Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi Calling

Options
  • 28-04-2017 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Very simple really :)

Is WiFi calling enabled/available from launch on the new S8/S8+, or is it to be added at some later stage?

I'm thinking of switching from 3 in part for this feature, but would need to confirm it beforehand.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Went in store and picked one up today. For anyone else, yes it's available out of the box :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi  _Kaiser_,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Yes, it is available once you have the Nougat update on the phone.

Please ensure all your phone software is up to date and that you have your WIFI calling enabled on your handset. You can enable this by going through settings into connections.

Please feel free to get back in touch to let us know how you're getting on with the service :D

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well at the moment I'm still waiting on my number to port :( Apparently the shop didn't actually submit the request on Saturday but I called Cust Care yesterday and she put it though.

Got a text then this morning from 3 saying my number had been cleared to port, but still nothing happening on the actual move.

Any ideas? How long should it take from here? I've a shiny new phone I can't use yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

I'm very sorry to hear this _Kaiser_.

I would recommend contacting our eMobile care team on 1800 690 000 and they will be able to advise on the lead times in relation to this.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭kala85

Anyone used WiFI calling with Eir and how have they found it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭kala85

If I have a phone from another network and port in, will it work or does it need to be flashed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

kala85 wrote: »
    If I have a phone from another network and port in, will it work or does it need to be flashed
    Hi kala85,

I have responded to you on another thread about this.

- Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭fernrock

Can anybody tell me , what is wifi calling and, is it available on the Galaxy S7.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

fernrock wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me , what is wifi calling and, is it available on the Galaxy S7.
    WiFi calling allows normal mobile calls and texts to be carried over WiFi instead of the public mast network.  This is useful if you have poor coverage indoors, or if you are abroad in a country where there are high roaming charges.   All calls over WiFi are treated as if you were at home, irrespective of what country you are in.   Skype, Viber etc also allow calls to made over WiFi, but these services only work with other users of the same service.  Native WiFi calling from your mobile operator means you can make and receive calls with any other phone, so it does not have this limitation.   WiFi calling also supports HD Voice.  

WiFI calling is supported on the Samsung Galaxy S7, but you will need to have a handset with the Eir software configuration on it.  If you bought your phone SIM-free or from another operator, you will need to flash the Eir software into it before WiFi calling will work.  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭fernrock

Babbelfish1990

Thanks for that info.

I have a simfree G7 so I will follow thing up.

• Advertisement

Babbelfish1990

Thanks for that info.

I have a simfree G7 so I will follow thing up.
    Hi fernrock, 

Thanks for getting in touch today. 

babelfish1990 above is correct on this.

If you have purchased your handset through another operator you would need to bring it to your local store and they will send it off to Fonefix to get the software updated onto it. There is a charge of €20 if you're not in warranty. 

Thanks 

Adam 

WiFi calling allows normal mobile calls and texts to be carried over WiFi instead of the public mast network.  This is useful if you have poor coverage indoors, or if you are abroad in a country where there are high roaming charges.   All calls over WiFi are treated as if you were at home, irrespective of what country you are in.   Skype, Viber etc also allow calls to made over WiFi, but these services only work with other users of the same service.  Native WiFi calling from your mobile operator means you can make and receive calls with any other phone, so it does not have this limitation.   WiFi calling also supports HD Voice.  

WiFI calling is supported on the Samsung Galaxy S7, but you will need to have a handset with the Eir software configuration on it.  If you bought your phone SIM-free or from another operator, you will need to flash the Eir software into it before WiFi calling will work.  
    Thanks for your help here babelfish1990 :) 

Thanks 

Adam 

Advertisement