Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle against Suicide

Options
  • 29-04-2017 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone doing it this year? anyone on it?

seems to be taking more of a midlands route this time round

http://www.cycleagainstsuicide.com/cycle-suicide-2017/

might do the galway to ennistymon leg myself, weather depending

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Will be doing the last few days. First year doing it and looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm surprised there isn't more replies to this thread, in previous years a thread about CAS would have taken up a few pages

have boardsies fallen out of love with this event?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Have done the last 3 days, Roscommon- Castlebar - Galway - Ennistymon,

Today is my final day, Ennistymon - Limerick.

Yesterday was special, all went up corkscrew hill, then Stopped at the cliffs of moher for a minutes silence. Also the weather was fantastic, a perfect cyclist tan is developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I took part in the last few days, it was an amazing experience. I got to meet some amazing people from all over the world, stayed with some fantastic locals who were very kind to have offered to put people up for a night and got to see some parts of the country on a bike I wouldn't have otherwise.

The talks at the schools in the morning/afternoon were the highlight though. They touched on all different aspects of mental health from a wide variety of people - teachers, students, past pupils, sports personalities... real people who have been affected by mental health issues and some had unfortunately been affected by suicide.

If you're thinking about doing this event just for the cycling, it's not the event for you. Average speed will be about 15-17Km/hr with a lot of stopping/starting so will frustrate some. The cycling part is purely from getting from A to B and is also a bit more striking having hundreds of people cycling through small towns around the country as opposed to having them on a number of buses on a motorway. Each stop will see some students join the cyclists on their bikes and they'll cycle to the next stop.

Looking forward to next year's event already and if there are any SpinOff events this year, I'll try get along to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

Wow who would have thought Sticky Bottle would go tabloid.

Stupid thing to do and if true, he deserves a ban. I'd imagine he's about to be slaughtered in cycling circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

How stupid does someone in his position have to be to do this?
    And the thing about people who get caught drink driving is it's rarely their first time doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

perrier wrote: »
    Wow who would have thought Sticky Bottle would go tabloid.

Stupid thing to do and if true, he deserves a ban. I'd imagine he's about to be slaughtered in cycling circles.
    Wouldn’t call it tabloid , it’s a very dangerous thing to do, and as somebody who is promoting cycling and suicude prevention it’s extremely irresponsible example to be setting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

<Mod Voice> While there is a legal case pending, perhaps best to leave discussion on this specific topic off for now. You've 2 months til the case is heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

ted1 wrote:
    Wouldn’t call it tabloid , it’s a very dangerous thing to do, and as somebody who is promoting cycling and suicude prevention it’s extremely irresponsible example to be setting

Its tabloid. No different than websites wanting you click on a link to a celeb or politicians getting caught.

perrier wrote: »
    Its tabloid. No different than websites wanting you click on a link to a celeb or politicians getting caught.

Yeah they should have buried the story along with the hypocrisy. Nothing to see here.

Advertisement