Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for time off soon after starting new job

Options
  • 28-04-2017 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

This has kind of been on my mind for the past few days and I figured here would be the best spot to post.

I'm currently in Leaving Cert, a company near me recently took me on part-time. Considering I'm doing the leaving the boss said he wouldn't be bothering me much or at all with many hours until the leaving is finished to give me the best run at it, which is fierce sound on his part to be honest.

Slight problem is that about 3 weeks after the leaving cert we've a family holiday planned away for the best of a week.

I don't know how many hours exactly I'll have once I start properly over the summer, but I do know that it's going to look lousy on my part. The boss is pretty much holding this job for me, and I'll only be in the door and I'll be asking for almost a week off only 2 or 3 weeks after starting.

Is the fact that it's a holiday and it's been planned for a long time going to be enough for the boss to understand or will it be a case that I'll have to choose between the holiday and keeping the job.

I'm a bit anxious about the whole thing because it's my first proper job and I don't want to get on the wrong side of the boss.

Anybody know any ways to work this out?

Any and all advice appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Books4you

I would go in and be honest about it. I find it gets you further in life. Tell him once you're finished the leaving you are willing to put in as many hours as you can or as he needs and same when you come back.

If you show you are willing and put the head down and do good work i reckon you would be fine. Now it does all depend on the boss but from what you say he sounds decent so you've a good shot that he will be okay. Just be straight about it. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

You'll be fine and it will be fine. Just be honest, like the above poster said and don't be worried. All he can say is no, that's the worst thing that can happen.

I doubt it will be that much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

So should I try to get in contact with the boss to tell them about this as much in advance as I can, or would it be better to wait until the leaving is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Yes, as an employer id prefer as much notice as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Tell him as soon as possible, it'll look far better. Most employers will be fine with it. I had a 5 day trip to the UK planned for 3 weeks after I started a new job. Told them in the interview, reiterated it on training day, nicely, and was approved for the time off with no bother.

You should be grand once you give him some notice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

its a very common occurrence with new starters, especially this time of year.

Let him know as early as possible

Advertisement