Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the best way to meal prep?

• 29-04-2017 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I'd like to start prepping veg beforehand and maybe chicken too.

I can't decide whether I should freeze or refrigerate?

Do peeled and chopped veg in the fridge lose it's nutrient value?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Veg will turn to mush if you freeze it because of the water content that expands when it's frozen.

I think the best policy is to refrigerate it since your going to be eating it in a few days anyway. Make sure your refrigerator is turned up high.

Meat is fine in the freezer, uncooked or cooked, but looses something in taste and texture if it's cooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

learn_more wrote: »
    Veg will turn to mush if you freeze it because of the water content that expands when it's frozen.

I think the best policy is to refrigerate it since your going to be eating it in a few days anyway. Make sure your refrigerator is turned up high.

Meat is fine in the freezer, uncooked or cooked, but looses something in taste and texture if it's cooked.
    WHAT? veg goes mushy? meat loses it taste and texture if its cooked? are you for real? are you suggesting we dont cook our meat? lolz blue steak for everyone!
    in that case there would be no such thing as frozen veg?
    I prep all my food on a Sunday afternoon, egg muffins for breakfast- cooked and cooled they go in the freezer their full of veg.
    Lunch is a mix of turkey burgers, turkey meatballs, chicken satay things with green veg and brown rice, pasta etc. meals from Wednesday onwards go in the freezer, same as soup cooled and straight in.
    smoothie mix fruit and a bit of froyo also go in the freezer.
    Dinners of  prepped burritos, slow cooker mixes with veg ready to dump into the pot, all in the freezer.

I dont experience mushy veg... and i dont experience an issue with the texture of my meat, (because i can cook ya know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

WHAT? veg goes mushy? meat loses it taste and texture if its cooked? are you for real? are you suggesting we dont cook our meat? lolz blue steak for everyone!
    I prep all my food on a Sunday afternoon, egg muffins for breakfast- cooked and cooled they go in the freezer their full of veg.
    Lunch is a mix of turkey burgers, turkey meatballs, chicken satay things with green veg and brown rice, pasta etc. meals from Wednesday onwards go in the freezer, same as soup cooled and straight in.
    smoothie mix fruit and a bit of froyo also go in the freezer.
    Dinners of  prepped burritos, slow cooker mixes with veg ready to dump into the pot, all in the freezer.

I dont experience mushy veg... and i dont experience an issue with the texture of my meat, (because i can cook ya know)

Charming post. Alright then.
    WHAT? veg goes mushy?

Yes cooked veg goes mushy if frozen in a household freezer. Better results are had the lower the water content. As an extreme example try putting a raw tomato in your freezer and see what you get.

Frozen veg you get in supermarkets are instantly frozen, totally unlike the process in your household freezer which is a slow process. Industrial instant freezing mitigates the destructive process of the freezing process but doesn't alleviate it altogether, which is why frozen veg is never as nice as fresh veg, but the convenience element is sometimes worth it. Also take into account that bought frozen veg is always UNCOOKED.Why do you think that is ? Pay attention now I know you can do it as can the persons that thanked your post.
    meat loses it taste and texture if its cooked?

If you look at my post again you will see it was obvious that what I meant was that cooked meat...looses it's taste and texture when frozen in a household freezer. If you can't see any difference I wouldn't be coming round to yours for a dinner party any time soon.

That's all fine but I am actually a cook which is why I know what I'm talking about. Ya know.

If there is anything I just said that your not clear about or you would like to argue further please don't hesitate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

learn_more wrote:
    That's all fine but I am actually a cook which is why I know what I'm talking about. Ya know.

Think you're overcooking the veg then, easily done, many 'cooks' do.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

• Advertisement
Advertisement