Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Counties in Ireland with the Rudest People and why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Cork in general. It's the whole "Ireland by birth, Cork by the grace of God" bullsh?t that seems to be the mantra down there. Gives people big ideas about themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Hardly a great example? People are usually ringing these palces when they are getting a bad service or issues with it. Also alot of the time the call is costing the Person money or all their credit to hear a game of pass the buck. So chances are they're going to be annoyed.

I'll flip you example. Most people will have had an average to **** experience ringing a call centre.

Yes but he said he dealt with all of Ireland, Dublin being the worst of the annoyed people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Agricola wrote: »
    Cork in general. It's the whole "Ireland by birth, Cork by the grace of God" bullsh?t that seems to be the mantra down there. Gives people big ideas about themselves.

Lots of Cork begrudgers on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Have Cork people actually said that to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

jpm4 wrote: »
    Have Cork people actually said that to you?

They don't need to say it, they have it printed on T-Shirts

They even brought out their own passport a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Isn't that "grace of God" phrase munster, not Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Isn't that "grace of God" phrase munster, not Cork?

irish_by_birth_cork_by_graceof_god_t_shirt-r729fa7acf9774f26af61c172754b86e4_jyr6q_630.jpg?view_padding=%5B285%2C0%2C285%2C0%5D

247398893_a435faded4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oh my God a T Shirt!!

What next? Boxers? The arrogance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Kerry
    But it will be ok by Tuesday when all the Dubs go back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I've found that it's generally Dubs who are absolutely obsessed with the Cork being the real capital thing. They constantly bring it up, whereas Cork people don't give a crap and use it at this stage to troll the Dubs - who get very wound up over it.

This really. It's almost a sport at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

You realise a lot of the Cork supremacy stuff and the People's Republic etc is all rather tongue in cheek?

A friend of mine was questioned in the states for 4 hours for having a People's Republic of Cork t-shirt on as they assumed it was a terrorist organisation! But then again, the yanks are in an era of paranoid xenophobia at the moment so, anything can result in this!

Wearing a particularly jaunty hat can now get you sent off for enhanced interrogation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

You realise a lot of the Cork supremacy stuff and the People's Republic etc is all rather tongue in cheek?

A friend of mine was questioned in the states for 4 hours for having a People's Republic of Cork t-shirt on as they assumed it was a terrorist organisation! But then again, the yanks are in an era of paranoid xenophobia at the moment so, anything can result in this!

Wearing a particularly jaunty hat can now get you sent off for enhanced interrogation...
    and you believed your 'mate's' story , come on !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

GarIT wrote: »
    I've found a lot of people from Cork treat people from Dublin very badly, once they find out you are from Dublin they become very hostile and if you are in a pub want to spend all night telling you how Cork is the real capital and how Dublin is ruining the country.

This is a universal thing though. Go to the UK and you'll find that same attitude towards Londoners - "she thinks she's better than us because she lives in London now"...go to the US and New Yorkers will face the same thing "well la-dee-da, you're a New Yorker now are you..."

People love to hate the capital/most prosperous city in any country, much like they love to moan about public transport or their politicians. Quite often it's the "second biggest" cities that have those kinds of attitudes in the highest doses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

Are people really sure that Cork people were being rude to them? They are fairly impossible to understand with the way they speak and that accent. Might just be they come across rude...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭LushiousLips

Ah lads how can ye say that about us Corkonions. We're the salt of the earth, like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

Dublin, the whole place is up their own arse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Ennis Town co Clare on a night out can be very Hostile and full of Rude People.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

there is nice and rude people everywhere but by far the most ignorant rude drivers on the road are in Dublin .

I honestly hate driving in Dublin id rather go through London . Its not the traffic its the aggressiveness and pure ignorance and violence towards other drivers there that is ridiculous

some parts of Dublin have sum very Obnoxious unpleasant very rude people. like when you queuing to see a concerts in Dublin the local Dublin people saying top of there voices the all up from the Country rednecks look at all the farmers .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

some parts of Dublin have sum very Obnoxious unpleasant very rude people. like when you queuing to see a concerts in Dublin the local Dublin people saying top of there voices the all up from the Country rednecks look at all the farmers .

I thought the Garth Brooks gigs were cancelled :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'm not from Cork but I live here, it cracks me up that people (almost always Dubs) think that the whole Real Capital etc stuff is deadly serious. Sure Cork people are proud of their city and county (and having just moved from Galway it's refreshing that that pride is backed up by things to be proud of rather than sustained by pure hot air) but Jesus Christ lads it's a JOKE like. And it does get dialled up to eleven for Dubs because it gets such a rise.

