Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the leap card worth getting?

Options
  • 29-04-2017 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭

Reading a lot over in the Dublin and transport forums about how it's more hassle than it's worth, anyone have it for Cork and do ye find it convenient?

I live in Douglas and work in the city, I generally walk in and get the bus out, weather dependent, and if I'm going out for the night I'd get the bus as well. At 2.20 a pop that can stack up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Anyone I know that has a Leap card has the taxsaver rate through their workplace. So that way it does save money if you used it most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I have one and I think it's handy enough, especially if you can use their app with your phone. It nice having the ability to top up the card using your phone without having to go into stores to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,435 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most of the complaints are people expecting too much of it, demanding future additional **now** or people who don't understand it.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=235 Better map of red and green zones: https://about.leapcard.ie/cork
    https://about.leapcard.ie/about/fares-discounts

You get 20-25% of standard fares and if you use lots of buses in one day, the fare is capped.

Rather than having to top-up, I set-up auto-load for €20 - my balance never hits zero (once I have money in the bank :)).

The same Leap Card can be used on any service that accepts Leap Card - Dublin region, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We each have one in our house. I find them very handy.

It was a bit of a faff at the start when the bus drivers didn't know what to do with them, quizically changed glasses and prodded some machine very very slowly, but that was years ago. It's much smoother now. They mostly have the hang of it.

We went with the ones that have a little photo printed on them, so if we lose them they can't be used by anyone else and the balance transfers to new card. (In theory, have not personally tested!)

I use the android app to top up mine as I'm not a frequent user... we have another one on the auto-top-up.

It's cheaper, you don't need cash for the bus, it works.

Thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Reading a lot over in the Dublin and transport forums about how it's more hassle than it's worth, anyone have it for Cork and do ye find it convenient?

I live in Douglas and work in the city, I generally walk in and get the bus out, weather dependent, and if I'm going out for the night I'd get the bus as well. At 2.20 a pop that can stack up.

Leap fare in Cork is €1.61 so you'd be saving 59c a go with a Leap Card. What's​ not to like about that? Plus no hassle looking for change etc. And set it to auto uploaded credit and you never have to worry about it running out of credit either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Have one myself since i moved to cork maybe the best thing i have ever got costs me 3.22 a day to get to and from work and if i was driving it would could a hell of a lot more as its nearly 9km on the bus to work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I work in Dublin so use it daily there, but find it really handy back at home in Cork.

Biggest bonus apart from the cheaper fares is that I can jump on a bus with my wife & three kids and pay for the whole group in one go at the reduced rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

I use it as have a general Leap card. I looked into it before I got it about a year ago, I found it has made a difference with the saving, over 50c a bus journey just for Douglas to town each journey. (It's 1.60 ish a fare on Leap)

I found it just less hassle, no handling cash or scrimping small change together. I sometimes head out to Blarney from Mahon and have found a great saving for routes like that. I've used mine in Dublin - a great saver on the Dart and Luas - but generally I wouldn't be going back to using cash for buses. For the amount of times I've walked with heavy shopping or over tired a 40 mins or more because I couldn't afford the 2.20 for a bus on a tight budget I can actually justify the lower fare on the Leap card now. Topping up is easy with a load of options and you can track your payments on the website and monitor your usage, although think it's about 12/24 hrs before fares deducted update.

I think it's great as it cuts the hassle worrying about keeping the few quid handy on a night out, no hassle when you're running for the last bus knowing that they will leave earlier than it says and no rummaging for change after that frantic dash either!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Have one myself since i moved to cork maybe the best thing i have ever got costs me 3.22 a day to get to and from work and if i was driving it would could a hell of a lot more as its nearly 9km on the bus to work
    Absolutely and you don't have the stress of driving in heavy traffic or the expense of parking a car. Highly recommend a leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Victor wrote: »

You get 20-25% of standard fares and if you use lots of buses in one day, the fare is capped.

Outside of Dublin the capping isn't automatic. There are 24 hour tickets but they have to be specifically requested by the passenger on the first journey in the 24 hours. Otherwise its just a regular fare.

