Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return Flights Recommendations

Options
  • 30-04-2017 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭

Planning a trip home from Sydney with a couple of stopovers in Rome & Dubai on the return leg of my trip. Any recommendations on the cheapest method of booking tickets? Would an agent offer better value for a package or should I just book myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Skyscanner is usually my go to flight checker. I doubt an agent would offer better value but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Skyscanner is usually my go to flight checker. I doubt an agent would offer better value but I'm open to correction.

Flightcentre will match any written quote from Skyscanner so best way is to get a quote from Skyscanner and bring it to Flightcentre and see if they'll match it or beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

You might think it's great saving a few hundred on a flight until you realize a flying Ryanair quality plane to Oz is hell.

When I flew I went with Qantas on the new Airbus on the way over, it was awesome, but on the way back I booked KLM without thinking. There was some difference in the quality and comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You might think it's great saving a few hundred on a flight until you realize a flying Ryanair quality plane to Oz is hell.

When I flew I went with Qantas on the new Airbus on the way over, it was awesome, but on the way back I booked KLM without thinking. There was some difference in the quality and comfort.

I like Qantas. Flown a number of times with them. Whatever about getting the best deal there's a lot to be said about sticking with the bigger brands for long haul. It's worth the extra bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've flown to Australia twice and the first time I seriously skimped, getting a deal with Air France that involved stopovers in London, Paris and Beijing for €780ish. Although the flights were comfortable enough, all the stopovers take their toll and all told the journey took over 40 hours.

The second time I just went direct to Abu Dhabi and onto Sydney. The Airbus was amazing for comfort and having just one stopover makes a big difference in fatigue levels although the transfer was pretty tight and Abu Dhabi is not a really an airport you want to be sprinting through!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I like Qantas. Flown a number of times with them. Whatever about getting the best deal there's a lot to be said about sticking with the bigger brands for long haul. It's worth the extra bit.

Big leather seats, good looking flight attendants and as much free food and drink as you want. 18 hr flight to Singapore was a doodle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Big leather seats, good looking flight attendants and as much free food and drink as you want. 18 hr flight to Singapore was a doodle.
    And when the tip jar is full they go skimpy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My mam's just landed in Perth having left Dublin 13.50 yesterday Emirates. She said she walked miles in Dubai! It was a good fare (just under 1000 euro) booked by my aunt at a Flight centre in Perth. She also got a free $500 voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

To a point, maybe. Sometimes a big brand is a ****ty or declining brand in disguise.

I will +1 for flightcentre, because they will try to beat other deals, I use them a lot. But if you get better offer, do consider it. When you end up stuck in Dubai or some other connection outside of aussie business hours, neither Qantas or a travel agent is gonna help you much.

If you get a good deal with Qantas, I would check who the actual flight is with. My last flight, booked as Qantas, but flying with emirates, was memorable enough that i will not fly with emirates again. I was fortunate to be at the start of the queue, so only had to wait 3 or 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

I flew there are back with etihad (virgin australia operated by) Dublin to Abu Dhabi, A380 which was good very comfy, nice food always being fed and drinks etc.

Then abu dhabi to melbourne on a dream liner which was fantastic, first time on a dream liner. Then home from Brisbane to abu dhabi on a dream liner and then an a380 again.

Stop overs in abu dhabi were short, not too much walking, was a small enough terminal not too much to see or do. Transport from plane on landing was via bus which wasn't too bad. Plenty of space.

Overall very good experience would recommend. Even when looming at flights I feel like the extra 200 to go etihad is worth it.

Some great deals out there too. Flights to Melbourne were 500gbp return last week with qatar airways! Few months back you could get return flights to all the major aus cities for 300/400euro return, think it was with BA or maybe virgin dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kjbsrah1

I am actually looking at flights at the minute from Dublin to Perth for early next year. I have used Skyscanner (for the first time) just now, and Etihad seem to be the better deal. Never flown with them before but as other posters say, a few extra quid is more than worth it for the long haul flight to Australia. I think I might take the plunge and book the flight straight away :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I'd still recommend ringing Trailfinders. My mam is going again (29th time) early next year and just by varying a couple of days and time changes the consultant was able to get a flight for under 1000. They have access to better systems and advance notice of upcoming sales. They're also pretty cheap for insurance.

Personally I'd favour Emirates over Ethiad. When I go I just want to get there asap not do stopovers and it's marginally quicker. Plus the first leg is overnight and you pretty much sleep. Ethiad has dire inflight entertainment whereas Emirates has more up to date films. Ethiad were a bit stingy on drinks (i flew new year's eve)...one with a meal and practically asking for id for a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

aido79 wrote: »
    Flightcentre will match any written quote from Skyscanner so best way is to get a quote from Skyscanner and bring it to Flightcentre and see if they'll match it or beat it.

They'll beat it by $1 and then charge you a $49 administration fee to go along with your $1 saving.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/travel/flight-centre-beats-price-by-1-adds-on-49-fee/news-story/240ed3fcbc54c2840be730ea24ceb853

I just booked 2 flights home for November. $1143 return through skycanner and fly365.com. Flight centre was probably $50 more expensive per person. I have about $400 in flight value from my credit card but flight centre also charge you about $38 per person booking fee plus a transaction charge of 0.08% which is about $20.
    So taking into account the extra $50 per person for the flights, $38 per person booking fee and the debit card charge, its still pretty expensive. They also have a voluntary "Captains Package" that they don't ask you to opt out of which is $49 per person and doesn't really give you much at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have been using the same Travel Agent for well over 20 years now. She has worked for various companies and has a group of clients who follow her to wherever she is working. She has the knack to get fares which are the best value for money rather than just the cheapest. She will often go into the "old skool"booking system and look that way rather than rely on the search engines most TA's use. Quite often she has found us fares which did not show on the normal searches. Can also advise why a slightly dearer fare is a big advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

aido79 wrote: »

Not if it is an overseas agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Some routes seem to be getting the Boeing 787 in place of the A380. Not sure how I feel about that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

B787 and A350 are pressurised to 6000ft rather than 8000ft. That means more oxygen available and you feel better after the flight. I hear the flight crew notice it quite a lot.

Economy seats in the Thai B787 were the best I have been in.

Advertisement