Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San maranzo DOP tomatoes

• 29-04-2017 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭

Anybody know where I can find these tinned tomatoes in town that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

In case people are searching this in future I got 3 tins in the country kitchen in the milk market for €2 a tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Is there a noticeable difference when making sauces with these tomatoes?

Treepole wrote: »
    Is there a noticeable difference when making sauces with these tomatoes?

Made a batch of sauce on Saturday and I must say it was a noticeable change to regular tomatoes roasted and cooked down like I'd normally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Dolmio currently €1.50 a jar in Dunnes.

Dolmio currently €1.50 a jar in Dunnes.

Id rather eat the €1.50 tbh. ;)

• Advertisement

I've tried making my own sauce for bolognese from tinned tomatoes but it never tastes great.

Be nice and share your recipe which will hopefully convert me.

I've tried making my own sauce for bolognese from tinned tomatoes but it never tastes great.

Use 3 cans of San maranzo DOP tomatoes, 8 cloves of garlic. Gently cook the finely diced garlic in oil for about 1 minute before it browns. Crush the tomatoes in your hands to remove the stems and cores and add to the garlic along with the juice from the cans. Throw in a few sprigs of fresh basil, rock salt, pepper, two bay leaves and a healthy dash of red wine. Simmer it for about 1 hour stirring occasionally, remove the bay leaf and and it's done.

Use 3 cans of San maranzo DOP tomatoes, 8 cloves of garlic. Gently cook the finely diced garlic in oil for about 1 minute before it browns. Crush the tomatoes in your hands to remove the stems and cores and add to the garlic. Throw in a few sprigs of fresh basil, rock salt, pepper, two bay leaves and a healthy dash of red wine. Simmer it for about 1 hour stirring occasionally, remove the bay leaf and and it's done.
    Happy days. Sounds delicious. Will it freeze and is there any particular wine that i should be using?

Happy days. Sounds delicious. Will it freeze and is there any particular wine that i should be using?

Pop it into clean sterilised jars while hot and close the lids and it will vacuum seal itself. Or freeze it. Any red wine, doesn't matter.

Pop it into clean sterilised jars while hot and close the lids and it will vacuum seal itself. Or freeze it. Any red wine, doesn't matter.
    Cheers OP.
    I will definitely be trying this one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement