Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enjoying Mayo!

Options
  • 29-04-2017 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

When I was first in Ireland, many years ago, I rented a house in Mayo, beyond Ballina and Killala.. Loved it but life took me elsewhere in Ireland.

Now I am near the border of Connemara and Mayo and am so revelling in refinding places loved and just enjoying it all so much!

I needed Dunne's yesterday so as th choice was between Galwaycity and Castlebar.

Lovely friendly town, considerate drivers, etc.

Came back at a leisurely pace, through Westport, then to Louisburg through Murrisk and the Abbey and beach... Peaceful beauty..

Then to find the Silver Strand and than along to Leenane on a road so utterly lovely .

So much beauty!

Small question please . As you leave Murrisk, headed for Louisburg, there are some huge abandoned buildings on the right. Anyone know what they are please? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Graces7 wrote: »
    When I was first in Ireland, many years ago, I rented a house in Mayo, beyond Ballina and Killala.. Loved it but life took me elsewhere in Ireland.

Now I am near the border of Connemara and Mayo and am so revelling in refinding places loved and just enjoying it all so much!

I needed Dunne's yesterday so as th choice was between Galwaycity and Castlebar.

Lovely friendly town, considerate drivers, etc.

Came back at a leisurely pace, through Westport, then to Louisburg through Murrisk and the Abbey and beach... Peaceful beauty..

Then to find the Silver Strand and than along to Leenane on a road so utterly lovely .

So much beauty!

Small question please . As you leave Murrisk, headed for Louisburg, there are some huge abandoned buildings on the right. Anyone know what they are please? Thanks.

Failed hotel project, never completed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Needles73 wrote: »

Ah thanks. There is what looks to be a new bit stuck on the end of what looked like an industrial school complex which is what puzzled me

Lovely place, Murrisk.. Sat at the beach watching horse riding lessons and chatting to a farmer about to "harvest" stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Needles73 wrote: »

Sold recently asfaik, so hopefully see some movement on it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

That property you noticed was originally the Garvey home, with small estate attached. Estate also included some oyster beds. Last of the Garveys was a local solicitor died about 1950. His only son had been killed in WW2.

A relation Rosemary Garvey who lived near Tullabawn wrote a family history.

A local Jim Fair, who had worked in Harvard, ran a hotel there for some years

A Westport developer Tom Joyce built the present hotel block, but it went NAMA before being fitted out.

Murrisk has developed over the years. The Croagh Patrick pilgrimage is not just on one weekend now. There are people on the mountain practically every day. The pubs and the restaurants at the foot and the new hostel are thriving.

Best wishes to the new owners of these premises. When ready will be a great addition to the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

considerate drivers

Please tell me you are joking, some of the worst drivers in the country from what I've experienced so far! No idea how to use roundabouts or indicators.

• Advertisement
Advertisement