I once spent an afternoon insisting to my brother that the Cure song Lovecats was about dogs who love cats. Would have given up in five minutes if he'd just rolled his eyes and ignored me but he started getting wound up and trying to prove me wrong. All ye jackeens with your Cork jealousy and your notions are him in this scenario.

I am shocked Cork seem to have Rudest People in Ireland so Far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Galway has some of the Rudest People in Ireland by far. and how the staff in hotels speak to Customers I had a few bad experiences there and the Driving there very Rude drivers.

Really ? I am a blow in & 16 years in Galway. I think that the people here are the friendliest in the World, let alone in Ireland & I am well traveled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm from Kerry but have lived in Cork for the past 5 years, also went to college here for 5 years when I lived between Cork and Kerry. My other half is also from Cork. I've never come across the "real capital" thing. Maybe it's something people from Cork say to people from Dublin? :confused:

In general I've found Cork people are grand. You'd get the odd prick, but that's the same anywhere.

The only time a noticed a difference between Cork and Kerry people (apart from the accent) is when I was waitressing in a Cork pub/restaurant when I was in college. The customers seemed a lot ruder and didn't treat us waitresses as they as nice as they do in Kerry. Got a weird vibe off them. Maybe it was just the place I was working in. Although I had worked in about 3 or 4 different places in Kerry before that and all the clientele were grand. Found it a bit odd. Only stayed working there for about 4 months and then went back to working weekends in Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yeah exactly. Lots of really decent sound Dublin Bus drivers. Dunno what the genetalisation about all Dublin Bus drivers being rude is about.

Correct "Sollth of de Eeeeartt" lads they are .

Never pronounce a short vowel when it should be short or a long vowel when it should be long

nah juuuust reveeeeeerse everything....... knoworameyan

Mooooooooordher so it is, mooooooooordher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Old people in every county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I think some South Side Dublin bints are the worse I've encountered, both old and young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I think for people from Cork and Dublin, particularly the South Side of Dublin and Cork city in general, they might get the impression that pretty much the whole rest of the country is rude when it's actually that their accent is just considered really grating.

I'm from Clare and over the summer I was heading out to the pub at home and some guy walked in talking about how they'd decided to pork the cor and walk dewn instead, you could feel the whole room just flinch and go "ah feck". He probably didn't find people friendly at all and came away with a far different impression than someone else would have, which is unfortunate. With that accent as well it's as much the associations and prejudices people have as the actual sound of it, though it does sound horrible.

I'm back living in Cork about three months and I'm just about used to the accent again, as in my ears are only slightly bleeding :P

Discodog wrote: »
    Really ? I am a blow in & 16 years in Galway. I think that the people here are the friendliest in the World, let alone in Ireland & I am well traveled.
    That is my experience plus other people Have said this to me to how very rude sum people are in Galway City. I will give sum examples a friend of mine he is from Cork and people in Galway with top off the voices listen to the Kerry accent on him and he said I am from Cork and the told him go back home. This is True and shocking story a group of very respectable ladies from limerick where on a nite out in Galway and Men where trying there best to Score with them and when the Men did not get there way the told them get back to stab city and then there was men from Dublin Men the joined in shocking Behaviour. and the way hotel and b+b staff sum of them are the most Rudest people I have meet in my Life in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

dublin

Did you ever meet Rude Kerry Man? that is hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I think for people from Cork and Dublin, particularly the South Side of Dublin and Cork city in general, they might get the impression that pretty much the whole rest of the country is rude when it's actually that their accent is just considered really grating.

I'm from Clare and over the summer I was heading out to the pub at home and some guy walked in talking about how they'd decided to pork the cor and walk dewn instead, you could feel the whole room just flinch and go "ah feck". He probably didn't find people friendly at all and came away with a far different impression than someone else would have, which is unfortunate. With that accent as well it's as much the associations and prejudices people have as the actual sound of it, though it does sound horrible.

I'm back living in Cork about three months and I'm just about used to the accent again, as in my ears are only slightly bleeding :P

Very wise post.

I once was rude to a Southside woman who asked me in a pub was the seat opposite me unoccupied (it clearly was). Told her no and to piss off.

No reason for it except the accent - she was just asking a question buy it just sounded more demanding I think. Anyway bad show from me. I still regret that. Her face fell.

boombang wrote: »
    I think some South Side Dublin bints are the worse I've encountered, both old and young.
    the way sum people from South Side of Dublin. look down on people from the from North side of Dublin like there a lower class and subhuman is so wrong and very Rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Galway has some of the Rudest People in Ireland by far. and how the staff in hotels speak to Customers I had a few bad experiences there and the Driving there very Rude drivers.

