Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Essays

Options
  • 29-04-2017 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I was wondering what the appropriate length of an Irish Essay at higher level would be?

I'm not sure, since the booklet states to write 500-600 +, I wrote about 600 + in my mock essay (wrote 3.5 A4 pages), got 64% with 1 single grammar mistake. My teacher told me it was "a bit short" , is it actually expected to be writing 1000 + word essays at higher level for upwards of 90%?

I just can't comprehend learning off another 2-3 essays at that length to be fully prepared for the l.c.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

You mention "learning off" essays. Examiners will never fall for this. You need to stick to the title and you must discuss the statement you are given. So many people learn off general essays, and it's really not the way to go.

To answer your question, 3 pages is definitely enough. Quality over quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

What did you get for ábhar? If your Irish is amazing and the essay isn't relevant to the title, you won't get high marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ImaCabbage

Well I "learned off" plenty of phrases relevant to specific topics like sport, education and mental health (the mock essay which I was prepared for). Would you recommend doing that?

I had plenty of relevant things on mental health and its causes, how it effects people, possible solutions etc (title was something along the lines of : "mental health is a great issue of today's world, discuss")

Also we didn't get specific marks for ábhar or grammar, just an overall. Everything was ticked except where I made 1 grammar mistake.

Advertisement