Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Counties in Ireland with the Rudest People and why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Dubliners call all the pepole who are not from Dublin boggers?culchie? why do a lot of Dubliners do this Rude name calling?:confused:

I'm from the country and proud to be a culchie!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

My Mother and Me where in Dublin about 5 years and 3 Dubliners Men ask where we where from and next the called us redneck culchie boggers from the outside Dublin. next my mother said to them I am from London so are you rednecks culchie boggers to me . The Dublin Men Went so quiet and looked at each other in amazement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

My Mother and Me where in Dublin about 5 years and 3 Dubliners Men ask where we where from and next the called us redneck culchie boggers from the outside Dublin. next my mother said to them I am from London so are you rednecks culchie boggers to me . The Dublin Men Went so quiet and looked at each other in amazement.

Was this how it was actually said? Jaysus wept! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

In the north I think people are a lot more wary and unfriendly, not everywhere now, but certainly in Belfast. Of course there are obvious reasons for it, but it doesn't make visitors feel at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Billy86 wrote: »
    They'd want to stop referring to themselves as the same so!
    Yes but when they do it, it's ironic!

Also, don't assume everyone from rural Ireland calls himself/herself a 'culchie' - I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

:( Ah no. What happened to you in Meath?

Probably banned from the Palace in an argument over the 046 area code :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

a lot of Dubliners People can be very rude to people who are from outside Dublin. saying things like any place out side Dublin is backwards and full of redneck farmers culchie?. lot of Dubliners do not like Cork People why is this?

Their lack of linguistic skills.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Leitrim is another county but inbreeding is the issue here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Irish people are c*nts in general, so it's only natural that Dublin and Cork will be popular mentions. Being from Cork I can safely say there are an abundance of assholes around the place, both city and county but that is the case all over the country. Anyone who seriously thinks one place is worse than another is more than likely a chief c*nt themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 maurice o donoghue

Galway uptight fucckers worked with lot of them long day working with them cunnts don't want to talk never mind laugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Dublin Pintman

Galway.

The country people are unbelievably clannish and the city is mixture of dole artists, manchildren, eternal students and self declared 'old stock' bitching about the blow ins.

City needs to be MOAB'd imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

There are two types of people. People who are c**ts and people who are sound. That's it. It doesn't matter where they are from.

Nenagh co Tipperary a lot of Rude people there and the Garda are so Rude there. has to be the most unwelcome town ever its like out of movie first blood 1982 with Sylvester Stallone as John Rambo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Vita nova wrote: »
    Yes but when they do it, it's ironic!

Also, don't assume everyone from rural Ireland calls himself/herself a 'culchie' - I don't.
    I don't recall saying I did, but then again different strokes for different folks - I don't get offended when people say 'Dubs' personally, but some well might.

A lot of Rude people in Shannon Town Co Clare little Belfast full of people from north Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

seachto7 wrote: »
    There are two types of people. People who are c**ts and people who are sound. That's it. It doesn't matter where they are from.

A lot of the former in Wexford ,mind.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

......... wrote: »
    I don't think most people understand the concept of stereotyping
    Indeed.
    I worked with a gang from Cavan for about 2 years in London.
    You couldn't meet a more decent and good-natured bunch.
    They were also the wittiest bunch I ever met. Great laughs.

I don't recall saying I did, but then again different strokes for different folks - I don't get offended when people say 'Dubs' personally, but some well might.
    Why would you be offended, Dub is short for Dubliner, there's nothing implicitly pejorative in it, but just in case anyone would be offended I don't use it.

Using culchie* isn't even remotely similar, there's no such region or socio-geographic grouping... it's slang and is applied arbitrarily to different groups.

Definitions of Culchie:
    -Oxford English Dictionary (OED): "one who lives in, or comes from, a rural area; a (simple) countryman (or woman), a provincial, a rustic"
    -Dicitionary.com: "a rough or unsophisticated country-dweller from outside Dublin"
    -Google: "an unsophisticated country person"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Biggest arseholes - Dubs

In terms of being stuck up their own hole - Kilkenny . So two faced it's unbelievable.

Galway not being too Far behind.

I have relations in nearly all the 32 counties so I really can vouch for what I'm saying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

deadybai wrote: »
    Biggest arseholes - Dubs

In terms of being stuck up their own hole - Kilkenny . So two faced it's unbelievable.

Galway not being too Far behind.

