Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent advice needed gents on saddle issues

Options
  • 29-04-2017 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I've had my road bike three years and for the first two years, I persisted with the stock Bontrager saddle that came with my Trek. However I never got comfortable on it despite a bike fit by Aidan Hammond. So last year I swapped it for a Brooks B17 and again persisted with it until it was "broken in". However while sore arse syndrome isn't as bad as it was on the Bontrager saddle, I have a different problem now that is even worse and potentially worrying. Over the past week, I've been suffering "bruised balls" syndrome as I feel a lot of discomfort when out on the bike and a dull ache in my testicles for a day afterwards. I rested for a few days and I felt OK with no lingering effects but after this mornings 40km spin (cut short as I was just too uncomfortable) it's back again.

Now the saddle is correctly positioned as per Aidan's measurements, it's level and nothing else has changed on the bike. I've worn a variety of bib tights this week but I've been sore in them all, Galibier, Endura and Sportful.

Not only am I not enjoying the spins on the bike but I'm getting worried by this as soreness and numbness in the testicles isn't right and tbh, it was never a problem before.

Any suggestions as I'm dreading going out on the bike these days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Everyone is different and so it's difficult to recommend a saddle however as your experiencing ball ache I'd recommend a Prologo Kappa Space which has a wide open central channel.

If you do change saddles and still find it uncomfortable after using it 10-15 times then change it as it's not going to get any more comfortable. You persisted far too long with previous saddles.

I'd also recommend going to your doctor and getting yourself checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I would be going to the doctor rather than a bike shop and excuse the pun, the tool kit. Numbness is normally associated with restricted blood flow and it could be that your cycling is agravating a pre-existing condition. Outside of saddle amd set up advice, the thread is going to head towards medical advice and such discussion is prohibited.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You could also consider wider tyres running at lower pressure which kill a lot of road buzz. e.g. if you can fit 28s on a road bike you'll get a smoother ride, I ride 32s on a cross bike which is very comfy. The other thing would be to get someone to look at your riding position. I tend to use the drops quite alot, and lift my ass off the saddle a bit travelling over rougher roads and gravel. Also keeping the elbows bent and grip loose adds some natural damping. Moving around the saddle can also give any part that is getting sore a bit of a rest and happens naturally when you change hand positions.

Saddle wise you could look at an adamo saddle, though never used one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

This problem has just come on this week. I did a 100km spin round Kerry last week and this didn't happen but it started on a 25 km early morning spin this week and again this morning. Think I'll go see the doctor but he'll probably just tell me to lay off the cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had a pain in the nuts when on both of my bikes and it was related to a back problem that my physio fixed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

I bought a Dr. Wittkop Gel Medicus saddle in Lidl's recently and noticed the following points about it. As expected my weight is totally supported on my seat bones on either side. There is no pressure on the perineal area due to a central cutaway portion, as heretofore my original saddle was causing pressure in this area with a subsequent numb feeling.

The most surprising effect of using this saddle was that a long standing sweat rash in the testicle/thigh area cleared up completely within a week or two. Ok, I ride an MTB/hybrid type bike with a slightly wider saddle than a road bike but I guess the mechanics of support are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Thanks for the replies guys.

Been researching saddles on Wiggle and the Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow saddle might be the one for me. Large cut out area in the centre to relieve pressure on the soft tissues but wide enough for my sit bones. I've emailed Aidan Hammond for his thoughts also on my predicament

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Mine was exactly a dull ache, related to lower back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Borderfox wrote: »
    I had a pain in the nuts when on both of my bikes
    I'm not a doctor but my advice would be to only cycle one bike at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I'm not a doctor but my advice would be to only cycle one bike at a time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement