Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Counties in Ireland with the Rudest People and why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Agricola wrote: »
    That would infer Corkonians believe the rest of us somehow feel jealous or inferior of the glorious rebel county......... which sort of proves the point a lot of us are making
    You keep harping on about Cork, why does it bother you so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

I always found Cork rural folk to be very open and friendly. Love visiting Cork.
    Go to rural wexford/kilkenny and the back will be bitten off of you and by god if Mary and family next door can get a new car we can to Michael...!

Michael: but but Mary's husband is a accountant I only earn half the wage as he does.....

Wife: I don't care,,!!We ARE getting a new car next year weather we can afford it or not..!!. I'm not having them thinking we can't afford one...

This is the story of rural Ireland in Kilkenny/Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

People in cities tend to be obnoxious especially if they come from the country and try to mimic the city folk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Omackeral wrote: »
    Londonderry.
    Aye , the people of Derry are nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I always found Cork rural folk to be very open and friendly. Love visiting Cork.
    Go to rural wexford/kilkenny and the back will be bitten off of you and by god if Mary and family next door can get a new car we can to Michael...!

Michael: but but Mary's husband is a accountant I only earn half the wage as he does.....

Wife: I don't care,,!!We ARE getting a new car next year weather we can afford it or not..!!. I'm not having them thinking we can't afford one...

This is the story of rural Ireland in Kilkenny/Wexford.

I'll be nicer to you the next time you pop by :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

From going to GAA games Tipperary breeds a special ignorant class of people.
    Killnascully could nearly be described as a documentary!

It actually is. I live it. Everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Dublin, I suppose but it's an easy target. It's really the only city in the country and with that come a lot of a$$holes. I've been living in a much bigger city than Dublin (when Dubs talk sh1te about smaller towns in Ireland such as the rich parts of Cork aren't even that nice...remember there are other cities in the world that are bigger and nicer than Dublin. Should they look down on Dublin for that?) for about 6 years now but still find some of the scumbags in Dublin are worse than here. They act with impunity. They seem to know the Gardai won't do a thing or the judge will just let them go. Having said that, some of the nicest people I've known in Ireland are from Dublin. My wife who's not Irish also had the most positive experience with Dubs the first time we visited Ireland together.

I haven't spent much time in Cork city. Seems like an odd place to me. The people were a bit odd. I remember the last time I was there for any amount of time, there were anarchist signs all around the place. The people I have met in the rural parts were very nice. Some of the nicest I have met in Ireland. Very sing songy voices, not the loud boisterous stereotypes.

Lived in Galway for 26 years. There are a lot of gobsh1tes. Like somebody said there is a very young population there. Mostly students or people who have made unemployment a lifestyle. If you go there during the summer, it's usually great (except during the Galway Races). The actual people of Galway are very nice and I would buy into them being the nicest in Ireland. I spent 15 of those years in a rural part of Ireland and the people were very nice. The comment earlier about them wanting to know everything about you...that's most rural places (even outside of Ireland). It's up to you whether you play that game.

I'll throw Roscommon into the mix, simply because they voted against gay marriage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I'm from Kerry but have lived in Cork for the past 5 years, also went to college here for 5 years when I lived between Cork and Kerry. My other half is also from Cork. I've never come across the "real capital" thing. Maybe it's something people from Cork say to people from Dublin? :confused:

I'm from Cork and also lived in Dublin for a few years. I've never heard a Cork person refer to it as the "real capital" either in Cork or Dublin but have heard plenty of Dublibners use that term during the time i lived there. But as anyone who's spent any significant amount of time in Dublin will know, the place is full of gob****es.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Tipperary.....without a doubt. The dogs have more class.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I have to admit I've never been to Carlow, and can't really imagine any reason to go there.

I love Carlow. It's one of my favourite places to fly over!

