Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I want to buy your home" letter

Options
  • 29-04-2017 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I am interested in buying an apartment in a particular development and I was thinking of putting a letter in each apartment's letterbox addressed to the homeowner with a short letter basically asking if they are interested in selling their home.

Good or bad idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

You might get a few smart ass replies, but it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,256 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Funny but I had a chat with a guy in work who did that in the last few weeks. He said it was great for meeting people and some people rang him up and shared info about house prices in the area. It didn't directly lead to him buying the house but it was no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭touts

Telling a potential seller that you are desperate to buy if only they would sell to you is never a good way to start a negotiation. Get an estate agent to leaflet drop the building instead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

touts wrote: »
    Telling a potential seller that you are desperate to buy if only they would sell to you is never a good way to start a negotiation. Get an estate agent to leaflet drop the building instead.

Swings and roundabouts. Getting an EA involved is an open invitation to find yourself bidding against others rather than negotiating with a homeowner.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

I get them all the time. I'm not interested in selling so I ignore but if someone is considering selling, you may get response. I'd say go for it, no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

touts wrote: »

Why would you get an estate agent to do what you can do yourself? They are usually useless and not able to answer calls and generally hopeless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

For another perspective we are renting and get them all the time. I find them extremely annoying as they add extra stress to our lives.

The ones from DNG promise the owner the world if they sell but they are forgetting the potential casualty of tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,256 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

gizmo81 wrote:
    For another perspective we are renting and get them all the time. I find them extremely annoying as they add extra stress to our lives.

Can't you just bin them and then you know the landlord isn't getting them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

We do to be honest. I just find it stressful, it's a forthrightly reminder the landlord can sell up anytime and people are aggressively pursuing landlords to do this.
    Can't you just bin them and then you know the landlord isn't getting them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

gizmo81 wrote: »
    We do to be honest. I just find it stressful, it's a forthrightly reminder the landlord can sell up anytime and people are aggressively pursuing landlords to do this.

But the tenant is getting them and not the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

jayjay2010 wrote:
    Good or bad idea?

If you are offering more than what the owners could get from having people bid up the price then yes.

There nothing to really lose by trying it other than printing the letters and the time walking around putting them in letter boxes.

But if I wanted to sell then I'd be looking to get the maximum price through a bidding war.

Advertisement