I have relations in nearly all the 32 counties so I really can vouch for what I'm saying

Is it your relations the rest of us are dodging.:P

• Advertisement

Culchie it is considered a derogatory term by Dubliners of people from out side Dublin . how many people have being called Culchie by Dublin people with heads like potato spud headz .

Culchie it is considered a derogatory term by Dubliners of peopele from out side Dublin.

It's funny as a kid to be honest it never meant a negative thing as such. It was more describing somebody as being from the country just not specifying a region as such.

I don't know whether most dubliners necessarily see as calling somebody a redneck. My niece will call her brother a culchie quite openly and their both from meath, but he has a proper accent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Tipp for me, they really dont like outsiders. They look at you like you have two heads in the small towns.

irishman86 wrote: »
    Tipp for me, they really dont like outsiders. They look at you like you have two heads in the small towns.
    outsiders keep out you are not welcome in tipp .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Kildare.....but ive only ever encountered 1 or 2 rude

Dunno where all this hate for the dubs is from....I went to fas with a rake of em...and more sound people Ya'd not meet.most were alot sounder than people from the country... (plenty of slagging/joking...but none of it was mean spirited)

Dubliners calling people from out side Dublin bleeding culchie. and most people in Dublin think this is okay how rude from the Dublin people how would the like if culchie where call them Dublin Jackeens.

Dubliners calling people from out side Dublin bleeding culchie. and most people in Dublin think this is okay how rude from the Dublin people how would the like if culchie where call them Dublin Jackeens.

It's only bit of a laugh like?

If this counts as being rude....then everyone is rude to me everywhere

So soon enough are we gonna have a thing where only people from the country can call each other culchies and we have to refer to it as the C word?

A quick question who invented the word shift, it just sounds wrong in context?

JamboMac wrote: »
    So soon enough are we gonna have a thing where only people from the country can call each other culchies and we have to refer to it as the C word?

A quick question who invented the word shift, it just sounds wrong in context?
    calling people culchies is very rude and not a nice when your not from the big smoke Dublin.why do dubs dislike culchies so much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

seachto7 wrote: »
    Was this how it was actually said? Jaysus wept! :pac:

They went quiet because they didn't understand a ****in' word of it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Counties in Ireland with Rudest People and why?
    Galway has some of the Rudest People in Ireland by far.
    Ennis Town co Clare on a night out can be very Hostile and full of Rude People.
    some parts of Dublin have sum very Obnoxious unpleasant very rude people.
    Did you ever meet Rude Kerry Man? that is hard to beat.
    Nenagh co Tipperary a lot of Rude people there and the Garda are so Rude there.
    A lot of Rude people in Shannon Town Co Clare little Belfast full of people from north Ireland.

So 'everywhere' is the answer you're giving...to your own question.

calling people culchies is very rude and not a nice when your not from the big smoke Dublin.why do dubs dislike culchies so much ?

Bolded sentence kind of confusing, as for dubs not liking culchies. I wouldn't say that at all as lots of us are descended from them.

we don't get offended by being called jackeens either it's more confusing. I think most country people are jealous of dublin because of the jobs etc and feel like we somehow turn our back on the rest of the country for our benefit.

Omackeral wrote: »
    So 'everywhere' is the answer you're giving...to your own question.
    32 Counties in Ireland not 4.

Bolded sentence kind of confusing, as for dubs not liking culchies. I wouldn't say that at all as lots of us are descended from them.

we don't get offended by being called jackeens either it's more confusing. I think most country people are jealous of dublin because of the jobs etc and feel like we somehow turn our back on the rest of the country for our benefit.
    Dublin Ireland and the rest of Ireland is in the sticks a lot of people seem to think this from Dublin.

32 Counties in Ireland not 4.

6 counties in that quote :confused:

Clare Tipperary Kerry Man parts of Dublin Galway that is five counties out of 32 so 27 counties. I have never meet a rude person from any of the 27 counties of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Clare Tipperary Kerry Man parts of Dublin Galway that is five counties out of 32 so 27 counties. I have never meet a rude person from any of the 27 counties of Ireland.

Don't forget *Co. Antrim!!! :D

*That's where Belfast is by the way ........... you actually said "North people" as well so that would add on 6 Counties, 11 in total!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Omackeral wrote: »
    Londonderry.