No seriously, it's just like any other bog standard town in Ireland. Full of potato headed muck savages that sound like they were raised by a pack of badgers. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

Dublin, quite easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

zetalambda wrote: »
    I love Carlow. It's one of my favourite places to fly over!

No seriously, it's just like any other bog standard town in Ireland. Full of potato headed muck savages that sound like they were raised by a pack of badgers. :pac:

At least you can fcuk your rubbish into the ditch tho and save on bin costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Ennis Town co Clare on a night out can be very Hostile and full of Rude People.
    I think most towns in the country are the same especially with alcohol in them. I see it most weekends when I go to collect my son and daughter after a night out. As for the rudest people I would say Dublin going by the people I met.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Similar experience when the Luas made a stop in Tallagh and a group of girls got on who thought the whole train would enjoy them screaming Rihanna songs...of course everyone was too polite to say anything.

Tallaght is the last luas stop, so how could it stop to let people on there? If it was going the opposite way (to the city) then Tallaght would be the first stop...

So how did it make a stop it Tallaght?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

My pick would be Belfast, we can count the north as well?

My reason for Belfast is because I find the people to be unfriendly and cold, I'm mixed blood and I found that a lot of people look at me. I have never had this experience in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Dublin, Galway and Cork seem to be 'winning' so far . . .
    I've worked and travelled all over Ireland.
    Overall, in general terms, my worst experiences have been with Mayo, Limerick, Kilkenny, Belfast and Dublin people.
    I have met people with manners from all those places though. They must find it hard living there at times.
    More generalisations - I find younger people are either very rude or very decent. Older people are more of a mixed bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Cork people are sound tbh.

It's just that the Corkonian sense of humour is snarky, passive aggressive, dry as a desert and sarcastic, but in this weirdly ironic way. I think a lot of Dubs or lads out Wesht can find this off putting; thinking that they're talking to this passive aggressive, bitchy talk behind your back effeminate lad, when they're actually not.

You play along, or are wired like that kind of humor and Cork lads are the funniest bunch of lads you'll ever come across.

Think the sarcastic priest from Father Ted, and you're close enough. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

My reason for Belfast is because I find the people to be unfriendly and cold, I'm mixed blood and I found that a lot of people look at me. I have never had this experience in Dublin

Had the misfortune to do a stint in a call center years ago which served the UK market and by far the crankiest fúckers I ever had to deal with were people from NI.
    If I heard, for example, a Newcastle accent (NE England that is), I knew straight away that the company could have kidnapped this person's child and demanded a million pound ransom and they would still be unfailingly polite and decent on the phone. Northern Irish people on the other hand, well they just used to ring up for a row when they were bored on a Tuesday night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

I'd have to go with Belfast too. Most places you might meet 1 or 2 rude people, but in Belfast the majority of people I encountered were rude. Won't be returning.
    I'm surprised Dublin is being mentioned so much here, rarely do I meet rude people in Dublin, not even the bus drivers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

As a former taxi base controller which served Dublin I can undoubtedly state the rudest people are from d4. Remember this one lad who I couldn't send a taxi too as he was on the street and not a regular and he proceeds to say do you know who I am. Which I obviously replied somebody who isn't getting a taxi from me. He wasn't anybody other than spoilt rich kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭elstingeo

I'm from Dublin and some Dubliners can be rude alright. Although there are some rude people in all counties. I often find when I go somewhere and whoever finds out I'm from Dublin act odd or passive aggressive.

Although with that said, I've found extremely cold, rude, patronising and arrogant people in Belfast and other parts of the North. Not that I have a problem with the north as I have also met very hospitable and friendly people there so it's 50/50 really.

Cork can be rude and smart alright. As can Kerry, the deeper you go the more bizzare it is.

But thankfully I've met some very nice people so it balances out the rude ones for sure.

a county is just a medieval fiefdom. Ireland is one of the most centralised and cohesive countries in the western world with no federal substructure, and any notion that there can be variations of personalities along county border just seems to me to be unbelievable.

However I'm a Tipperary man so my final answer is Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

My Dad hates Jackeens as a rule, I try not to follow his prejudice but I still find myself becoming irritated when I'm around a group of Dubs.
    You don't see how that attitude would rub off on the dubs you're around?

Don't really think there is a county with the friendliest or least friendly people, it's all circumstantial. If you're from Dublin dubs would seem fine, but if you find yourself down the country as evidenced, you'll find people who have their minds mare up and hate you simply for the fact you're from Dublin. Haven't met many dubs with that attitude towards culchies, I'm sure there are some, but not at the same ratio as the reverse of it. Then again, the vast majority of the time people won't care if you're from Cork, mayo, Dublin or Donegal.

Billy86 wrote: »

Don't really think there is a county with the friendliest or least friendly people, it's all circumstantial. If you're from Dublin dubs would seem fine, but if you find yourself down the country as evidenced, you'll find people who have their minds mare up and hate you simply for the fact you're from Dublin. Haven't met many dubs with that attitude towards culchies, I'm sure there are some, but not at the same ratio as the reverse of it. Then again, the vast majority of the time people won't care if you're from Cork, mayo, Dublin or Donegal.

The fact that he still call's us jackeens say's it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

gifted wrote: »
    Tipperary.....without a doubt. The dogs have more class.

Well there is a classy comment 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

You do know Belfast is not a county right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Armagh, especially those from close to the border. Bug-eyed inbreds with a penchant for violence and denim jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Carlow and Laois jointly wins for me. Rough begruding vacous people who are hostile and nosey and judmental.
    Rural Ireland has some profoundly ignorant people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

JamboMac wrote: »

Just like some Dublin people who still refer to non Dublin people as 'culchies' says it all, in this small, parochial, inward looking country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Dubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Another one against Cork here. A greater bunch of rude, sleeveen, pig ignorant, rude & arrogant prix you'll find no where.

Second is my own dear Dublin :( But at least we're just rude without the arrogance and sleeveen'ness of Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Belfast can be very grim and people there seem rude and caught up in their own struggles. I guess because the place was a war zone only a few decades ago and not used to tourism, it will take a while to extend a warm welcome to others..

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Billy86 wrote: »

When you have to resort to calling people 'culchies' then your argument loses a lot of weight.

Agreed, it's a silly, pejorative, outdated term.

One thing always confused me as to why cork claim to be the true capital but it was one of them who assassinated one of the men who got us our freedom.
    Confirmation that Denis ‘Sonny’ O’Neill , a native of West Cork, took part in the ambush is contained in files from the Military Archives released yesterday

There had been rumours since 1922 that O’Neill, a trained marksman who fought in the British Army in the First World War, was the one who fired the fatal shot.

One thing always confused me as to why cork claim to be the true capital but it was one of them who assassinated one of the men who got us our freedom.

Read the thread again. It's Dubliners that always call Cork the "real capital"! :)

Cork people call it the rebel county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Agricola wrote: »
    Had the misfortune to do a stint in a call center years ago which served the UK market and by far the crankiest fúckers I ever had to deal with were people from NI.
    If I heard, for example, a Newcastle accent (NE England that is), I knew straight away that the company could have kidnapped this person's child and demanded a million pound ransom and they would still be unfailingly polite and decent on the phone. Northern Irish people on the other hand, well they just used to ring up for a row when they were bored on a Tuesday night!

Read the thread again. It's Dubliners that always call Cork the "real capital"! :)

i'm pretty sure Dubliners have only ever quoted what cork people claim.

i'm pretty sure Dubliners have only ever quoted what cork people claim.

To be fair...Dubliners have always followed what Cork people tell them lol lol

gifted wrote: »
    To be fair...Dubliners have always followed what Cork

:confused: care to finish your sentence.

• Advertisement

:confused: care to finish your sentence.

