Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avalanches @ The Academy

Options
  • 29-04-2017 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭

Friday, June 16th. Since I Left You is one of my favourite albums. Wildflower was a different sound but no less interesting. They haven't played here since 2001.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

moved to the olympia-thought it was strange that the academy would be the venue of choice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Got two tickets yesterday morning, looking forward to this. I presume I'll just be giving standing tickets in the Olympia instead? Didn't have the option when it was down as the Academy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Got two tickets yesterday morning, looking forward to this. I presume I'll just be giving standing tickets in the Olympia instead? Didn't have the option when it was down as the Academy.

I went to a gig last year after it had been moved from the Academy to the Olympia and i just turned up with my ticket for the Academy and was let in so no need to change

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭mosstin

roll wrote: »
    moved to the olympia-thought it was strange that the academy would be the venue of choice

Even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Moved from Friday June 15th to Thursday June 22nd now, the day before Body and Soul

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Belfast date has been cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Will we be able to get a refund if we can't make the Thursday?

ImARebel wrote: »
    Will we be able to get a refund if we can't make the Thursday?

Absolutely.

mosstin wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Super thanks!

has anyone had ticket master get in touch about refunds?

• Advertisement

ImARebel wrote: »
    has anyone had ticket master get in touch about refunds?

I got a general email to say Dublin date was changed and that if I wanted a refund to send the ticket back to them. Not sure about Belfast but they will refund in full.

Odd, I didn't get it, sent them an email and they've refunded my money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Looking forward to this tonight, wonder if the change of date will have a effect on how big a crowd they get tonight as it seems tickets are still on sale for this.

Looking at their set list for this tour, I can't imagine them playing for to long
    13 songs, two of them covers as well
    . Anyway here's hoping it's a great gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

I was wondering about that. Playlists indicate a 45 min set..
    The Olympia site says stage at around 9 till 10.30

Approximate stage times as follows: Doors open 7pm, support from DJ Punctual from 7, The Avalanches due on stage around 9pm. We expect the show to be over around 10.30pm/11pm. Please note, times subject to change as always and should be used as a guideline only.

Nialler73 wrote: »
    I was wondering about that. Playlists indicate a 45 min set..
    The Olympia site says stage at around 9 till 10.30

Approximate stage times as follows: Doors open 7pm, support from DJ Punctual from 7, The Avalanches due on stage around 9pm. We expect the show to be over around 10.30pm/11pm. Please note, times subject to change as always and should be used as a guideline only.

Depends on the band really, some start earlier and some start later. If they start at 9 going by their set this should be done and dusted well before 10:30 even with the encore. Looking forward to this as Since I Left You is one of my favourite albums of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Jeez.... I've had longer dumps than that.

Jeez.... I've had longer dumps than that.

Criminally short, especially as they have two albums worth of material (actually think the support act played just as long), they even did two cover versions. did hear a few grumbles at the end about how short it was. It was enjoyable enough, took them a while to get the Circle section going. Wasn't too crazy on the version of Frontier Psychiatrist, no Spanish guitar outro which I love from that song. Did love the drummer, he was really giving it socks as was the female vocalist. Overall a good show but way too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah was very short, an hour max, when they said this was their last tune prior to the encore I was shocked that it was coming to an end so quickly. Enjoyed the gig and they have some great tunes but part of me wondered how much of it was live (aside from the drummer who was great), the vocalists just seemed to be singing over the original vocals for a lot of their tunes. Took me a while to get into it but overall a good gig, thought If I was a Folkster was by far their best tune of the night.

Yeah was very short, an hour max, when they said this was their last tune prior to the encore I was shocked that it was coming to an end so quickly. Enjoyed the gig and they have some great tunes but part of me wondered how much of it was live (aside from the drummer who was great), the vocalists just seemed to be singing over the original vocals for a lot of their tunes. Took me a while to get into it but overall a good gig, thought If I was a Folkster was by far their best tune of the night.

Definitely backing tracks with some of the vocals, on Since I Left You and Because I'm me for sure, the rapper guy probably did more actually singing then she did. Guns of Brixton might be the only thing she fully sang all night. But she did a good job at getting the crowd pumped, which it took near the end of the set for everyone in the seating area to get off their seats, definitely anything on Since I Left You got the biggest reactions. The Drummer was the star of the show for sure, he must have some drive to go most nights like that. Wont be surprised if this gig will split opinion with some, did hear a few moan about how short it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Looper007 wrote: »
    Criminally short, especially as they have two albums worth of material (actually think the support act played just as long), they even did two cover versions. did hear a few grumbles at the end about how short it was. It was enjoyable enough, took them a while to get the Circle section going. Wasn't too crazy on the version of Frontier Psychiatrist, no Spanish guitar outro which I love from that song. Did love the drummer, he was really giving it socks as was the female vocalist. Overall a good show but way too short.

Wait...the drummer was a guy? I guess me and my mate should probably stop talking about how hot the female drummer was.

Definitely backing tracks with some of the vocals, on Since I Left You and Because I'm me for sure, the rapper guy probably did more actually singing then she did. Guns of Brixton might be the only thing she fully sang all night. But she did a good job at getting the crowd pumped, which it took near the end of the set for everyone in the seating area to get off their seats, definitely anything on Since I Left You got the biggest reactions. The Drummer was the star of the show for sure, he must have some drive to go most nights like that. Wont be surprised if this gig will split opinion with some, did hear a few moan about how short it was.
    Easy Rod wrote: »
    Wait...the drummer was a guy? I guess me and my mate should probably stop talking about how hot the female drummer was.

I understand the confusion. However, I can settle this for all of you.......
    giphy.gif

Easy Rod wrote: »

Was it a woman :eek: damn I need to get to specsavers. In my defence I did have a drink or two. Anyway she was awesome.

I thought the drummer was Honey G

Way Too Short... It took a while for the sound to sort itself out at the start as well. It was very swampy, maybe we were too close to the front. Had a good boogie though and as long as I can say that after a gig on a Thursday night I'm happy...
    Did they announce that that was the vocalists 1st night with them... or was I hearing things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Was it a woman :eek: damn I need to get to specsavers. In my defence I did have a drink or two. Anyway she was awesome.

I would not be taking my word for it as I also had drink taken, either way a great performer. If it was a female all the better, if not my entire life is a lie. :eek:

I was up the front and I was sure that Dude was a lady!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

I wasn't at the gig but was looking fwd to seeing how it went. Pretty sure it's Paris Jeffree touring on the drums.. (female)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

From what I could see the drummer was definitely a lady! Very entertaining to watch, but I think she'll actually have a lot of shoulder trouble in later life if she keeps up drumming like that.

Anyhoo back to the gig, though it was very enjoyable, but very short! I think it might have just about tipped the hour mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Was surprised I was surprised at how short their set was - I thought it would have worked very well in a festival setting but also felt a little short changed at scraping over the hour mark

Advertisement