I thought that said LondonKerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Wanderlust91

You're either a cnut or sound, it doesn't matter where you are from I reckon. Bigger populated areas have more people thus the increased chance of meeting an arsehole, I think this is why Cork and Dublin are mentioned alot. Saying that I worked with a girl from Dublin in a call center in Australia and she said once "no offence, your lot of people are all over Australia", anyone not from Dooblin :). Went for an interview with the Army in Cork years ago, the MP at the gate checked me in and asked where I came from, when I said Clare, he asked where was that ? and that he had never heard of it in a real arrogant voice :). Two memories of our capitals I dont hold fondly :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

You're either a cnut or sound, it doesn't matter where you are from I reckon. Bigger populated areas have more people thus the increased chance of meeting an arsehole, I think this is why Cork and Dublin are mentioned alot. Saying that I worked with a girl from Dublin in a call center in Australia and she said once "no offence, your lot of people are all over Australia", anyone not from Dooblin :). Went for an interview with the Army in Cork years ago, the MP at the gate checked me in and asked where I came from, when I said Clare, he asked where was that ? and that he had never heard of it in a real arrogant voice :). Two memories of our capitals I dont hold fondly :)

Is "Clare" a place or your Mother's name? Genuine question .......

The question may not be genuine! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Why would you be offended, Dub is short for Dubliner, there's nothing implicitly pejorative in it, but just in case anyone would be offended I don't use it.

Using culchie* isn't even remotely similar, there's no such region or socio-geographic grouping... it's slang and is applied arbitrarily to different groups.

Definitions of Culchie:
    -Oxford English Dictionary (OED): "one who lives in, or comes from, a rural area; a (simple) countryman (or woman), a provincial, a rustic"
    -Dicitionary.com: "a rough or unsophisticated country-dweller from outside Dublin"
    -Google: "an unsophisticated country person"
    Etymology: apparently an alteration of Kiltimagh (Irish Coillte Mach), the name of a country town in County Mayo, Ireland.

Etymology: apparently an alteration of Kiltimagh (Irish Coillte Mach), the name of a country town in County Mayo, Ireland.
    One of many theories.
    Another one is that it comes from cúl an tí as in the Irish for the back of a house...
    Another is that it's derived from the word 'agriculture'...
    A more recent one is that it comes from an old French word 'culch' related to the cultivation of oysters in the Malahide area in the 1700s...
    The fact remains that there is nowhere called 'culchie' or any similar sounding name and certainly nowhere that encompasses or represents everyone from rural Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

One of many theories.
    Another one is that it comes from cúl an tí as in the Irish for the back of a house...
    Another is that it's derived from the word 'agriculture'...
    A more recent one is that it comes from an old French word 'culch' related to the cultivation of oysters in the Malahide area in the 1700s...
    The fact remains that there is nowhere called 'culchie' or any similar sounding name and certainly nowhere that encompasses or represents everyone from rural Ireland...

It means thick (I don't think thick as in dopey, just thick) and conservative and sleveenish, according to my culchie colleagues (Kildare/Wicklow/Roscommon/Sligo/Donegal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Sligo. Enough said! :mad:
    Roscommon a close 2nd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Surprised Mayo hasn't been mentioned before. Seem to have a disproportionate number of dikheads, male and female. Sick of this mayo for Sam sh!te as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Nobody is jealous of Dublin, thats just a ridiculous thing to think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

gammygils wrote: »
    Sligo. Enough said! :mad:
    Roscommon a close 2nd!

Sure throw in Leitrim and Mayo and keep connacht for yourselves in Galway!

Ask Stephen Fry about Ennis co Clare Blasphemy investigation of Tvs Stephen Fry following complaint to Ennis Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Agricola wrote: »
    Had the misfortune to do a stint in a call center years ago which served the UK market and by far the crankiest fúckers I ever had to deal with were people from NI.
    If I heard, for example, a Newcastle accent (NE England that is), I knew straight away that the company could have kidnapped this person's child and demanded a million pound ransom and they would still be unfailingly polite and decent on the phone. Northern Irish people on the other hand, well they just used to ring up for a row when they were bored on a Tuesday night!

Funny you should say that I found Belfast people to be aggressive when being served in shops, etc. No politeness from them when being served at till.I get the impression that Northern Irish people are well used to standing up for themselves, maybe a bit too much so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Can't believe Belfast and Nordies are getting mentioned. I've found them to be maybe the soundest people I've met. Very friendly, decent and well mannered.

Most Dubs I've met were very nice to talk to as well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement