Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Cadetship 2018

Options
  • 29-04-2017 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi folks, anyone heard anything about EI running their Cadetship again this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ScotWings

Haven't heard, but if it's like last year, it'll open towards the end of June for applications

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Bump!
    Perhaps they aren't running it this year? Haven't heard anything but am open to correction...

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Still early days I think. In years before last I believe it was September. So could be between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

It was opened on the 27th of June last year so keep an eye out next Monday 26th. Cityjet one is open at the moment but there doesn't seem to be much interest in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 a320famalam

Still nothing on this? No insider info knocking about?

I asked an internal myself a few weeks ago and he told me they were thinking of scrapping the scheme all together because IAG don't like it, although he wasn't sure if it was running one more time of not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

I am checking the website daily. I really hope its running this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 adrianooo231

Me too, I am loosing hope that it is running this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

people on pprune speculate that IAG has pulled the plug on the scheme. No real source has been quoted so take it as you will. However, I'm fairly skeptical about it running this year, it should have been announced already and it looks like FTE is getting busy doing schemes for other airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Id say its a non runner from now on. The current management just want cuts and things as cheap as possible, to hell with quality and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I was told by one pilot that the scheme, if it goes ahead, will involve an actual cost from the cadet, ie, they will pay for a chunk of the cadetship year or they pay for the Type outright. Previously, they had to show that they had some kind of access to funds. This change is being driven by accountants and does not have the universal love of the pilot body, who want to retain free cadetships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

The return of the short-sighted bean-counting...

where one door closes another one opens.. Word on the street is, Titan Airways is about to announce their cadetship next week - it's not going to be as great as Aer Lingus - as in, it will be open only to CPL/ME/IR holders. However, MCC not mandatory (will be provided as part of the course) and type/line training fully bonded

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I don't believe that Ryanair ever ran a credit scheme, so what are the benefits that EI see in such a scheme that Ryanair don't?

smurfjed wrote: »
    I don't believe that Ryanair ever ran a credit scheme, so what are the benefits that EI see in such a scheme that Ryanair don't?

to speculate - the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet have historically went after rich kids or people who are willing or silly enough to gamble with a lot of their own or borrowed money.. although most of them probably end up as pretty good pilots, I dare to guess, that some of the populous also has a side effect of following the money, as in, at their earliest convenience move on to Middle East/China or wherever they will be paid more.. this leaves the lo-cos scrambling with experienced captain shortages, having to overpay for contractors or going after ACMIs

airlines who breed their own in one way or the other don't seem to be struggling with crewing

martinsvi wrote: »
    to speculate - the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet have historically went after rich kids or people who are willing or silly enough to gamble with a lot of their own or borrowed money.. although most of them probably end up as pretty good pilots, I dare to guess, that some of the populous also has a side effect of following the money, as in, at their earliest convenience move on to Middle East/China or wherever they will be paid more.. this leaves the lo-cos scrambling with experienced captain shortages, having to overpay for contractors or going after ACMIs

airlines who breed their own in one way or the other don't seem to be struggling with crewing

Any evidence for this?

Any evidence for this?

I'm not sure what you mean? Ryanair charge 30k for type rating and they will not pay you until your safety pilot is released (effectively you must be able to survive for 6 months doing job without a pay), easyJet only considers CTC/CAE/FTE graduates who can afford to pay some 20-30k extra on the same CPL/ME/IR everyone else is getting.. is this news to you? These are the very same airlines complaining about crew shortages, you want evidence - why dont you visit your favorite pilot recruitment website and have a look on the vacancies..

I'm not sure what you mean? Ryanair charge 30k for type rating and they will not pay you until your safety pilot is released (effectively you must be able to survive for 6 months doing job without a pay), easyJet only considers CTC/CAE/FTE graduates who can afford to pay some 20-30k extra on the same CPL/ME/IR everyone else is getting.. is this news to you? These are the very same airlines complaining about crew shortages, you want evidence - why dont you visit your favorite pilot recruitment website and have a look on the vacancies..

No, it's not news to me. But it certainly doesn't suggest to me that these airlines are only interested in "rich kids" or "silly" people who don't get cadetships and have to fund their own training.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

No, it's not news to me. But it certainly doesn't suggest to me that these airlines are only interested in "rich kids" or "silly" people who don't get cadetships and have to fund their own training.
    I think his point is, that's who they are initially interested in as it mean virtually no cost for them and they still get pilots = Tick box.
    Also valid is the point on crew shortage in some of these companies. It's true, I have seen multiple pilots both FO and CPT leave for legacy carriers, Middle East etc. Of course sometimes people just change jobs, that's normal, but there seems to be a high turnover. I'm not insisting these are absolutely linked to one another, just expressing that the point made seem to be valid in my experience.

let me rephrase that - as Locker10a pointed out, these airlines are interested keeping their cost to the minimum, which then leads to only wealthy people or people who take out loans getting the jobs... which is fair enough. However the silly bit is when you are working for the company getting paid very little or nothing at all and you have a massive loan to pay back. I think things have improved slightly with industry picking up, but some 3-4 years ago it was not uncommon for crews based in seasonal bases to fly very little in winter which then led to very small incomes not really covering your monthly payments

I don't think that all airlines should run fully paid cadetships, I think there are some pitfalls associated with them also. However I think it should be the industry norm for the airline to provide a fully bonded TR and to start paying since day one for individuals who have self funded their CPL/ME/IR

just to be perfectly clear, there are a lot of guys and gals who have spent big bucks to get where they are and I have my full respect to them. It's very inspiring to see people who have put everything forward their dream and things have worked out. But it is a massive gamble after all as things don't always work out and you wouldn't want to be stuck with huge loans and no job. That's all I wanted to say really. With any luck, I'll probably be joining these gamblers myself in some time next year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

let me rephrase that - as Locker10a pointed out, these airlines are interested keeping their cost to the minimum, which then leads to only wealthy people or people who take out loans getting the jobs... which is fair enough. However the silly bit is when you are working for the company getting paid very little or nothing at all and you have a massive loan to pay back. I think things have improved slightly with industry picking up, but some 3-4 years ago it was not uncommon for crews based in seasonal bases to fly very little in winter which then led to very small incomes not really covering your monthly payments

I don't think that all airlines should run fully paid cadetships, I think there are some pitfalls associated with them also. However I think it should be the industry norm for the airline to provide a fully bonded TR and to start paying since day one for individuals who have self funded their CPL/ME/IR

This problem became a union issue in Easyjet and an agreement was reached where cadedts, or new entrant junior FOs, who were bonded and had huge loan repayments would have a minimum monthly pay, even if their roster meant they wouldn't earn that( this was a problem in winter). If you weren't in an airline who had such an agreement you'd be screwed in winter, and most guys were turning to mammy and daddy to keep up the loan repayments during winter months.

just to be perfectly clear, there are a lot of guys and gals who have spent big bucks to get where they are and I have my full respect to them. It's very inspiring to see people who have put everything forward their dream and things have worked out. But it is a massive gamble after all as things don't always work out and you wouldn't want to be stuck with huge loans and no job. That's all I wanted to say really. With any luck, I'll probably be joining these gamblers myself in some time next year

You're initial post sounded as though you regarded these people to be either rich kids, or silly with their money. I think Ryanair, to their credit, seem to offer a fair chance to anyone who meets the minimum requirements regarding licenses/ratings and ATPL passes. A few legacy carriers could take a leaf out of their book in that respect. They've recently launched a bonded APC program too.

You're initial post sounded as though you regarded these people to be either rich kids, or silly with their money. I think Ryanair, to their credit, seem to offer a fair chance to anyone who meets the minimum requirements regarding licenses/ratings and ATPL passes. A few legacy carriers could take a leaf out of their book in that respect. They've recently launched a bonded APC program too.

eh, I know.. I'm not good with words.. but you do have to have a significantly larger financial cushion if you want to go with Ryanair, than for example, the likes of Titan or Thomas Cook, who will bond you and pay from the day 1.

Speaking of Ryanair's APC programme, any more info on the Ts & Cs? Haven't heard much about it since the initial announcement on Mentours youtube channel

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

eh, I know.. I'm not good with words.. but you do have to have a significantly larger financial cushion if you want to go with Ryanair, than for example, the likes of Titan or Thomas Cook, who will bond you and pay from the day 1.

Speaking of Ryanair's APC programme, any more info on the Ts & Cs? Haven't heard much about it since the initial announcement on Mentours youtube channel

A 3 year initial contract as a contractor (with the one and only world renowned McGinley contract [/sarcasm] - have fun living during the winter months in Eastern Europe with no income and being called by crewing at 3am asking you to do another off day and face the consequences if you elect not to), and offer of a 6 year bond thereafter.
    €5k to be paid initially when you start on the APC
    if you leave them early (150 crew left Stansted last month, take from that what you will), you'll pay: €20k after 4 yrs, 14k for 5 and if you leave in the 6th you'll have €8k to repay.
    A great way to get into the industry and become another carrot chasing cadet

A 3 year initial contract as a contractor (with the one and only world renowned McGinley contract [/sarcasm] - have fun living during the winter months in Eastern Europe with no income and being called by your base captain at 3am asking you to do another off day and face the consequences if you elect not to), and offer of a 6 year bond thereafter.
    €5k to be paid initially when you start on the APC
    if you leave them early (150 crew left Stansted last month, take from that what you will), you'll pay: €20k after 4 yrs, 14k for 5 and if you leave in the 6th you'll have €8k to repay.
    A great way to get into the industry and become another carrot chasing cadet

may not be great for Irish, but if you are from Eastern Europe originally, this could be a sweet deal. It is also worth noting that just 3-4 years ago many pilots from Western Europe had to go to Africa/South East Asia to kick start their careers working in far less glamours circumstances..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

A 6 year bond??!! you'd be an idiot to do that. is it even legal to bond anyone who has paid for their Type?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Stovepipe wrote: »
    A 6 year bond??!! you'd be an idiot to do that. is it even legal to bond anyone who has paid for their Type?

It's Ryanair everything is legal. Seriously though, yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Some of the ****e companies expected from staff is a absolute joke these days. Whats nearly even worse is people signing up for it!

kona wrote: »
    Some of the ****e companies expected from staff is a absolute joke these days. Whats nearly even worse is people signing up for it!

Unfortunately there aren't too many other opportunities for low hour pilots in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Don't EI bond their cadets ?
    Having seen this from the other side, I don't have issues with an airline bonding me for training costs, around here it's €50,000 from your salary over a 1 year period, it's repaid to you 2 years after you are released to the line.

Advertisement