That said a 59c discount for each journey adds up rapidly. And makes the extra time to load the bus worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭quagmire47

I live in the suburbs and would mostly only use the bus at weekends. I never realised how much I was spending on/using the bus until I had to top up a leap card to travel. In my opinion, it's totally worth it if you use the bus service at all. I've had it since last September and have saved €29 on fares. It's very handy and I for one am glad I have one even though I'm not a daily user.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

My son wants to get a leap card. He's 15 yrs. What's the quickest way of getting it? We live near Cork city. Can he get in a shop for immediate use? What is the set up fee and what does he need to bring with him ie. Proof of identity, age etc.
    Many thanks for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

normanbond wrote: »
    My son wants to get a leap card. He's 15 yrs. What's the quickest way of getting it? We live near Cork city. Can he get in a shop for immediate use? What is the set up fee and what does he need to bring with him ie. Proof of identity, age etc.

buy it online https://www.leapcard.ie/Home/index.html

Dbu wrote: »

Thanks for reply. I did look at the above website but it doesn't clearly tell you what is needed to get a leap card for immediate use.
    Just looking for a checklist so that it can be issued without any fuss.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

Many shops have them. See the map here: https://about.leapcard.ie/about/where-to-buy

And yes, in a shop you can get the card and top it up immediately. Since your son is 15 years old, he does not need a proof of age.

"The quickest way to buy an adult or child card 5 – 15 is over the counter in one of over 650 outlets in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford."

"Child Card 16 – 18 needs to be personalised with your photo. "

That's great news!
    Many thanks

Everyone who uses the bus, even occasional users, should get one. Leap fares are 30% cheaper than cash equivalent. And on top of that as part of the Patrick Street bus measure, they're even cheaper until 15th September at €1 per journey for an adult and 50c for a child every day after 2pm. For anyone using the bus it's a no brainer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The one euro fare atm after 2pm is great! 1.89 otherwise into town from Ballincollig, compared to this time last year when it was nearly 8 euro return to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Very annoying that the app isn't available on the Iphone though - would be so handy to be able to top up without going to a shop.

leahyl wrote: »
    Very annoying that the app isn't available on the Iphone though - would be so handy to be able to top up without going to a shop.

You can thank Apple for that. They limit the NFC uses on the iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You can thank Apple for that. They limit the NFC uses on the iPhone.

i know....what is NFC though? :o Why would Apple limit its use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Thanks for reply. I did look at the above website but it doesn't clearly tell you what is needed to get a leap card for immediate use.
    Just looking for a checklist so that it can be issued without any fuss.....
    Any shop with payzone should sell them. I bought mine in Parnell place you shell out a fiver which you can use as credit I think. I got on a bus an hour after getting mine and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Probably is worth getting. Mates down last weekend had it, carrigtwohill to town was 1e. Sucker here paying 2.70 (don't think I've money on my leap card). If you've plans on using the bus/train a bit, go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

victor8600 wrote: »
    Many shops have them. See the map here: https://about.leapcard.ie/about/where-to-buy

And yes, in a shop you can get the card and top it up immediately. Since your son is 15 years old, he does not need a proof of age.

"The quickest way to buy an adult or child card 5 – 15 is over the counter in one of over 650 outlets in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford."

"Child Card 16 – 18 needs to be personalised with your photo. "

I went in to Twilight Stores in Cork yesterday after looking at that map. I mostly walk around town but thought I might give the Leap card a go. They said you can only get the card in the bus station. I decided I'd just keep walking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Definitely worth getting. I only only use the bus occasionally, but I even find it handy. Works out cheaper as well, and its usage isn't limited to Cork (i.e, if you're up in Dublin it's really handy to have)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,435 ✭✭✭✭Victor

shnaek wrote: »
    I went in to Twilight Stores in Cork yesterday after looking at that map.
    Are they a Leap Card agent. Not all Payzone agents are Leap Card agents,
    They said you can only get the card in the bus station.
    You were misinformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

leahyl wrote: »
    i know....what is NFC though? :o Why would Apple limit its use?

NFC is near field communication, basically the chip in the phone that allows it to read the card. Apple seem to like keeping their stuff locked down (thinking they are doing people a favour with "security"?) hence not being able to download apps outside of the app store like you can with android etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Are they a Leap Card agent. Not all Payzone agents are Leap Card agents,
    They were on that map on the website where they say you can buy the cards, but perhaps that map isn't accurate, that wouldn't be a major surprise.
    You were misinformed.
    yeah, I thought it sounded BS alright.

Advertisement