Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update on the Quays cycle route

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

because that's part of the argument about who the north quays should cater to.

People from Maynooth that may wish to go the the NCC or Three Arena outside of peak traffic volume hours? I thought it was about providing a sustainable traffic management /flow solution for the area in general with particular emphasis is priorotising public transport? Obviously the joined up thinking approach would also be prioritising public transport infastructure updrades and improving network frequency and connectivity across the city and extended area so as to work in tandem with traffic calming measures within city. Can't see that happening anytime soon though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was reading about a company recently - may not have been in ireland, though - which decided to award staff who *didn't* drive in. end result is the same as charging, in a sense, but less divisive.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

i was reading about a company recently - may not have been in ireland, though - which decided to award staff who *didn't* drive in. end result is the same as charging, in a sense, but less divisive.

There are also countries including Belgium afaik which give you a km allowance for cycling as well as operating a subsidised Bike to Work scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Chuchote wrote: »
    And it's not taxed as Benefit-in-Kind?

The Finance Bill of 2009 had some provision to levy of €200 on those that have parking provided by their employer in designated urban areas but it's not a success as Revenue don't know who provides parking and where the spaces are.

Goombeen Fiscal thinking! It's totally uncollectable. I have a space but I cycle. I get the bus. I walk. I get a lift.....I work from home 3 days a week...

http://www.revenue.ie/en/practitioner/law/bills/archive/finance-no2-bill-2008/parking-levy-guidance.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking of the carbon cost - as someone who works from home three days a week typically - i wonder where the balance lies, considering that when i work from home i've to heat a house that would otherwise not need heating, instead of going into a building which is already heated (or cooled).
    it's certainly cheaper for me to cycle into work on a cold day than to work from home.

• Advertisement

speaking of the carbon cost - as someone who works from home three days a week typically - i wonder where the balance lies, considering that when i work from home i've to heat a house that would otherwise not need heating, instead of going into a building which is already heated (or cooled).
    it's certainly cheaper for me to cycle into work on a cold day than to work from home.

Interesting point especially as you would cycle to work so no CO2 on way!: But you don't really heat the whole house though, do you ? Have you heating zones, loads of insulation and a decent BER?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Deedsie wrote: »
    Can you imagine the uproar? Some civil servants where I work have free parking. I work for a private company on the same site.

Meanwhile the world is crumbling under our feet because of carbon overproduction…

Have you heating zones, loads of insulation and a decent BER?
    heh. i have 11 zones. for a 50s house, insulation is reaonably good (we bought it off a chap who worked for the SEAI) - BER i can take or leave. total heating bill over the last year was approx. €700.

problem for me is that the room i use when working from home is probably the one with the worst insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Can't those poor souls from Maynooth use the port tunnel if they really must drive? It operates well below capacity at night.

heh. i have 11 zones. for a 50s house, insulation is reaonably good (we bought it off a chap who worked for the SEAI) - BER i can take or leave. total heating bill over the last year was approx. €700.

problem for me is that the room i use when working from home is probably the one with the worst insulation.

Work from the kitchen ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Deedsie wrote: »
    Can you imagine the uproar? Some civil servants where I work have free parking. I work for a private company on the same site. To be fair though, quite a lot do cycle. We probably have the most secure bike parking in Dublin.

Many of the people who drive in I pass every morning on the N11. Most are living in DLRCC area.

My wife drives to her place of work but she has to pay for it. That is how it should be in my opinion.

In most civil / public service offices in the city, parking is fairly limited. I know of two offices that each have several hundred staff with less than 10 parking spaces each - so it is limited to the most senior staff. Some offices with larger spaces (DCC on Wood Quay) have long waiting lists for staff who want a parking space. The media story of ALL the civil servants languishing in their own personal parking space is largely a myth, or a major exaggeration at any rate.

do the large car parks have any figures on where their customers are coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You don't have to waste time and resources working where people coming from. Simply make it hard to get into town and they'll switch to the overloaded trains, and luas. If they can get on them.

Isn't that the point of reducing capacity on the quays. Restricting cars and giving priority to other forms of transport.

well, just if the likes of brown thomas is complaining about the quays, but 80% of their customers don't use the quays, would be interesting info.

They should do their own survey then. They have their own car park.

That will be the same for all car parks.

They could scan the number plates and see where they are taxed

beauf wrote: »
    That will be the same for all car parks.

They could scan the number plates and see where they are taxed

My point exactly. If the State started charging for its car parks instead of giving free spaces to public services - and gradually got rid of all onstreet parking and replacing it with multi-storey car parks - it would release far more road space for use, and it would mean all the administration of checking tax and insurance (and driving around clamping unpaid use of that onstreet parking) could be dispensed with, because it could be done automatically in the car parks.

My point was they could scan the traffic on the quays. See where it's coming from.

People will pay for parking if they don't get it free. Which is why it's so expensive. In our office it wasn't cost that put people off driving, it was when it took a lot longer in the car. Than an alternative.

My point exactly. If the State started charging for its car parks instead of giving free spaces to public services

What car parks are you referring to here?

What car parks are you referring to here?

Perhaps I should have said "for the car park spaces the State owns".

Many public servants and many people who work for big companies have free parking in Dublin city centre. This is an incentive to drive; there's nothing against people driving if they absolutely have to, but it would probably be a good idea to make it much easier and cheaper to cycle or take public transport (including having proper park-and-ride facilities at the edges of the city so that people who drive in from commuter counties could park up and use Luas and bus or cycle in town).

• Advertisement

Perhaps I should have said "for the car park spaces the State owns".

Not being smart, but which spaces are you referring to here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Well the department of education has free parking. Loads of it. Ditto government buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For one you have all the onstreet parking which is DCC owned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It really seems a no-brainer for a carbon action to either stop providing free parking spaces, or tax them as benefit-in-kind.

Not really, simple get around is to say they're pool spaces unassigned to an individual. But unfair then to those working in satellite office and corporate complexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I know for a fact that certain Government Offices that do not have sufficient parking on site offer parking spaces in nearby hotel car parks. All free. Fact.

This has to stop.

And the irony of DCC pontificating about priority for PT whilst they have a mahoosive underground car park accessed opposite Dublinia. LOL.

The City Manager needs to live in the city for a year as part of his/her contract, and actually cross the Liffey to the Northside too. Wouldn't that be a good move, rather than sending memos from the bunker on Wood Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Somebody should ask Cuffe to close the DCC carpark for a month, let them use alternative transport as an "experiment".

ED E wrote: »
    Somebody should ask Cuffe to close the DCC carpark for a month, let them use alternative transport as an "experiment".

I doubt that that's within his power; even if he is chair of the Transportation Special Purposes Committee; he's just one elected councillor. Not sure whether Eoin Keegan could do it either. But is there really a huge council car-park? I thought a poster said recently that City Hall has a huge waiting list. so is another available to Councillors opposite Dublinia? I can't remember where I read the other day that if you want to improve cities you don't offer car parking to city planners or engineers!

There's a much bigger issue though, on the one hand councils say they want to prioritise walking, cycling and PT. On the other hand they are hugely reliant on revenue from parking charges. If they remove on-street parking spaces, it could be brilliant for making space for cycling but they would have to replace the revenue somehow. Guess that's why the Draft National Mitigation Plan puts developing a policy on parking on its long-term list!

ED E wrote: »
    For one you have all the onstreet parking which is DCC owned.
    The point was about 'free spaces for public servants' so I don't think on-street parking was under discussion.
    I know for a fact that certain Government Offices that do not have sufficient parking on site offer parking spaces in nearby hotel car parks. All free. Fact.
    Where does this happen? No mention of hotel car parks in this recent PQ response, though there are other paid 'overflow' spaces;
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-02-08a.448
    fat bloke wrote: »
    Well the department of education has free parking. Loads of it. Ditto government buildings

Yeah, I've been in the Marlborough St car park once and it seemed quite big.

I don't think Govt buildings has a huge number of spaces. Certainly, the rule about free parking for life for former TDs is ridiculous, and should be cut out straight away. They would have some staff and some TDs working anti-social hours when the house is sitting late, so they would need some parking for this.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Not really, simple get around is to say they're pool spaces unassigned to an individual. But unfair then to those working in satellite office and corporate complexes.

They backed off a proposal to apply BIK to free parking because of some of these difficulties. What happens to someone who parks one day a week or one day a month. What happens to someone who needs their car for the job, like a social worker or a building control inspector?

There is a problem with free parking all right, in that the costs of parking are shared by everybody, including those who cycle and those who use public transport. Some form of fee would not be unreasonable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If we're still talking about the quays in relation to the Liffey Cycle Route, you all might be getting a bit carried away -- there's less than 400 cars per hour at rush hour on Ellis Quay and that's only going to decrease.

377 cars per hour on Ellis Quay was the average the city council counted in 2016.

There's a more cars up closer to O'Connell Bridge as people turn onto the quays from other routes, but all the traffic on the quays is going to be cut once the new bus lanes are put in and a traffic light system (a type of bus gate) goes in before O'Connell Bridge on Bachelor's Walk. A ban on cars turning right from Bachelor's Walk onto O'Connell Bridge will also be in place.

Then, as part of the College Green Plaza, traffic volumes on the quays will be reduced further as the bridge at Capel Street will be down to one lane for general traffic and Parliament Street will likely have its full bus gate (depending on permission etc).

This will reduce traffic capacity on Ellis Quay.

So, we're talking about less than the current 377 cars per hour -- likely far less.

It doesn't directly work this way, but, per hour: We're talking about just a tram load of people, or a few buses, or a small commuter train not fully loaded.

The main thing wrong with the private traffic is that we think about it far too much. Bicycles already outnumber cars on Ellis Quay and on Eden Quay (not yet on Bachelor's Walk), but most people wear-east along here are carried by Luas and a bit less by bus.

Here's the Ellis Quay data;
    Traffic-count.jpg

And a chart showing the people carrying of modes along Bachelor's Walk and the red line beside it:

img_4434.jpg

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    And a chart showing the people carrying of modes along Bachelor's Walk and the red line beside it:

img_4434.jpg

Chart doesn't show the hundreds of bikes that pass along there?

Advertisement