Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Cadetship 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Unfortunately there aren't too many other opportunities for low hour pilots in Europe.

From what i hear there is a shortage of qualified suitable pilots.
    The erosion of employee terms is concerning, im not just talking about pilots here either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Stovepipe wrote: »
    A 6 year bond??!! you'd be an idiot to do that. is it even legal to bond anyone who has paid for their Type?

the essence here is that you haven't really paid for the type, you just pay 5 grand to do their MCC + TR+ LT and off you go.. its a great step away from cadets having to cough up 30k for type rating + MCC. The deals you would have to do with your bank wouldn't be any less harsh for a 35k loan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

kona wrote: »
    From what i hear there is a shortage of qualified suitable pilots.
    The erosion of employee terms is concerning, im not just talking about pilots here either!

My understanding is it's a shortage of good pilots. I've heard around half of applicants to Ryanair fail their assessments. I think that is why they have launched this new APC program. It's probably why more airlines are running MPL schemes now as well so a trainee pilot is more "airline ready". Unfortunately this means they can charge what they want. Some of the recent MPL schemes at CTC/L3 are incredibly expensive.

It's quite bizarre that pilots, particularly low hour pilots and trainee pilots are amongst the most exploited people in the industry whilst also being amongst the most important, especially if there really is a shortage of suitable pilots in an era where many major airlines are expanding. Unfortunately, unless thousands of aspiring pilots around Europe collectively decide to not pay extortionate prices to flight schools and accept poor terms and conditions upon initial employment then the likes of Ryanair, Easyjet, CTC etc. can continue to do and charge what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

My understanding is it's a shortage of good pilots. I've heard around half of applicants to Ryanair fail their assessments. I think that is why they have launched this new APC program. It's probably why more airlines are running MPL schemes now as well so a trainee pilot is more "airline ready". Unfortunately this means they can charge what they want. Some of the recent MPL schemes at CTC/L3 are incredibly expensive.

It's quite bizarre that pilots, particularly low hour pilots and trainee pilots are amongst the most exploited people in the industry whilst also being amongst the most important, especially if there really is a shortage of suitable pilots in an era where many major airlines are expanding. Unfortunately, unless thousands of aspiring pilots around Europe collectively decide to not pay extortionate prices to flight schools and accept poor terms and conditions upon initial employment then the likes of Ryanair, Easyjet, CTC etc. can continue to do and charge what they want.

What is a good/suitable pilot? To get to that stage they have passed the knowledge and skills tests, as well as medical. So what's missing?

What is a good/suitable pilot? To get to that stage they have passed the knowledge and skills tests, as well as medical. So what's missing?

https://youtu.be/xdY0CMVfMxs?t=2m40s

According to the above, it's what is being learned (or not being learned) from the MCC course which to me would suggest teamwork/communications/interpersonal skills and implementation of SOPs. Quite a big focus on that in airline interviews, especially for cadet schemes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

If you hang around this forum long enough you'll realise that for certain posters, none of these things matter for some applicants provided they are well connected in Aer Lingus for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Negative_G wrote: »
    If you hang around this forum long enough you'll realise that for certain posters, none of these things matter for some applicants provided they are well connected in Aer Lingus for example.

Nonsense.

kona wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Excellent rebuttal.

Take a look back through any of the last few Aer Lingus Cadetship threads and you'll see numerous claims of nepotism.

It was so bad in one thread that someone believed that if you weren't from South Dublin, your chances were diminished significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Having a class 1 medical and/or ATPLs don't matter to AerLingus once your Daddy is a pilot too? Eh... would the IAA and other authorities not take issue with unqualified pilots flying commercially?

Having a class 1 medical and/or ATPLs don't matter to AerLingus once your Daddy is a pilot too? Eh... would the IAA and other authorities not take issue with unqualified pilots flying commercially?

I think there may be crossed wires here.

The point I was making is that there is a recurring theme when discussing EI cadet competitions here that nepotism is rife and that unless you have connections, you are unlikely to be chosen.

Of course this is all just conjecture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sullysark

I assume there's little to no chance of the cadet scheme this year then recruiting that many pilots. Assuming some will also join from FTE Jerez who are there at present + their own cadet scheme.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The point I was making is that there is a recurring theme when discussing EI cadet competitions here that nepotism is rife and that unless you have connections, you are unlikely to be chosen.

Of course this is all just conjecture.
    The same pattern can be found in other profession. Doctors and teaching for example.
    If a kid grows up absorbing the thought process and ethos of their parents profession then they will always have a head start over someone trying to enter the profession without family knowledge.

The perceived South Dublin 'bias' I believe is a function of socio-economic background.
    Personally in my time in EI in the early 2000's I found North Co. Dublin to be more represented. Could well be different now though.

EDIT; just to give an example. I applied to the EI cadetships in the late 90's. I'm not from Dublin, I knew no pilots. I was however told about a guy from where I lived who was an EI pilot. So I cold called him and he was nice enough to give me an hour or two of his time to chat to me about the job.
    Compare that level of prep to someone who see's and talk's to a pilot everyday of their lives.

Tenger wrote: »
    The same pattern can be found in other profession. Doctors and teaching for example.
    If a kid grows up absorbing the thought process and ethos of their parents profession then they will always have a head start over someone trying to enter the profession without family knowledge.
    The South Dublin 'bias' is a function of socio-economic background.
    Personally in my time in EI in the early 2000's I found North Co. Dublin to be more represented. Could well be different now though.

Agreed.

It gets rather tiring seeing the nepotism card whipped out at every opportunity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I think it's fair to say there is no 2018 Aer Lingus cadet programme.

Anyway BA have opened theirs ... not fully funded though as it used to be. I have a strong hunch IAG have pulled the plug on all funded cadet programmes for their airlines and they were given the option to open a self sponsored one, BA went down that route but perhaps Aer Lingus said they'd rather not run one than demand 100k from their cadets?

https://jobs.ba.com/jobs/futurepilot/

1123heavy wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say there is no 2018 Aer Lingus cadet programme.

Disappointing. Their presence at Pilot Careers Live in March suggested that there would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

I heard the cadetship is gone for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭colbarr

Bussywussy wrote: »
    I heard the cadetship is gone for the foreseeable future
    Many thanks for your email.

We are currently unsure of when the next Cadetship Programme will be going ahead at Aer Lingus.

Please monitor the Aer Lingus careers website https://www.aerlingus.com/careers/

Best Regards,

The Aer Lingus Recruitment Team

The reply to my email asking about the cadetship back in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I must commend Aer Lingus on this.

They would rather not run it than charge people 100k ... that makes me have an awful lot of respect for them to be fair.

The meaning of a cadetship has changed a lot for most, it's good that at least one crowd aren't willing to join the race to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sullysark

1123heavy wrote: »
    I must commend Aer Lingus on this.

They would rather not run it than charge people 100k ... that makes me have an awful lot of respect for them to be fair.

The meaning of a cadetship has changed a lot for most, it's good that at least one crowd aren't willing to join the race to the bottom.
    Instead they'll just recruit Irish cadets from the flight school their current cadets are at. There isn't much of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

No shortage of EU A320 pilots currently

Air Berlin
    Monarch
    Alitalia

Aer Lingus has already been proactive in engaging with Monarch pilots

So if you can hire, qualified, type rated pilots with several hundreds if not thousands of hours who already fly in Europe it would seem like a better plan

Aer Lingus deserves some credit for running the cadetship program in the form they did

Advertisement