, the plan was far from perfect but objections from convention center and the point were taken seriously? Most attendees to both arrive by LUAS or on foot.

Backwards country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Whatever about the convention centre, it's not like the point has events​ on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It seems crazy to pander to those special event needs and ignore daily ones. It's easy to get to those via a less direct route and that is where the message should be. If you want to bring your car into town, you have to go a circuitous route. Public transport has priority! Sorry, this is this future of multi modal transport in cities the world over. When will Ireland step up to this thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Put simply I will not cycle on a boardwalk. Absolute shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Presumably cyclists will still be able to cycle in the bus lane(s).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Deedsie wrote: »
    Ah it's just embarrassing at this stage. They had a solution and inevitably they fluffed it as they always do.

Buses and private cars sharing a lane. Prioritise public and active transport in the city centre for goodness sake and stop pandering to inefficient private motorists who are the cause of traffic congestion in Dublin and every other town and city in Ireland.

The manner in which Local Authorities are run in Ireland doesn't lend itself to vision/strong leadership. We run our cities/counties by committee/lobbying with the role of Mayor symbolic only.

Waterford City (and now County also) has a manager cut from a different cloth. Since his appointment the City has had (very badly needed) works to make it a prettier and more enjoyable city to sample. Also he drove the Greenway.

He is the exception though; Dublin needs someone like him; but given the number of local authorities in the greater Dublin area I wouldn't hold my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

ford2600 wrote: »
    The manner in which Local Authorities are run in Ireland doesn't lend itself to vision/strong leadership. We run our cities/counties by committee/lobbying with the role of Mayor symbolic only.

Waterford City (and now County also) has a manager cut from a different cloth. Since his appointment the City has had (very badly needed) works to make it a prettier and more enjoyable city to sample. Also he drove the Greenway.

He is the exception though; Dublin needs someone like him; but given the number of local authorities in the greater Dublin area I wouldn't hold my breath

on first reading i took that literally and felt a rage grow inside me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

also very disappointed in ciaran cuffe signalling approval for this boardwalk plan.
    Transport Committee chairman Ciaran Cuffe said he was pleased with the compromise about building a boardwalk cycleway to prevent diversions off the quays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

It's a joke. I don't know why I was expecting a different outcome though. I've emailed every member of the DCC transport committee to inform them of my disappointment in the decision and my reasons why, not that it will make a lick of difference at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Boardwalk won't be used and a waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Can be summed up as follows:

"Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result"

In 1 years time when the cross city luas is up and running and everything is at a standstill on the quays, the lightbulb will finally come on
    ... assuming they haven't taxed cars out of the city by then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ffs, the plan was far from perfect but objections from convention center and the point were taken seriously? Most attendees to both arrive by LUAS or on foot...

I dunno about that. Anytime there's any event in either of these its grid lock throughout the city.

I don't think anyone who makes these decisions commutes by bicycle. They seem to treat cycling like its people out on a Sunday afternoon wandering about. Rather than a transport system in itself.

I don't find the north quays that bad. Its the south quays especially getting out of town and into the phoenix park I don't like.

beauf wrote: »
    I don't find the north quays that bad. Its the south quays especially getting out of town and into the phoenix park I don't like.

Must be time of the day. From smithfield up to bus aras during 5-7pm is mayhem, some evenings not even a bike can get up the quays between the lanes.

I'd be going opposite direction at that time of day.

I'd be going opposite direction at that time of day.

I see, actually i find the south quays grand in the morning as I'd be going opposite direction also :)

I dunno about that. Anytime there's any event in either of these its grid lock throughout the city.

I don't think anyone who makes these decisions commutes by bicycle. They seem to treat cycling like its people out on a Sunday afternoon wandering about. Rather than a transport system in itself.

I work right beside the convention centre and I'd never say it was gridlocked. But i guess hey both generate a fair bit of revenue from parking.

Either way it's a complete nonsense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it time for the dublin cycling campaign to publically admit defeat - as in make an issue of it - that nothing will ever happen on the quays?
    it's a bit like throwing good money after bad, and it's time that was publically declared.
    concentrate on other routes that people don't have their knickers nearly as much of a in, when it comes to reconfiguring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Meanwhile traffic congestion in Dublin is estimated to be costing around €350 million per year. But f* cyclists - why build proper infrastructure for them - they don't pay road tax...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've always found the opposite, south quays the better of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I find the stretch outside Guinness very dangerous with cars speeding and taxis doing close passes while I'm in the bus lane. If someone wants to go through the phoenix park they have to cross to the other side of that three lane road with this fast traffic.

