Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Slang

Options
  • 29-04-2017 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I'm looking for Dublin slang describing food as being tasty. Just say if you had a Starburst sweet and you wanted to say it was full of flavour/delicious how would one from dublin say it ?

For example in cork we'd say " Here Bois, these are savage like" or in Kerry/west "Christ! These yokes are full of juice!"

I just need one for Dublin and up north/Belfast so if anyone had any suggestions it would be great!

FYI this is for a college project.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

"Lovely", or "Gorgeous". Born and bred Northsider, I've never heard any slang in Dublin for describing flavoursome food.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That was 'animal'

kceire wrote: »
    That was 'animal'

is this something used specifically for food?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Slightly NSFW

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Generally someone will put on a Cork accent and kill two birds with one stone; describing the flavor and mocking culchies. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Jaaaasis, dat's bleeeeeeeeedin' rapah

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

"lovely" or "bleedin lovely". Said with a Dublin accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

bleedin massive that is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

"These are wopper they are "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

jdunne08 wrote: »
    I'm looking for Dublin slang

Ask me bollix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

I'm from the inner city Dublin.. we would 100% say this is bleedin massive... probably with an oh mammy thrown in front of it i.e. Oh mammy this is bleedin massive...

Can't help you with the Belfast slang

id bleedin mill tat ot ov it, it's gorgeous

dat burger was bleedin savage so it was

id lamp a hotdog out ov it now so i wud

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

i'd say it was divine

i'd say it was divine
    and totally gorge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

These starburst I stole are bleeding massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can't help you with the Belfast slang

So it's not only Rats and Tomo who can't understand Belfast accents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

That was quality.

That was whopper.

That was bleedin' massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

That's lethal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

coleslaw wrote: »
    dat burger was bleedin savage so it was

Soitwasinallinanyways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

"That hit the spot"? Not quite a description of the food itself, more the post-eating satisfaction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

is this something used specifically for food?

Nope. Can be used to describe a car, party, drink, food, person, thing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Something I only noticed the other day is the juxtaposition of 'what' in Dublin. I'm used to it in the context of the (stereo-typically) very posh.

"Going shooting at the weekend old boy, what!"

I notice it at work:

"I'm getting lashed out of it at the weekend, wha!"

This thread just made me think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Surprised only two people said "massive". That's what most of the fellow Dubs I know would say, my family in particular get very pissed off when I tell them massive means large or huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Surprised only two people said "massive".
    I still consider "massive" to be relatively new slang. I think the first time I heard it was about 15 years ago, then all of a sudden heard it everywhere. First time was ovehearing some loud group of "young wans" on the bus talking about some lad who was "massive", I thought they meant fat at first but they were speaking as though they fancied him -I then thought he had a massive flute and got a around a lot!
    "decco, sure he's bleeding massive!"
    "I fcuking know!"

http://www.dailyedge.ie/dublin-slang-guide-795244-Feb2013/
    I remember when I first moved to Dublin from the country and was in a friends house in ballyfermot and their neighbour who was a somewhat larger lady popped in to show off a new dress she got for a wedding. All the girls started telling her she looked massive. I nearly choked on my tea.

I would also consider savage fairly new. Someone mentioned "lethal", which probably followed from "deadly" which I would think is older slang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

rubadub wrote: »
    I still consider "massive" to be relatively new slang. I think the first time I heard it was about 15 years ago, then all of a sudden heard it everywhere. First time was ovehearing some loud group of "young wans" on the bus talking about some lad who was "massive", I thought they meant fat at first but they were speaking as though they fancied him -I then thought he had a massive flute and got a around a lot!
    "decco, sure he's bleeding massive!"
    "I fcuking know!"

http://www.dailyedge.ie/dublin-slang-guide-795244-Feb2013/

I would also consider savage fairly new. Someone mentioned "lethal", which probably followed from "deadly" which I would think is older slang.

Forgot abut deadly, that's something I've said since I was a kid - "that was bleeding deadly".

Wouldn't think massive was new though, I know my family have said it for as long as I can remember. I'm nearly 40 now and I know that my sisters and mother said it when I was a kid - "That dinner was massive" or "Oh, it's massive out". Lethal is another one I remember now as a teenager mad into what would we now call old school hardcore and techno, "That track was lethal".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

This falafel is rather tasty

So in conclusion, no, there is no specific slam for something tasting good in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

So in conclusion, no, there is no specific slam for something tasting good in Dublin.

Probably not. I don't think "savage" specifically relates to food in Cork either by the way. I've certainly heard the weather being referred to as savage.

Advertisement