Their ratio of students & hipsters to normal people is high alright.
    This relates to this thread how exactly?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Having lived in Cork for years, in my experience the casual decency of the people I came across was one of the stand out memories I have of the place, and one of the reasons why it is my favourite Irish city to visit....these would have been people who would have had no idea where I came from...

It is a not county thing by the way...it is a class thing....

Stay away from that particular class of individual who comes from the entitlement class...generally pig ignorant individuals, loud and laced with a complete lack of self awareness evident on beaches/concerts/festivals everywhere....

And above all else, stay away from the outrageously pretentious Irish people who come from all counties/towns/cities, who are the most mannerless/charmless/insincere individuals you will meet...

• Site Banned Posts: 6 smug_dude

whoever said galway people are the friendliest in the world must have lived quite a sheltered life , the city doesnt count as its most inhabited by blow ins from other parts of ireland and the world

county galway is the most clannish place on earth , once the locals have the facts about you ( and they want them ) , you become invisible , they are also the worst in the country for charging through the nose for everything !

This relates to this thread how exactly?
    I was in Galway City and Salt hill looking for hotel b+b in around 2004/2005 looking for a nite to stay and the b+b in Salt hill and when I rang the bell the People staff open and where so dam rude. The and slam the door in my face where full house in Rude way and this happened to us a number of times. and I questioned why the hotel b+b did not put up a sign we are full and the said where full in Rude Mannered way . and we where a long side sum American Tourist who where also looking for sum where to stay and the said to me the are the most Rudest people the have ever meet in Ireland so Far. and Galway drivers are very aggressive Rude Drivers on the roundabouts near the city .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I remember getting the train to Cork about 7 years ago. They had a billboard up about Cork being one of the top ten cities to visit according that the Lonely Planet. Saw another then from Newstalk promoting their Cork studio saying when "Cork talks, Ireland listens." I thought they were promoting Cork but these billboards were in the city! Just to remind Corkonians how great they are, in case they forgot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

If I leave dublin it's generally either for work, which means I'm busy, or I'm having fun scooping or doing an activity.

And I hate people who are busy or who are having fun.

So I can understand why people from outside dunlin might be rude to me. It doesn't mean the county is rude.

also they're jealous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Reati wrote: »
    Everyone in this thread clearly have never been in Carlow. It's a bitter place full of people angry all the factory jobs left and a bypass to Dublin was built around them.

They spit venom down there.

I have to admit I've never been to Carlow, and can't really imagine any reason to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Discodog wrote: »
    That is my experience plus other people Have said this to me to how very rude sum people are in Galway City. I will give sum examples a friend of mine he is from Cork and people in Galway with top off the voices listen to the Kerry accent on him and he said I am from Cork and the told him go back home. This is True and shocking story a group of very respectable ladies from limerick where on a nite out in Galway and Men where trying there best to Score with them and when the Men did not get there way the told them get back to stab city and then there was men from Dublin Men the joined in shocking Behaviour. and the way hotel and b+b staff sum of them are the most Rudest people I have meet in my Life in Galway.

Cracking story, would read again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

All of Ireland is rude. It's amazing.

Having been to Japan, where there is a mentality of cooperation, its amazing what they can achieve.

boombang wrote: »
    What would you expect from a pigs only a grunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Galway people 100%. Not a fan of the place at all. They have notions.
    Cork people a close second..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Cork people are so lovely - always funny and warm,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Parchment wrote: »
    Cork people are so lovely - always funny and warm,

Especially when you set them on fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Elemonator wrote: »
    Having been to Japan, where there is a mentality of cooperation, its amazing what they can achieve.

Side effects of radiation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Lots of Cork begrudgers on this thread.

That would infer Corkonians believe the rest of us somehow feel jealous or inferior of the glorious rebel county......... which sort of proves the point a lot of us are making!
    All ye jackeens with your Cork jealousy and your notions are him in this scenario.

I'm flattered I come off as so cosmopolitan as to be a Jackeen but shure I'm from a windy hill in rural Carlow!

Tbh, Roy Keane. I don't think another county could produce a guy like him. Great player an all, but christ, an insufferable arsehole whose superiority complex is only balanced out by the enormous chip on his shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I am from Cork, I've spend a lot of time in Dublin and Galway and to be honest I haven't found any of these places particularly rude. You will find rude people everywhere but in general people are friendly and will go out of their way to help you. The same is true for any where I've been in this country. As a country generally we are not known to be rude.

My main gripe is with peoples behaviour on public transport.....and I hate to say it but it seems to be a particular class of people that thinks it is okay to blast their ****ty music from their phone for everyone on the bus to hear. Similar experience when the Luas made a stop in Tallagh and a group of girls got on who thought the whole train would enjoy them screaming Rihanna songs...of course everyone was too polite to say anything.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement