Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time buyer - Advice needed

Options
  • 29-04-2017 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I am looking to buy a small property, newly built, it costs 155,000 EUR.
    I am looking for the best possible scenario in order to avail of the first time buyer grant and to choose the best mortgage type.

I am looking to borrow 120,000 and spread it over 35 years, I assume that I will get 7,500 for the first time buyer scheme and I want to put that straight into my repayments as a lump sum.
    In addition to the above, I intend to repay about 12,000 EUR a year for the first 2 years to the bank in order to reduce my mortgage repayments or length.

is the above scenario feasible and what mortgage type should I go for?
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

It has to be your principal private residence

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Limitless_Dub

is it possible to get the best advice assuming that I will live in it and use it as my main residential property? first post will be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Monkeyjoe

Hi Limitless_Dub

I personally would try and drop the 35 years down to save interest, but it depends on your financial situation.

If you have paid over €7750 in taxes over the last 4 years, this is what you would get from HTB. The payment goes straight to the contractor/builder. If you haven't done so, I would suggest starting the process through revenue.ie.

So, if you want a mortgage of 120000 you would need a deposit of 27250. Remember you will have extra costs like stamp duty, solicitors, flooring and furnishings etc when moving in.

is it possible to get the best advice assuming that I will live in it and use it as my main residential property? first post will be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Monkeyjoe wrote: »
    Hi Limitless_Dub

I personally would try and drop the 35 years down to save interest, but it depends on your financial situation.

If you have paid over €7750 in taxes over the last 4 years, this is what you would get from HTB. The payment goes straight to the contractor/builder. If you haven't done so, I would suggest starting the process through revenue.ie.

So, if you want a mortgage of 120000 you would need a deposit of 27250. Remember you will have extra costs like stamp duty, solicitors, flooring and furnishings etc when moving in.

The deposit is 10% of the house price (not the mortgage value) which is not €27250 or anything like it

€15,500 is the deposit and that's spilt €7750 from OP and €7750 from HTB (paid straight to builder)

Also needed on top of deposit is stamp duty and legal fees

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭trobbin

Remember anyone trying too avail of the HTB scheme must be drawing down a mortgage with a maximum of 20% deposit. If you've got more than that as a deposit you don't qualify, it's called the debt trap.

So someone that saved really hard and wants to pay a 50% deposit on a new build is excluded.

There's so many things wrong in this country regarding land and the boxes being placed on it, and the fickle laws and taxes, a huge adjustment is coming down the line. Too much wait on the shoulders of the slaves at the moment, breeding space will happen.

Be careful with your purchase and borrowing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

If you have 50% deposit you probably don't need help to buy but that's a different discussion for a different day. OP be careful about advice you get on a public forum regarding something as important as a mortgage. Best advice comes from professionals some people here, however well intentioned, just have it plain wrong sometimes.

If you are a first time buyer, of a new build, by a builder and development registered with the scheme you will get 5% of purchase price as a grant. This goes towards your 10% deposit requirement. In your case it's 7750 as already stated. Full deposit is 15500. As for the mortgage flexibility, get yourself a good broker/advisor, free to have a chat. Since your username suggests you are a Dub I presume you are buying well.outside Dublin with a cost of 155k?

I believe this was reduced to 70% LTV.
    trobbin wrote: »
    Remember anyone trying too avail of the HTB scheme must be drawing down a mortgage with a maximum of 20% deposit. If you've got more than that as a deposit you don't qualify, it's called the debt trap.

So someone that saved really hard and wants to pay a 50% deposit on a new build is excluded.

There's so many things wrong in this country regarding land and the boxes being placed on it, and the fickle laws and taxes, a huge adjustment is coming down the line. Too much wait on the shoulders of the slaves at the moment, breeding space will happen.

Be careful with your purchase and borrowing

This sounds like Silverbanks in Baldoyle. 1 beds started at 155k.

bmwguy wrote: »
    If you have 50% deposit you probably don't need help to buy but that's a different discussion for a different day. OP be careful about advice you get on a public forum regarding something as important as a mortgage. Best advice comes from professionals some people here, however well intentioned, just have it plain wrong sometimes.

If you are a first time buyer, of a new build, by a builder and development registered with the scheme you will get 5% of purchase price as a grant. This goes towards your 10% deposit requirement. In your case it's 7750 as already stated. Full deposit is 15500. As for the mortgage flexibility, get yourself a good broker/advisor, free to have a chat. Since your username suggests you are a Dub I presume you are buying well.outside Dublin with a cost of 155k?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Monkeyjoe wrote: »
    This sounds like Silverbanks in Baldoyle. 1 beds started at 155k.

For one beds you would be doing well to get an 80% Mortgage.

Will be more like a 60% Mortgage, or up to 75% for an absolutely excellent applicant. Has anyone here for an 80% mortgage for a one bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

bmwguy wrote: »
    If you have 50% deposit you probably don't need help to buy

Well I need help now to pay off the extra 20k all the houses increased in price since this scheme came in. I feel sorry for people who saves for years because house prices just went up overnight and they don't even get the money that caused this...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

TBi wrote: »
    Well I need help now to pay off the extra 20k all the houses increased in price since this scheme came in. I feel sorry for people who saves for years because house prices just went up overnight and they don't even get the money that caused this...

I never thought it was a good idea myself. Could see that at least in short-term it was going to increase demand more than supply, no matter what govt spokesperson said. Don't like govt artificially intervening like they did.

Advertisement