Then there is where lower bridge Street traffic (by the brazen head) joins the quays with a slip road type junction. Been nearly taken out there a number of times when I'm already on the quays and the don't see me and keep going (even though I have hi-vis on!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

On the North vs South debate I find the North quays to be worse. I go this way during the busiest commuting time in the morning and the bus lane is jammed with busses, coaches and taxis. A huge number of which are trying very slowly to change lanes to go around obstructions (busses at stops, taxis stopped anywhere they like and delivery vehicles). My only trips along the south quays are well after busy commuting times so I guess the comparison isn't fair but I find it a lot less crowded and therefore better. It does have the quality of changing from three lanes to two lanes and back again at least twice which is something that does not help cyclist safety at all.

As far as how many people get to the point or the convention centre by car versus public transport I don't know the numbers but I think you should bear in mind that it doesn't take all that many extra cars to jam up the city centre. Just because traffic slows to a crawl when there is something on does not mean that a large percentage of the attendees are arriving by car. Even if they do I don't think that implies that they should be facilitated at the expense of improving the more efficient and more sustainable options.

ThisRegard wrote: »

I'd be the exact opposite myself. It probably depends on tine of day but South Quays always seems the more dangerous of the 2 to me.

If they don't do the quays they should do the canals properly and the north and south circular roads too with clearly marked lanes.

Let's all the pig ignorant f*ck*rs sit in their cars wasting their time and adding to the pollution, obesity problems while they whine that cyclist are the reason they lost 30 seconds in their journey

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Just to play devil's advocate, why not? What if the boardwalk was resurfaced?

(Not being confrontational, just want to tease this out).

LennoxR wrote: »
    Just to play devil's advocate, why not? What if the boardwalk was resurfaced?

(Not being confrontational, just want to tease this out).

Sure you'll be having to cross the traffic lanes to get onto them, then cross them again if not crossing the Liffey and yield to traffic at virtually every junction that's there. It would merge with pedestrian crossing continually too. It's a crap idea that's just been bolted on last minutes.

it tends to be visited upon by some of Dublin city's less than savoury people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Weepsie wrote: »
    Sure you'll be having to cross the traffic lanes to get onto them, then cross them again if not crossing the Liffey and yield to traffic at virtually every junction that's there. It would merge with pedestrian crossing continually too. It's a crap idea that's just been bolted on last minutes.

it tends to be visited upon by some of Dublin city's less than savoury people too.

Good points. So it's not about the surface of the boardwalk then? I have occasionally taken a short cut on it and found it fairly wobbly to cycle on. But I assume they'll do something with the surface.

What if they built a cycling boardwalk the length of the quays, could that conceivably work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Possibly the least unexpected decision in a while. This is the genius of Kennyianity, give something to different lobbyists, preferably more to the better connected. Those of limited perspective might complain that people outside the golden circle find their commute or lives in general more miserable, but most of the lobbyists have got something, and that's what counts. Bertie of the Yellow Trousers was the John the Baptist of Kennyianity, or its the reverse, or something.

These one way streets so beloved of an earlier generation of planner need to disappear. Reversion might slow cars down, but that's the point. I like to think I cycle fast and move about nimbly, but there are so many points where a cyclist needs to cross several lanes of cars, sometimes coming from more than one direction. Dublin city centre is not pleasant to cycle when it gets anyway busy.

What if they built a cycling boardwalk the length of the quays, could that conceivably work?

Possibly, but you'd still have to merge with traffic and yield to it more than should be necessary. Dublin is a small even with its sprawl. It's unnecessary for many people (not all) to be entering the city by car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Good points. So it's not about the surface of the boardwalk then? I have occasionally taken a short cut on it and found it fairly wobbly to cycle on. But I assume they'll do something with the surface.

Wet wood is dreadful to cycle on. We may assume that they would resurface with something that isn't slippery as hell but I wouldn't like to bet on it. However my main complaint would be the shambles that will be every bridge. The loss of priority and mingling with pedestrians will be made worse by the poor sight lines the walls will almost certainly result in.

There's two main problem that absolutely will not be resolved by this. First cyclists will be far worse off at every bridge. Second any cyclist that wants to take a left, for example in to Jervis Street, will have to use the main road where they will be vulnerable to wannabe vigilantes in busses and taxis for having the cheek to use the road when they should be on the cycle path. If both those issues disappeared I'd be willing to deal with the minor issues but I suspect you would need to replace the planners with some sort of team of wizards.

Advertisement