Just saw that lol

I've never heard anyone refer to Cork as anything other than ........ eh ........ Cork.

I've heard Cork called the "Real Capital" etc. on tv/radio in a comedic manner but only ever by a comedian/person from Cork or doing a Cork accent ........ most Dubliners wouldn't even recognise the phrase/joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Can't stand nordies in general. Had the mispleasure to play rugby against ulster clubs more times than I care to remember. I generally don't dislike people but we were never made feel welcome to their clubs like we would in the Republic. Up their own holes so many of them. Massive chips on their shoulders. I would have played against the south Dublin clubs from areas that get a bad rep here about being up their own holes but found them all grand.

bmwguy wrote: »
    Can't stand nordies in general. Had the mispleasure to play rugby against ulster clubs more times than I care to remember. I generally don't dislike people but we were never made feel welcome to their clubs like we would in the Republic. Up their own holes so many of them. Massive chips on their shoulders.

Have to agree, the Nordies are difficult to be around at best .......... bunch of vile c*nts if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

I have a friend who went in to labour and drove from Sligo to Cork to make sure that the child was born in Cork. Planned in advance even under warning from the obstetrician she was seeing - apart from the risk of the lengthy drive there was a break from the continuity of care with the people who had monitored the pregnancy; a first baby too but yet the 'Cork' thing was so significant that the childs health was risked for 'place of birth' on a passport. I have found people of Cork often quite arrogant in terms of sense of importance in a 'more Irish' than any other Irish way. Not all but often enough to be of note. It goes beyond pride and in to arrogance or a sense of superiority which is best ignored or treated with some contempt - the 'real rebels' lol.

The other rude group of people I have experienced and in a similar sense of self importance as above has been in the Gaeltacht areas. Native Irish speakers often looked down on those of us who have taken an interest to learn how to speak Irish. I couldnt be bothered with being patronised so left the Irish Society when at University. I thought it was a place to improve spoken Irish skills but those not from the Gaeltacht areas were ignored by those who had Irish as a functional first language. Funny thing is if visiting the Gaeltacht as a tourist you wouldnt meet more helpful people. If reasonable at Irish but not from the area dont bother trying as you'll get a laughsnort for your efforts.

South Armagh people I find rude and agressive especially in a demanding way. I work front line for the NHS in Northern Ireland and there is a difference between making sure a loved family member is been cared for properly and threatening people if things go wrong. More often than not police are on standby for security of staff when such threats happen and there is a pattern. A reputation, whether legit or not, is used to intimidate. For obvious reasons from over the last 35 years they have a suspicion of 'outsiders' and of the system be it health, taxation, policing, planning authorities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Carlow and Laois jointly wins for me. Rough begruding vacous people who are hostile and nosey and judmental.
    Rural Ireland has some profoundly ignorant people.

as a Laois person there is no jointly about It. Laois is the outright winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Have to agree, the Nordies are difficult to be around at best .......... bunch of vile c*nts if I'm honest.

Touch of irony there considering your username with Messrs McGlinchey and Adair also using that nickname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

MadDog76 wrote: »

Plenty of ignorant people around where I am from and everywhere really. But I just don't associate with them but the Nordies actually approached us trying to be difficult. And when they came to our club they would be as bad. Trying to get bar to take sterling happens every single time an ulster club comes. We never try to spend euro up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Kerry people

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

Nesta99 wrote: »

South Armagh people I find rude and agressive especially in a demanding way. I work front line for the NHS in Northern Ireland and there is a difference between making sure a loved family member is been cared for properly and threatening people if things go wrong. More often than not police are on standby for security of staff when such threats happen and there is a pattern. A reputation, whether legit or not, is used to intimidate. For obvious reasons from over the last 35 years they have a suspicion of 'outsiders' and of the system be it health, taxation, policing, planning authorities etc.

Wait , do you mean they would threaten the people in charge of the care of their family member ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement