Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No NCB from the past 2 years, will insurance be too high?

• 29-04-2017 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4 Guriek

Hi,

I am wondering if any of you can give me a hint about insurance rates when one has not driven in years, therefore no NCB from the past 2 years.

In the past had both motorbike and car and about 5 years of NCB, I think I was with Quinn Insurance. I had a VSTROM 650 first, then I upgraded to a BMW1200GSA. Then for personal reasons had to move back to my country for 5 years, where I drove car. Then I came back to Ireland 2.5 years ago with no bike and because lived and worked in city center did not need any motor vehicle.

Now I might need to buy a bike again for commuting (and actually looking forward to it, and perfect excuse to get back in 2 wheels) but I read an article about insurance going to the roof (about 3 to 4k) if you did not have NCB for the last 2 years. Even if I ask for certificate for insurance from my country, record is 3 years old.

Car driving license since 1995 and motorbike since 2007.

Anybody have insight about similar situation?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The good( or bad news) is that there are only 4 companies that insure bikes. So pick a bike you like and in an hour you'll know how reasonable or not the quotes will be. Your location, age, licence etc has a bearing so no 2 quotes will be similar and sometimes a company that's reasonable for me could be terrible for you and vice verse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Del2005 wrote: »
    So pick a bike you like and in an hour you'll know how reasonable or not the quotes will be.

I agree would but pick a selection or 3 or 4 differing machines that would be acceptable. Another V-strom should be insurable or maybe an XT or Transalp. If the OP has a preference for adventure style bikes, then that's a goods start. The value of the bike would probably play a big part of the picture when NCD is a factor.

The other question to the OP is whether his licence is Irish or foreign. If it's foreign, it might be worth questioning what the difference would be for exchanging it to Irish against the different bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Hey OP, I'm only back on bikes a few months after like 4 years off them. I lost my NCB and I lost an insurance assessment I had done with Liberty when i initially did my IBT.

My policy this year is costing me ~€800, and that includes a little bit extra due to monthly payments.

Bike is a 2002 Honda VFR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Guriek

Thanks all for replying. Seems it might not be as high as I feared. I'm just over 40 and I requested the exchange of my foreign license last week. Hopefully it won't take 3 months to get the irish converted one.

It all depends now on where me and family end up living after landlord cancelled our rent. We are looking to move out of Dublin to avoid the insane housing market, hence the need for a bike for commuting. As soon as I get new home I'll start calling.

I would be looking at something that's mostly commuter friendly, and that I could take for weekend spins. Also that has similar riding position as a VStrom. So another VStrom of even a Deauville would be good. I think the deauville maybe would be cheaper to insure. No need anything more than that. I'm 6'2" so I'd rather get something not too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Car insurance is going crazy (due to bogus claims) but, fingers crossed, bike insurance appears to be stable.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Car insurance is going crazy (due to bogus claims) but, fingers crossed, bike insurance appears to be stable.

Most of the increases in insurance is from dodgy investment, dodgy claims are definitely an issue but not as big as the lack of return on most investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Guriek

Well got decent quote online from Liberty while testing to see how it would look like. 450€ (fire & theft) with no NCB for a deauville. But then called CornMarket, agent started asking questions, then came this one:

Agent: "What are you going to use the motorbike for?"
    Me: "Mmm, don't know the usual: commute to work and the eventual weekend ride".
    Agent: "I am sorry but with no NCB we cannot cover you for commuting.".

I started laughing, asked him what was i supposed to do with the bike then? he said that should be used for leisure and proceeded to hanged up, like that.

So basically for them it is safer to have fun with the bike than going to work.

Will try this week the other insurance companies.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

All those insurance people have never been on a bike in their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Guriek wrote: »
    Well got decent quote online from Liberty while testing to see how it would look like. 450€ (fire & theft) with no NCB for a deauville. But then called CornMarket, agent started asking questions, then came this one:

Agent: "What are you going to use the motorbike for?"
    Me: "Mmm, don't know the usual: commute to work and the eventual weekend ride".
    Agent: "I am sorry but with no NCB we cannot cover you for commuting.".

I started laughing, asked him what was i supposed to do with the bike then? he said that should be used for leisure and proceeded to hanged up, like that.

So basically for them it is safer to have fun with the bike than going to work.

Will try this week the other insurance companies.

Cornmarket are exiting the Irish market anyway so I don't know why they even took your phone call.

erica74 wrote: »
    Cornmarket are exiting the Irish market anyway so I don't know why they even took your phone call.

They arent exiting it yet, they are still taking new business until July I think, cant recall the email exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Try Principal. I'm turning 42 later this month and I've just started biking. I've an A Learner Permit and a Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2. No NCB yet. Principal offered fully comp for €539. I said that it was going to be stored in the driveway, used for commuting, has some aftermarket stuff (heated grips, cans) and that's what they offered. Had to send them pictures of my learner permit and IBT cert and that was it.

I had also called Carole Nash and Cornmarket. Carole Nash's initial quote was more expensive and then when I called back, it was €200 more expensive again. :confused:

Cornmarket would only offer me TPFT and domestic and pleasure only. I said thanks, but no good. :confused:

Advertisement